Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of TV Antenna

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Gordon,

Those readings are excellent, but they mean nothing if they were not made at your place.
    Exactly, but this was just a guide to show there were before and after variations BUT none lower than before.

Did you investigate my suggestion of RF modulators in your home?

Do you have any equipment that is on a timer? Stray interference (can be electrical, not necessarily RF) can produce the issue you're experiencing.
    Nothing new electronically has been added in the last year and no Timer devises of any sort in use.

Poly pipe, when exposed to sun, reaches very high temperatures inside and when it cools, condensation often forms inside, leading to rust/corrosion in connectors/joins.
    The poly pipe has a wire strung thru it and its strung between trees in the shadow of the canopy also it is in sections so condensation can soon drain out and it is a single run with NO connections.

If you have any air-spaced coax in the line, it is well-known for very poor digital performance.

Ultimately, a single run of RG11 Quadshield is the best for your situation of distance or at least a single run of RG6 Quadshield.

With RG11 being lower loss, you would likely only need a single masthead amp.

Less noise = lower BER/higher MER = reliable reception.
    This is RG6 Quad shield bought between 3 and 4 years ago and had I known more about it, I would have bought RG11 but like everything else here, finding someone who sells it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warbo View Post
    I went to a customer site yesterday to do some 3G broadband and they asked me if I knew anything about TV aerials to which I replied not really.
    I was at a long standing customer's last week, & he asked me if I knew anything about 4G, to which I replied not really.

But I was happy to give it a go, and surprise, surprise, it's just like UHF TV (up to a point.)

Once again, location of the antenna is all important (as is the possession of suitable measuring gear.)
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-11-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

We should team up mate, you do the TV, I do the broadband!!! Looks just like the sort of places I get around to as well.

Sounds like you did well, I don't get to do too much 4G stuff as it doesn't carry as far and we only have a tower in town. Mostly people out of town are blocked by terrain. There's that and the fact that 4G is so fast but the plans are so crap, the customer would eat through their data in no time.

Thanks

Sounds like you did well, I don't get to do too much 4G stuff as it doesn't carry as far and we only have a tower in town. Mostly people out of town are blocked by terrain.
    Thanks Same here, one tower, blocking terrain, customer was a business user & could barely get it to run on internal antennae, so happy to oblige. (No NBN wireless coverage at the property, didn't want ADSL as this whiz bang Sierra wireless thingy cost a lot.... but hardly worked.)

Did quite a few telstra 3g ones years ago, just don't have any interest now. More than enough work in fixing people's TV reception
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member

Thanks

The only real difference I can see between 3G, 4G and Digital TV is the power of the base transmitter.
    TV transmitters usually broadcast in the 100's to 1000's of Watts so they can cover a bigger area but thats no good for the other networks when you consider the Mobile Phone has only a very low power transmitter.
    Its valueless to be able to 'hear' the transmitter from 20kms away if you cant reply to it is it!!!

I know from being a Satellite Internet user you can send a signal thousand of Kilometers on about 25W (Label on the Modem) but it and the power supply were just a tad larger than many current mobile phones are today, not exactly portable..........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    The only real difference I can see between 3G, 4G and Digital TV is the power of the base transmitter.
    In terms of Mobile Broadband, there is a big difference between 3G and 4G. 3G generally uses a lower frequency such as 850 or 900 which carries over longer distances and penetrates walls better than the higher 4G frequencies. This suits rural areas due to the distances it can reach. 4G being higher, around 1800 doesn't travel as far and can be difficult to get signal in rural areas, even with external antennas.

Not sure if you were comparing all 3 technologies or mobile broadband as opposed to TV, but that's how mobile broadband works anyway.
    Last edited by warbo; 11-11-14 at 06:57 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Sorry but as usual I worded that very poorly as what I meant was that all are radio frequencies that have different properties which when utilised correctly provide the services such as TV and mobile phones.

Those of us who were in the previous CDMA mobile areas using single towers for coverage know just how reduced the coverage became when 2/3G was introduced and 4G is even worse on a single tower basis.
    3G around my main Town is reasonably adequate and covers over 80% of it but 4G is less than 50% of that same area off the same tower.

The same applies when our TV translators went UHF which isnt very 'user friendly' as VHF was for those in fringe areas.

Thanks

In terms of Mobile Broadband, there is a big difference between 3G and 4G. 3G generally uses a lower frequency such as 850 or 900 which carries over longer distances and penetrates walls better than the higher 4G frequencies. This suits rural areas due to the distances it can reach. 4G being higher, around 1800 doesn't travel as far and can be difficult to get signal in rural areas, even with external antennas.

Not sure if you were comparing all 3 technologies or mobile broadband as opposed to TV, but that's how mobile broadband works anyway.
    Umm...I think it depends on which carrier you're referring to as Optus and Vodafone originally only used 2.1GHz 3G in rural areas. Both now use a mixture of 900MHz and 2.1MHz

Telstra and Optus will be using 700MHz for 4G in the near future.

These lists the frequencies used in Australia

Use this site to determine what is used in your area

Depending on what TV meter you have, you may be able to look at 850/900MHz, if it is Sat capable you should be able to look at 2.1GHz (Tower Tx).

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmatten View Post
    Umm...I think it depends on which carrier you're referring to as Optus and Vodafone originally only used 2.1GHz 3G in rural areas. Both now use a mixture of 900MHz and 2.1MHz
    Ummmm.....what part of my post did you not understand? I said "generally" so if you care to download the ACMA gpx file that overlays in Google Earth all 3G towers in the country you will note that the vast majority of rural areas using Optus and Vodafone use 900mhz. As an example, in a 100km radius from here we have 1 X 2100mhz tower and about 30 X 850/900mhz towers.

Thanks

Ummmm.....what part of my post did you not understand? I said "generally" so if you care to download the ACMA gpx file that overlays in Google Earth all 3G towers in the country you will note that the vast majority of rural areas using Optus and Vodafone use 900mhz. As an example, in a 100km radius from here we have 1 X 2100mhz tower and about 30 X 850/900mhz towers.
    Whilst I can see both Optus and Vodafone 900Mhz 3G rural usage has significantly increased since I last looked at this. I find it very hard to believe you only have 1 * 2100MHz tower within 100km of Armidale as I was able to get 3G 2100Mhz coverage in numerous towns within 100km of Armidale.......maybe they have turned some off the 2100MHz towers since I last visited the New England area. Where is the 1 remaining 2100MHz tower?

Premium Member

Thanks

Well actually there are two 2100mhz. There is one at Kellies Plains and one in the centre of town. I had forgotten about the Kellies Plains one as I won't connect anyone to it as it is ridiculously congested.

Bundarra, Guyra, Uralla, Walcha, Pt Lookout, Black Mountain, Ben Lomond, Sidling Hill on the Moombi ranges are all 900mhz.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to argue. It's well known that 2100mhz is generally used in larger cities and 900mhz is used in rural areas.

Thanks

Well actually there are two 2100mhz. There is one at Kellies Plains and one in the centre of town. I had forgotten about the Kellies Plains one as I won't connect anyone to it as it is ridiculously congested.

Bundarra, Guyra, Uralla, Walcha, Pt Lookout, Black Mountain, Ben Lomond, Sidling Hill on the Moombi ranges are all 900mhz.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to argue. It's well known that 2100mhz is generally used in larger cities and 900mhz is used in rural areas.
    My first post was just pointing out that 2100MHz is also used for 3G in rural areas and that 4G on 700MHz would be available in the very near future.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12