Thread: Ness DX8 Alarm Tamper

Thanks

Default Ness DX8 Alarm Tamper

Hi am wondering how to connect tamper on hardwired PIR's where tamper is NC, I have run their tamper circuits together in series to create one circuit. The tamper of the siren strobe external box though is NO. If I wire the tamper on the Pirs in series with the tamper on the external siren box the circuit will have the correct EOL resistance ( excepting the cable resistance) but I dont see how this would work given the NO tamper would create a zero ohm circuit when tripped yet the PIR tamper would create a 2k2 resstance i.e siren box tamper resistor value.

So just how how do I connect the PIR tamper's and the external siren box tamper to the one set of tamper contacts on the alarm panel????

DO I change the NO siren box switch to a NC one yet why is this the std tamper supplied by Ness???

Am sure this is simple, just not for dumb me...

Thanks for the help in advance
    Last edited by alarmed; 09-10-12 at 07:57 PM.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

ok get the two wires from your pir tampers get the resistor and put that in series then get the NO from siren box and put that in parallel across the two wires from pir tamper then connect to panel in a zone. that way if siren tamper goes nc it shorts the zone which is unseal state will go or if the pirs are tampered it go open circuit and show alarm done......

Thanks

Many Thanks looks like I was half way there I just need to parralell the siren box tamper and remove the resisitor and have the resistor in the PIR tamper series circuit.

I just couldnt get my head around that but it seems so obvious now.

MANY THANKS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alarmed View Post
    DO I change the NO siren box switch to a NC one yet why is this the std tamper supplied by Ness???
    Ness, in their wisdom, decided a while ago that due to the inherent problems in the past with NC "plunger-style" tamper switches (which relied on a metal-to-metal contact internally that over time corroded and caused the tamper switch to not work properly), that they would change to the same type of switch, but in a NO style (which will develop the same inherent corrosion problems over time and may not work when the time comes!!!!!). On top of that, you are relying on the installer fitting the EOL resistor across the switch, and not in the panel (not always the case).

I haven't used a "plunger-style" tamper switch for over 15 years. There are much more reliable "reed-style" tamper switches now available. Shame on Ness for still supplying these switches.

The reliability issues with plunger-style tamper switches in the past has led many installers to not connect tamper switches at all. A classic story I heard was of the security installer who tossed each supplied tamper switch into a bucket, rather than using it. When the bucket was full, he would empty it and start again. I can confirm from experience when servicing installations by others that about half of all siren covers have the tampers connected.