Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weirdest Australian Coin I have seen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Collectors value is only good in prosperous times.
    It diminishes in tough times to bullion value or not even that.

I find the the markup from the Mints on new issue Silver "collectors" coins ridiculous.
    Just because only 6000 are made does not justify 6X silver price, although this one is very unusual and one might be tempted, however I have seen simple round silver coins that are still way over priced.

You can get very nice Gold coins for the same bullion price as an ignot. I don't see production cost heavily reflected in this either.
    Even if it is 'only' 6000 of them, that's still 6000. It's going to be a long time before there's any sort of gain based on rarity to be made there. Well after the purchaser has turned to dust me thinks. I snagged a new A series 'Commonwealth of Australia' 1 dollar note straight from the bank in the '70s and stuck it between the pages of the dictionary where it's sat ever since. Maybe the kids 3 generations down the track will get something out of it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

xapi (23-04-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

It are often the things that you never think of at the time that become valuable for collectors one day.
    Some of the first 1966 dollar bills have collectors value, but the value of stuff you could buy for lets say a $10 bill back then probably exceeds what it would fetch today if you had hung on to it very carefully.
    I find it more exciting to collect items that have already become valuable and somehow hunt them down for a bargain price.

Nevertheless Silver is so dirt cheap now and I heard the mints in the USA have run out of silver (eagles) and can not meet the huge demand.
    1kg silver bars from the Perth mint sound more like music to me than a few of those fancy coins.
    Always room for more paperweights and door stoppers
    Shame my wallet does not allow these luxuries.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Not sure how I have not noticed this thread.
    I'm really not into the Mint striking a limited amount of uncirculated coins with a specific face value and then overcharging for them.
    They'e junk in my opinion. Their sale value is so high compared to their face value or bullion value that the mint is sucking any investment value out of them before they're sold.

Another junk idea the mint has come up with is colour printed coins. They look like they have a stick on label. They would never be practical as a circulated coin and that makes them junk too.

It's not specific to this coin either. The mint releases so many "limited" strikes that every new series coin that is struck by them devalues all the others they have struck.
    What makes coins collectable is that they have a history or they have a rarity or value that increases with time. The Perth Mint coins have neither.

One of my old bosses had been collecting pert mint coins for years. When he died his wife decided to sell them. A few were sold on ebay but the prices they got were less than the dealers were offering.

I collect real coins, ones that have been in circulation. Even proof coins get on my nerves. If you can't touch the coin then you might as well just own a picture of it. The coin has no history, it has an artificial value set by the mint, not determined by the market.
    Really the only proof coins should be held by the mint or museums. Their purpose is as a reference.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

xapi (23-04-17)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12