Thread: Completely disabling a faulty NESS 5000 series with satellite siren?

Thanks

Default Completely disabling a faulty NESS 5000 series with satellite siren?

I feel like I am being held hostage by HAL 9000! Let me explain.

I moved into my house a few years ago and there was an old NESS 5000 series alarm installed. We have never bothered to use it. Recently the control panel in our bedroom has decided to start making loud beeps every hour of the day. It is whining about the battery not working. Fair enough, it was probably last replaced before I was born. I don't want to replace the battery, I just want the whole system to go away.

Now, I first thought I could run the dodgy battery flat by just unplugging the mains and waiting. After a few nights of continuously interrupted sleep that hasn't yet done the trick. I then thought I'd open up the box and simply take the battery out. "I know that you were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen."

The tamper alarm woke my sleeping daughter and probably the rest of the street (of course I'd waited till night time to do this task...). I tried turning off the mains, once again "I can't do that Dave", this bloody thing has its own backup power. I turned it back on again and madly emptied the filing cabinet to dig out the dusty tome of manuals the previous owners bequeathed us with. I eventually found the handwritten alarm code scrawled on the inside on a crumbling manilla folder and used it do silence the clearly illegally loud and long lasting siren.

Next step was to read the yellowing manual I'd just uncovered. My plan next was going to be to cut the cables to the siren, but of course that will just set it off as it's got it's own battery (according to the manual), and with no connetion presumably no way to turn it off again. Except with my sledge hammer, which I am more than willing to use unless this thing turns me to white powder first.

My current plan is to don earmuffs and remove the control panel cover, ignore the tamper alarm and rip out the battery. With no mains connected presumably that will disable the system. The only problem is I am assuming that would set the satellite siren off, since it would (I guess) interpret the lack of signal from the control panel the same as cutting the cables. Checkmate.

So, does anyone know how I can outplay this deranged robot? My current plan "I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave" is to just rip the battery out then go Bruce Banner on the satellite siren with the sledge hammer (hoping no one passing by calls the cops). Is there a somewhat more intelligent solution? I do have another code I found, starting with P and ending in E that seems to be some kind of higher order code, but from reading around this may not be sufficient to be able to completely disable the system, which would require some kind of technicians code. I thought about ringing NESS but "Hi, you don't know who I am or have any record of me but can you tell me how to disable your alarms" probably won't work too well. At least you'd hope.

Any help?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogdanovist For This Useful Post:

pca15 (15-10-12)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Start by taking down the siren if it's a Sat siren it will have it's own battery inside which will need to be disconnected once you get it apart. Then open the Ness 5000 box and disconnect the battery finally turn off the mains. Don't forget the earmuffs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Default End the Ness 5000 - Ironically

You'll need a screwdriver and a hammer.

Place the tip of the screwdriver on the "End" button and then give it a good whack with the hammer ensuring to drive the screwdriver as far in as you can.

Ness 5000 - Disabled, permanently.

Thanks

Firstly i must congratulate you on the entertaining dialogue, now onto the the alarm business.

Couple of things, do you actually have a satellite siren? Just because the manual mentions it, you may not have one installed. They are usually quite large approx 300x300 (ish). They hold a 7AH battery, same as the alarm panel and a siren. Regular ness siren boxes are smaller about 200x200 just large enough for a small horn speaker to go inside.

If you do have the satellite type then you'll need to get up to it and remove it from the wall, yes it probably go off, but just remove the battery leads and cut the cable back to the panel and it will quiet down. However if the alarm system has been unused for some time there is a good chance that the battery in the siren is dead and wont sound. If you alarm is going off inside the house when you do this, the code you have will turn it off.

In regards to the main panel, there will be mains power coming into it from somewhere, if you don't see a 18V AC plug pack in close proximity to the panel it will probably in the roof. (great i hear you say) this will need to be removed. Then open the panel and remove the battery leads, the system will now be dead, remove it off the wall and take it to the nearest cliff and see if it can fly (they can't but it's fun to watch)

Don't worry about using any codes and the like, if you just want to shut it up completely the above method will do the trick