Thread: How do you install?

Thanks

Default How do you install?

Hi Guys,

Keen DIY'er here. Have done a Ness system. I have now upgraded to a Bosch system and having great fun with the new options and features! I am going to be installing the panel over the weekend.

How do you install? Do you strip all the wires and cable tie neatly, do you leave the wire sheath on? Post your photos!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I always cut all the cables at the panel to longer than the width of the box as a minimum so you can remove them from any point in the panel to another and still keep the box neat. Nothing worse than having to solder a single cable a few cm longer because it wont reach.

I use a drill to twist each pair, makes it easier to trace the pairs if you have to fault find. Everyone has a different way of doing it, some just don't care and leave a birds nest.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scribby For This Useful Post:

Drift (25-01-15),romaqld (28-01-15),tristen (22-01-15)

Banned
    Thanks

That's the way it should be.Every panel that is wired the tech should take a picture and give to office to put in the file
    So if its bad install they can point the finger at the tech......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techy21 View Post
    So if its bad install they can point the finger at the tech......
    Umm... Hello. If it's a badly installed system who else's fault would it be? The book-keeper?

In any case, neat cabling won't compensate for bad design, poor programming or technicians whose sole form of training prior to working at client sites is questions posted to Austech. Without pointing any fingers, of course.

Personally I'm a fan of well run conduit with evenly spaced saddle clips and proper labelling of everything. Everything!

I see a disturbing trend where small installers don't do this, as a nice little present to the next guy. Particularly annoying with wireless devices for which there is no way to recover the transmitter ID if you have to default a panel. Grubs.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

Drift (25-01-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post

I see a disturbing trend where small installers don't do this, as a nice little present to the next guy.
    And just as disturbing are the large companies that subby their work out for the lowest price and largest profit margins.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bss904 View Post
    And just as disturbing are the large companies that subby their work out for the lowest price and largest profit margins.
    That's business. The only thing disturbing about that is when there's no quality control.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bss904 View Post
    Huh? Why? If I can get the same product (or better) at a reduced price it would be bad business not to do so.

As it happens, some of our best, hardest working subcontractors charge less than some others who are quite frankly, sometimes full of it.

I am a firm believer in a good day's pay for a good day's work and there's usually a bit of give and take between a contractor/sub-contractor relationship. I know some subbies whose entire plan seems to be to get paid for say 8hrs work and be out of there in 4. I daresay they prefer being a subby as it's harder for their de-facto employer (the head client) to track them etc. Whereas we also have some who I feel are actually too cheap and we train and encourage them to be a bit more commercial.

Obviously I can only speak for our firm so there may be others who are taking unfair advantage. However BSS904's comment came across as a rather sweeping statement.