Thread: How to 'turn off' a PowerWave 8 alarm system

Thanks

Default How to 'turn off' a PowerWave 8 alarm system

Hello all. I've just bought a house that has the above alarm installed. Basically what I want to know (in step by step instructions!) is how to turn off the power supply to it without triggering the alarm. I don't want it removed entirely, just want to cut off the power to it as the humming from the control box in the ceiling is keeping me up at night. Apparently the humming is normal for this alarm, but it bugs the heck out of me! Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers all

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weezel297 View Post
    Hello all. I've just bought a house that has the above alarm installed. Basically what I want to know (in step by step instructions!) is how to turn off the power supply to it without triggering the alarm. I don't want it removed entirely, just want to cut off the power to it as the humming from the control box in the ceiling is keeping me up at night. Apparently the humming is normal for this alarm, but it bugs the heck out of me! Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers all
    Sleep in another part of the house or get a tech out to rectify the humming.

Thanks

What's the control box doing in the ceiling in the first place? That's bad (read: lazy) installation practice, as far as I'm concerned. For starters, it makes it difficult for everyone (including the owner) to access it. It also decreases the life of the backup battery, as the extra heat in the roof (especially in summer) affects the battery charge/discharge process.

To answer the original question, you need to climb into the roof (!!!!), open the control box, pull one lead off the battery and disconnect the AC plugpack that powers the control board.

Thanks

Cool

Thanks very much for that Alarmman. Very helpful (as opposed to sleeping in another part of the house!). Interesting to learn about where control boxes should not be located and why. That's good information to know.
    I will give your suggestion a go and see how we go. Again, many thanks for the advice.

Thanks

The only time an alarm system should be heard is when triggered by an intruder.
    Any other noise is unacceptable, and indicative of a poor installation or a fault.
    If the buzzing is normal for this alarm panel, it belongs at the tip!
    Before you disconnect the power, see if you can discover what is humming. Is the the board, or the power pack?
    It is probably as a result of heat.

Thanks

Hello Hound-Dog. That is very interesting to learn. I had an electrician round for some other jobs, so I got him to take a look at it because I was pretty sure that it shouldn't be making any noise other than the alarm. He said it was safe electrically speaking which was my main concern. The humming is coming from what I'm assuming is the power pack, which is located in the roof space, which would tally with your comment that the noise is due to heat. I'm starting to think I should just get the thing taken out entirely...it's not like I've actually used it as yet. Many thanks for you advice