Thread: cordless impact wrenches

Thanks

Default cordless impact wrenches

I am after feed back on CORDLESS impact WRENCHES not air powered or impact drivers
    What are you using, what's the battery life like, will it undo all the wheel nuts on a haulpac that has been parked in a salt lake for a couple of years in other words not used to undo the kids mechano set. Iam after a mid price ranged unit as opposed to a $600 snap on etc the unfortunate thing with these things is they quote a torque figure in most cases that doesn't relate to breakout or tightening toraue there are a couple of sites that give these but data is old and for old models.

thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

They are good.
    I have Makita, Milko, and Panasonic .
    All about the same.

1/2 Inch drive

Whats to know????

Thanks

ob thanks but what models and what battery life I should have added 1/2 drive
    Last edited by markfs; 01-11-14 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Got a Makita driver myself and it works great, use it on the wheels of my van
    However I doubt whether it will do the wheel nuts on your huge dumptruck mate.
    My guess is they are torqued down a bit harder than these cordless units can handle.
    I guess you could always crack them loose by hand and then use the impact driver.

EDIT I am talking about a Makita impact driver, not an impact wrench
    You might just want to check the torque required on your dump truck wheel nuts mate and compare to the specs
    Last edited by weirdo; 01-11-14 at 09:04 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markfs View Post
    ob thanks but what models and what battery life I should have added 1/2 drive

I just bought the skins as i already had heaps of drills and grinders, all 18V apart from the Panasonic which is 14.4v in my case.
    Used them on the Van wheels once, just to see if it would do it Did it fine.
    Battery Life is like anything, the more you use it the faster the battery runs out Just buy more Batteries

Modern Cordless Tools are crap with Batteries, i can drain a Milwaukee 3.0 Battery in 30minutes if i'm really working it.
    The Battery does last longer in the Impact Driver, as its not a direct connection, causing heaps of torque via the motor and hence, huge current draw.
    The Impact tools just spin fast... motor stays pretty happy.

Thanks

Being facetious re haul pac but don't want a tool that has useless power(torque battery life) like a highly recommended matebo that i got to replace a stolen panasonic I could put a screw driver up my arse hange on to an over head fan and acheive better results.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

I could put a screw driver up my arse hange on to an over head fan and acheive better results.
    tight arse!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Not what you asked about but I bought a corded one from K Mart several years ago to undo the wheel nuts on the car because I couldnt undo the damn things when I had a flat not long after having new tyres fitted because the 'rattle gun' at the tyre service was set too high.
    We had hells own job loosening them with a good wheel brace and an extension pipe slid over it.
    On the few occasions I have used it, I always run the engine as it sucks power.

I was surprised how well it did work one time when we needed to dismantle a Differential and of course the nut holding the plate where the Tail shaft goes on was fairly tight but after a few 'hits' it came loose.

The battery powered ones were far too expensive to buy at that time and I am one of those lucky ones when I need to use some battery operated devise, the battery is dead flat !!!

It has a 1/2 drive and comes with 3 double ended sockets.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post

I just bought the skins as i already had heaps of drills and grinders, all 18V apart from the Panasonic which is 14.4v in my case.
    Used them on the Van wheels once, just to see if it would do it Did it fine.
    Battery Life is like anything, the more you use it the faster the battery runs out Just buy more Batteries

Modern Cordless Tools are crap with Batteries, i can drain a Milwaukee 3.0 Battery in 30minutes if i'm really working it.
    The Battery does last longer in the Impact Driver, as its not a direct connection, causing heaps of torque via the motor and hence, huge current draw.
    The Impact tools just spin fast... motor stays pretty happy.
    use the new 4.0Ah "fuel" batteries and they are a lot better. got them for all my drills, drivers, grinders etc and life span is a lot better than anything else out there.
    New 5.0 Ah batteries in the US soon or already out and they are meant to be a burster

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

admin (02-11-14),ol' boy (01-11-14)

Thanks

gordon is that the one used from the cars battery. I have heard they are good but are elongated amking it a bit hard for general work around a car or machinery. I think supercrap and repos did them years ago but are not around now?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

gordon is that the one used from the cars battery. I have heard they are good but are elongated amking it a bit hard for general work around a car or machinery. I think supercrap and repos did them years ago but are not around now?
    It does indeed connect direct to the car battery and is the same size as a standard 'Rattle Gun' used by Tyre Servos so obviously that has to be taken into account when working with any tool in tight spaces.

It has a standard 1/2 inch drive so its easy to add extensions to help reach those nuts and bolts just the same as any ratchet or tension wrench tool you use.
    One thing I have found was when I put it on a nut or bolt, was to turn the devise so there was no 'slack' when you pressed the trigger and to apply pressure yourself by turning the Gun while it was operating.
    As I have never used an Air operated or 'professional' Impact/Rattle Gun, I dont know if you do the same with them.

As I said it was cheap compared to others available back then as I never intended it to be more than a 'helpful' tool carried in the car, certainly not in a proper workshop situation.
    I still have it in the box it came in and it reads it uses 96W at 12VDC and exerts some 250 foot/pounds or 3 something KG/CM if thats correct.
    Earlier I said it came with 3 double ended sockets, I was wrong as there are only 2, ahh well.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-11-14 at 12:07 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

gordon I take it it's a pistol grip I thought like these in link

which will do 4x4 wheel nut easyily but as can be seen are too long to use in engine bay or from ground level under vehicle unless you have a hoist