Thread: HELP - SMS via GSM what panel?

Banned
    Thanks

Default HELP - SMS via GSM what panel?

Background - client rings wanting a sol 16 domestic reporting via SMS. Has done his homework & this is what he wants. I suggest a 16+ & after more homework he agrees but wants the "Professional Series" PIR instead of the standard "Blueline" . The installation is in a fairly large house & partitioned to 4 areas which he turns on & off as he moves about the house. He also wants open/close notifications (don't ask ). Get it installed & then says that he needs it to report via GSM as he is disconnecting the landline. Didn't know at the time (do now) that the 16+ wont send SMS via GSM. I suggest that the voice module will solve the problem to which he agrees grudgingly stating that his SMS's are free & the voice module will cost him a call. I tell him that it will not be going off very often. At this stage I say to him that it will simply NOT do SMS via GSM & does he want me to pull it all out. Says that if that is how it has to be then go ahead. Get it all in & programmed & then he says he needs open/close notification (don't ask). He rings this morning saying that the voice messaging will cost too much & something needs to be done. I will talk to him next week about the open/closes but don't fancy my chances. Anyone know of a panel that will partition to 4 areas & do SMS reporting over GSM ?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I know you are passionate about 'giving the client what he wants', but this client sounds like he doesn't know what he needs.

The Bosch Pro series PIRs are excellent, but not pet-immune and not in my opinion necessarily suited to a resi install. Not sure if masking etc. is an issue for him and frankly if he's "serious" about security, he'll have it monitored by a graded central station rather than trying to do it himself (a massive failure waiting to happen).

There are other panels which seem to do the 'stay at home' thing better, as well as SMS/email notification of opens and closes (dont' ask) but if he has his heart set on the Bosch, so be it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

watchdog (18-11-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    Anyone know of a panel that will partition to 4 areas & do SMS reporting over GSM ?
    The new Bosch Solution 144 panel will partition up to 8 areas and do SMS reporting (using "Bosch" GSM) via a plugon GSM/GPRS module. It also supports Ethernet communications via a plugon IP module, but note that both the GSM/GPRS module and IP module cannot be fitted to the same panel - it must be one or the other.

Thanks

Despite having a long preference for their gear back in the day, Bosch's development (or acquisition of new designs) has stagnated and I've stopped paying much attention to them. Regarding the ethernet communication you've mentioned, would I be correct that it's via their proprietary Connetix protocol and consequently of limited application in the big wide world?

Thanks

Default Many Panels

There are many panels that do this with thier own GSM units.

Paradox SP6000 with a PCS200 (GSM) will do it, it can also have a IP module for iPhone/Android app. (at the same time)
    Concept will do it with a FE3000 serial connected to the UART (Not cheap)
    Crow will do it with a CS47
    Bosch as someone else mentioned.

You can also try other GSM's with inputs & outputs that are programmable. E,g map a output from the panel to send SMS for ARM/DISARM.

That wouldn't be as neat as something that picks up the zone names and user names though.