Thread: sound drop out

Thanks

Default sound drop out

I have an LG smart TV connected via the optical audio out to a Samsung Bluray player/amplifier. The sound will intermittently drop out through on the Samsung amp. It has been working fine all last year but since Christmas I have been getting these sound issues. I have checked all the speaker cables and there are no shorts or breaks. Have also replaced the optical cable to no avail. I am thinking some sort of compatibility issue between the digital output of the LG TV and the Samsung amp. Can anyone help?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Two products that have operated correctly for a year are unlikely to have compatibility issues. The SPDIF stream from the TV is bog standard, as is the input processing on the receiver / amp.
    Post the relevant model numbers to enable further investigation.

BTW, "Shadow mask" is a wonderful name that brings back fond memories to an old TV Guy. Purity errors, degaussing, static convergence: those were the days.
    Last edited by TVguy; 14-01-15 at 08:53 PM.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You'd be old enough to remember degaussing a TV set either in the shop or the customers home when it was first installed.
    Like all Country towns, we had a General Store that literally sold everything and had its own repairman for appliances and he like most went from doing Radios to TV as it was introduced and I was there one day annoying the shit out of him about antennas and boosters for TV signals and he was about to degausse one on the floor.
    Keeping it simple he described what he was doing and why it was done.
    He said back when the first TV was installed locally, it was considered necessary for it to be degaussed in the owners home while they were being installed along with the antenna which he also did.
    As time passed and sets got better, he found the TV only needed to do any degaussing in the store if at all.
    He also explained to me what the 'Shadow mask' was and warned me about placing any strong magnetic field too close which happened some years later with a 12 inch Colour portable when an external speaker got too close and very slightly warped the shadow mask.
    Luckily by remembering my now late Repair mans instructions, I was able to remove the warp using the speakers magnet.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Slightly off thread Gordon, but I reminisce about my days as an apprentice doing my duty in the CRT reprocessing plant our company had in the factory.
    They were some fun and dangerous times: RF getter firing, delta gun spot welding, imploding CRTs in the oven whilst pumping down to vacuum, aquadag painting and my favourite bit of gear - a 65kV Spot Knocker!
    We had to repair the spot knocker one time; the circuit was immersed in oil and could supply a few mA at 65kV. The sparks flew when spot knocking was happening. Good fun.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov