Thread: TV antenna issues! -is this one ok?

Thanks

Default TV antenna issues! -is this one ok?

Hello all,

Since I moved into my new (1969) house I have been having issues with the tv, particularly ABC and Channel 7, where they would work sometimes but not (completely blank, or pixelated) other times. I thought it was cabling, etc. so I replaced and re-terminated all cables from the antenna to the TV and the splitter and I am still having some issues.

According to my TV (Panasonic) I am getting great signal strength but poor quality (0-2/10). I think it could be one of 2 issues.
    1) I have direct line of site to Mt Lofty (live in Moprhett Vale SA) and I read somewhere that the signal could be too strong and I should get an attenuator. Is this true?

2) our antenna is too old (iamage should be below)

I have temporarily fixed by using a set of rabbit ear antennas plugged directly into the tv, but this is not the preferred option

Thoughts??

Thanks for your help.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pwatt01 View Post
    2) our antenna is too old
    I'd go with that.

The antenna may not receive those channels optimally because they did not exist when the antenna was designed.

Additionally, the antenna may be receiving signals outside of the ones required for reception of digital television as transmitted from Mt Lofty, or even possibly interference that is causing your problem.

Something like may be more suited.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

pwatt01 (30-12-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

You're approx 25km from the Mt Lofty transmitters, so it's unlikely to be signal overload from the DTV signals, but possibly signals outside the band (which you're existing antenna may pick up... possibly FM radio).

You mentioned a splitter.... how many ways?

Are you using an amplifier? (you shouldn't need one and it would likely cause signal overload)

If you've replaced all cabling with good-quality coax (eg:RG6 Quadshield) with F-type shielded splitter, it suggests the antenna has an issue.

A log-periodic type antenna similar to the one in the link from Antennaman generally performs well in your area.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

pwatt01 (30-12-14)

Thanks

Okey dookey then, a new antenna it is then. Thanks a tonne... now to find a place that sells these

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    You're approx 25km from the Mt Lofty transmitters, so it's unlikely to be signal overload from the DTV signals, but possibly signals outside the band (which you're existing antenna may pick up... possibly FM radio).

You mentioned a splitter.... how many ways?
    4 way splitter

Are you using an amplifier? (you shouldn't need one and it would likely cause signal overload)
    Nope, no amp

If you've replaced all cabling with good-quality coax (eg:RG6 Quadshield) with F-type shielded splitter, it suggests the antenna has an issue.

A log-periodic type antenna similar to the one in the link from Antennaman generally performs well in your area.
    yup, i replace all the old cable with good quality shielded coax and F-type shielded splitter. Now to get a new antenna!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Canberra.... Hardly relevant for Adelaide.

Thanks

Default TV-antenna-issues!-is-this-one-ok

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Canberra.... Hardly relevant for Adelaide.
    Quite right, mtv, I am about 5 kms further away from Mt. Lofty, direct line of sight, and have no problems with reception on all channels, no amp required, signal strength good on mythical "wet string", am surprised that OP has any problem, it would be nice of them to let us know how things "panned out"

donhe7