Thread: Galaxy S5 'Unfortunately InCallUI has stopped' error / hangs / gets red hot

Thanks

Default Galaxy S5 'Unfortunately InCallUI has stopped' error / hangs / gets red hot

Hi all,
    At work, our team has been issued with Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones, about 6 months ago. About two thirds of the team's Galaxies now have a common problem: every time a call ends (wether it was an incoming call or outgoing) the phone hangs for anything between 30 seconds and 5 minutes, and then eventually comes up with an error "Unfortunately, InCallUI has stopped".

I discovered that the problem begins as soon as the S5 does it's first security policy update - and you get bombarded with near constant "unauthorised access to a secured area has been blocked" warnings, as well as the "Unfortunately InCallUI has stopped".

In general, the symptoms are:
    *Phone 'hangs' for anything up to 5 minutes when call ends, followed by "Unfortunately, InCallUI has stopped" error.
    *Phone gets extremely hot just a bit below the power button - even in flight mode. As if the processor is at 100% utilisation doing some background task.
    *Battery drain is increased dramatically - full to flat in about 4 hours, with screen off for most of the time.
    *Battery charging is much slower.
    *and that's with all apps force shut down - as much as the Galaxy S5 will permit anyway. Running KitKat 4.4.2. Very minimal apps installed.

The only cure I've found so far is to factory reset the phone, and prevent security updates (settings>security>security policy updates> untick 'automatic updates'). However, after defaulting & immediately preventing updates, I thought that would be the end of it. But no! Somehow, upon a reboot, this automatic update setting has been reset to occur, and the very instant it did the update, the InCallUI error started, along with the high battery drain. Factory reset the S5 and all comes good - for about a month, and then it comes back again. I've been through this cycle five times now, and it's starting to get frustrating. It's starting to frustrate the rest of the team, too.

So, does anyone know how to address the core issue? I've tried updating the security policy - no help. Delete cache and data for app 'InCallUI' - no help. Is there a way to permanently delete the security policy app? It seems like this is some sort of Samsung 'virus scan' for the S5, and it's having a terrible effect on the phone's performance, including causing errors.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

Go to your dialer and check the settings.
    The option "non intrusive" should be disabled, in most cases that should stop the error.
    If that does not help uncheck "Enable reverse loop".
    In many cases these errors are related to apps changing / locking the screen rotation or wallpapers that are not fully compatible with the installed rom.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    Go to your dialer and check the settings.
    Thanks for the tip. I checked my dialer settings, and couldn't find those particular items? I believe the ROM is pretty much standard Samsung - but not quite 100% standard, either from the network service provider when they delivered the phone, or by our employer (keeping track of our location secretly perhaps?) as some apps complain that the ROM is modified and they can't guarantee security etc.

I pretty much proved the case yesterday - factory defaulted the S5, applied no updates, installed no apps etc what so ever. Calls in & out just fine, stays cool, no errors. Then manually updated the Security Policy and right away got the error / the hangs / hot to the touch / high battery drain. I'm 120% sure it's the security policy that's not playing nicely with something in the ROM, including the dialer user interface - wether that's because of the not-quite-standard ROM or what, not sure. I just have to figure out a way to stop Samsung from turning on the 'automatic update' for Security Policy updates... that's what ultimately kills the phone.