Thread: Ness d16x and PIR sensors

Thanks

Default Ness d16x and PIR sensors

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the Ness d16X alarm system and PIR sensors and also to an extent the Siren and strobe which I think I already know the answer too but will confirm.

I currently have a Bosch solution alarm system that is having issues and needs to be replaced so I was looking at replacing it with a NESS D16x unit what I needed to know is can the PIR sensors that came with the bosch run on the ness or is there something special about the way PIR sensors are manufactured that make them proprietary to the manufacturers.

I also wanted to confirm the siren and strobe and internal piezo that is currently on the bosch unit should work on the NESS D16x system am I correct in this ?

Thanks for the help I dont really want to replace things I dont have to replace as money is tight.

Regards
    ikhan42

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ikhan42 View Post
    I currently have a Bosch solution alarm system that is having issues and needs to be replaced so I was looking at replacing it with a NESS D16x
    That could be a backwards step & if the "issues" are not panel related then you may still have them. Anyhows - the EOL resistors will most likely need to be changed. The wiring configuration for the siren/strobe will need to be checked as the Bosch use a common positive & I think the Ness is a common negative. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Hi watchdog thanks for that what do you mean a backward step are you saying the bosch solution series alarm is a better alarm then the NESS D16X alarm ?

I guessed that I would need to check the wiring that bits not an issues its more a case of not buying stuff that can be reused as its a $$$ issue.

Thanks for the help

ikhan42

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    That could be a backwards step & if the "issues" are not panel related then you may still have them. Anyhows - the EOL resistors will most likely need to be changed. The wiring configuration for the siren/strobe will need to be checked as the Bosch use a common positive & I think the Ness is a common negative. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

You can still use all your existing pir's (as mentioned above, the end of line resistors will need to be changed) You can still also use your existing internal \ external and strobe. Depending on what external siren you have either a 8 Ohm horn speaker or 12v piezo siren will depend how they are wired back into the new D16. If you can follow fairly easy wring diagrams it should be no problem.
    As mentioned above, are you sure its the panel currently at fault? otherwise you could potentially inherit the old faults onto the new panel. If your detectors are getting on a bit it's probably a good time to change them over for some new ones.

Thanks

The keypad on the panel died during a lightning storm years ago (At least thats what I thought) so I brought a new keypad and it ran for a few hours and blanked out when I power off the alarm and battery and reconnect the keypad starts working again.

Then about 1 year ago the alarm just started going off when it wasnt even armed it did this a few times at which point I disconnected the alarm and stopped using it. I couldnt see what zone is triggering as the keypad turns off as mentioned above.

I like the ness alarms as they have wireless capabilities so I can install wireless PIR in areas where I cannot run cable so figured if I have to replace then may as well do it with the Ness unit.

Yes I can follow simple wiring instructions so that is no problem I just needed to make sure the PIR werent going to blow the new panel up if I buy it.

Am I correct in assuming it is the solution panel thats dead or do you guys think its a PIR or resisitor problem ?

Also is the NESS Alarm better then the Solution alarm?
    Thanks for your help guys.
    Last edited by ikhan42; 09-10-12 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks

From what you've described it does sound like the panel has suffered at the hands of the elements, lightning ect. A possible reason the alarm went off while it wasn't armed could be a faulty 24 hr zone eg. the tamper switch either inside the box or on the external siren box or a fault with a smoke detector. So if your doing a panel replacement make sure you check these possibilities otherwise they will continue with your new one.

asking if ness is better than solution is like asking if you prefer blondes over brunettes, everyone has an opinion, there are pro's and cons to both, and that also includes the blondes and brunettes. If your using ness and your happy keep using it as you wont have to re learn how to opertate and program a diferent panel.