Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ambulance service what a bad joke...

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

@Downunder35m, I'm not going to flame you but here's my take on things
    The two girls were in no hurry to make it from the ambulance to the boat
    They don't run or rush because they could trip and injure themsleves - what use would they be to anyone
    then?
    "We can't get on the boat, you have to get him out first."
    How big was the boat?
    Maybe they thought it would capsize with too many people on board or injure themselves.
    Had to call the girls all sorts of name so one would go back and get a strecher while we tried to get him
    out of the boat.
    They would have got a stretcher after the patient was assessed if it was required.
    What point is there bringing one out beforehand?
    Heck, he mightn't have needed to go to hospital anyway.
    we were told they take him to Footscray although Sunshine hospital was much closer.
    I don't know about Victoria but here in NSW the Ambo's sometimes don't have a choice about which hospital
    receives a patient, it depends on how busy the emergency dept is.
    Asked the two girls what took them so long to get to the hospital and were told they had been called to an
    emergency - WTF??
    It was an emergency and they must've been the closest Ambulance and known their own patient was in no
    danger of losing his life, otherwise they wouldn't have went.
    I though the guy screaming in pain and dropping in and out of conciousness was the emergency so I
    complained and asked where the other patient is with only room for one in the ambulance.
    No answer...
    Dropping in and out of conciousness with a dislocated rib and pulled muscle?
    The 2 Ambo's probably treated the urgent patient while another Ambulance arrived to transported him/her to
    hospital - I think that's where the other patient was.
    The girls had a quick chat with nurse on duty, got some other guys to change the stretcher and off the
    went, leavin our mate in pain in the hallway.
    Once your mate had been signed over to hospital staff the Ambo's responsibility ended - they were then free
    to treat other patients who needed them.
    Another 80 minutes later a doctor finally decided to have a look and he suspected a ruptured appendix but
    wanted to do some scans first.
    The triage nurse must've decided his life wasn't in any danger, some people have waited longer than 80
    minutes in a public hospital for non urgent treatment.
    As we were not family we were told that we should leave now as there is nothing we can do anyway.
    I'm not sure why they told you to leave, normally they'll ask you to sit in the waiting room.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (27-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    How do you know what he called them? He called them girls to us, otherwise we wouldn't know... I also notice how you can "picture the scene" by "the tone of his post"....oh if only we were all blessed with such inspired insight
    I have no idea what he called them to their face, none of us were there - but the language and tone of his message to describe the incident to us is an indication of his attitude in general. It was made pretty clear that's what I was commenting on.

And from reading the replies by others, almost everyone else has detected the same. I guess most people here are blessed with such inspired insight - that, or we can detect his attitude from the way he writes, just like most people with any grasp of a language can.

If he called them men would you feel the same? Somehow I doubt it..
    Of course not - it's completely different a man referring to other men as 'men'. Surely you can see the difference.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Keith (26-01-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,075 Times in 9,093 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    I have no idea what he called them to their face, none of us were there - but the language and tone of his message to describe the incident to us is an indication of his attitude in general. It was made pretty clear that's what I was commenting on.

And from reading the replies by others, almost everyone else has detected the same. I guess most people here are blessed with such inspired insight - that, or we can detect his attitude from the way he writes, just like most people with any grasp of a language can.

Of course not - it's completely different a man referring to other men as 'men'. Surely you can see the difference.
    Haven't seen a single poster other than yourself refer to either their age (unknown), or whether they were drinking (unknown). You are the only one who was able to "picture the scene" so accurately and I envy your abilities.

As for the other, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Our family has had very good experiences from the Victorian ambulance service over the last couple of years.
    On those occasions the ambulance men/women were very professional and courteous in doing their job and comforting in very stressful situations and for this I have nothing but praise to say about them.
    I have told the attending paramedics that what ever they are getting paid is not high enough.
    Remember, they could be there to save a family member or your own life one day.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to softel For This Useful Post:

enf (26-01-15),Godzilla (26-01-15),Keith (26-01-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by softel View Post
    Our family has had very good experiences from the Victorian ambulance service over the last couple of years.
    On those occasions the ambulance men/women were very professional and courteous in doing their job and comforting in very stressful situations and for this I have nothing but praise to say about them.
    I have told the attending paramedics that what ever they are getting paid is not high enough.
    Remember, they could be there to save a family member or your own life one day.
    The same with the service here.

Do ambulances move people between hospitals for operations in Victoria? When I had heart issues they had to shuffle me around between hospitals for ops which embarrassed me greatly. I felt fine most of the time and was always concerned that they had better things to do. My eldest daughter has had some really bad epileptic seizures in the past, and they were great...every one of them.

Can't speak highly enough really.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (26-01-15),softel (30-01-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

The same with the service here.

Do ambulances move people between hospitals for operations in Victoria? When I had heart issues they had to shuffle me around between hospitals for ops which embarrassed me greatly. I felt fine most of the time and was always concerned that they had better things to do. My eldest daughter has had some really bad epileptic seizures in the past, and they were great...every one of them.

Can't speak highly enough really.
    I have had a few heart stents put in up here in Sydney. They did the procedure in one hospital, and I was ferryed to another hospital for over night recovery. They asked me before the procedure if I was ok with going elsewhere to recover, and if I said no, the procedure was off. I agreed of course. Oh, they asked, I feel, because I was in public as a private patient, whereby another person on the day got sent home because she was a public patient. They moved me using the patient transport vehicle. A nurse must come for the ride in case of any emergency arising.
    Last edited by Keith; 26-01-15 at 02:09 PM.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Oh, they asked, I feel, because I was in public as a private patient, whereby another person on the day got sent home because she was a public patient.
    It depends on the number and location of the stents, some people are ok to go home a few hours afterwards while others need to be kept in overnight, public or private patient.
    How do I know?
    Because my niece works in the Cath Lab.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Something akin to a patient transport vehicle may be available here now, I don't know. When I was getting a stent they moved you around with a full ambulance and crew...overkill in my view, but I wasn't writhing in pain or anything.

Thanks

If you are at the point of having a stent put in things can, and do, go very very wrong in a very short amount of time. There's a reason why such patients are moved around in ambulances.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

enf (26-01-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    The girls had a quick chat with nurse on duty, got some other guys to change the stretcher and off the went, leavin our mate in pain in the hallway.
    The reason we have delays in the Victorian Ambulance system is because they arent allowed to "leave your mate in a hallway". No ambulance is allowed to leave a hospital until the patient has been admitted and they dont just go to the nearest hospital.

There are enough incorrect claims in the post that I would be here forever , so I just picked one

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

mango (26-01-15),softel (30-01-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    It depends on the number and location of the stents, some people are ok to go home a few hours afterwards while others need to be kept in overnight, public or private patient.
    How do I know?
    Because my niece works in the Cath Lab.
    I had 3 put in with 2 procedures, 2 the first time, then one. The cardio said there was a chance of the artery wall splitting during or after the procedure, hence why the overnight stay for observation. That was 3 years ago so maybe things might have changed.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

enf (26-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    The reason we have delays in the Victorian Ambulance system is because they arent allowed to "leave your mate in a hallway". No ambulance is allowed to leave a hospital until the patient has been admitted and they dont just go to the nearest hospital.)
    well i never thought this would happen! neither did you.

what you have said is correct, i have been in more than you could poke a stick at, some time they have been there 1/2 an hour till i was in a bed before they went. the ambos do NOT have to go on the boat.

we have only heard one side of the story here, wonder what the other side is.
    Last edited by mango; 26-01-15 at 03:33 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

You know what, all your posts are negative and it's always someone else hasn't done their job in your eyes. Step up and take a little responsibility.
    I think that just about sums it up.

• The Following User Says Thank You to warbo For This Useful Post:

Keith (26-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

I've got a good mate who is an ambulance officer, (only a young bloke too) and some of the stories you hear from him about abuse or assualts from drunk or drug affected patients, and their friends, I reckon most of them deserve medals just for turning up again the next day. In my few personal experiences with them, I have also found them to be caring and resposible people. Lets face it, how could they endure some of the crap they have to, in just trying to do their jobs, unless they are the right kind of people in the first place. Good on em I say.. And I hope young Matt doesn't have to put up with too much sh*t tonight after all the p*ss ups, while he's on duty.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

enf (26-01-15),Godzilla (26-01-15),Keith (26-01-15),lsemmens (27-01-15),softel (30-01-15),VroomVroom (27-01-15)

Administrator

Thanks

The cardio said there was a chance of the artery wall splitting during or after the procedure, hence why the overnight stay for observation.
    That's what I meant about location.
    Hope you're doing well.

[Off Topic]
    Quick question .. how long have they been in?

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Keith (27-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    The reason we have delays in the Victorian Ambulance system is because they arent allowed to "leave your mate in a hallway". No ambulance is allowed to leave a hospital until the patient has been admitted and they dont just go to the nearest hospital.
    Correct, ambulance workers dont leave in the hallway and walk off, they dont leave till you have been admitted and a hospital Dr has been spoken to, they relay what they had seen and done and any meds administered.

Its once the hospital staff take over that you may be left to one side (as some people say in a hall way) while being watched by passing staff till a bed is available or a Dr has time to treat you.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

softel (30-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

First off I did not call them anything in terms of abusive or discriminating.
    With not in a hurry I meant: They saw us waving once the boat was secured, in a quite obvious way indicating we are the ones that called you - the boat is 18ft long and registered for 6 adults, means big enough to walk around without causing a problem.
    The girls decided to get out of the van when I already walked half way up the boat ramp, still waving.
    They stopped 3 times to have a chat - and no I did not hear what is was about.
    Once at the boat they wanted to know what happened and where the pain is, as well some personal details.
    After that was over I asked if they want a hand to get on board - this was declined with "We don't go on the boat, you have to get him out."
    When I asked how we should do that they both just lifted their shoulders with no comment.
    Here it was when I started calling them names so to speak - first one was "Would one of you girls please tell me how to that safely?"
    "Lift him out..." was the answer.
    "How are we supposed to carry him out if we don't know what is wrong and where we can lift him safely?"
    "Just lift him out..." was again the answer.
    Now, here I started to get a bit angry and told them "For ####'s sake, would you at least get a stretcher so we don't have to lift him twice off the floor?"
    "No need to get upset, we are just doing our job!" replied one quite loud and unfriendly...
    They left in what I would describe crawling speeds and returned the same way.
    In the meantime some other boat owner came and wanted to help us getting our mate out of the boat but they were told off by the girls the comment "Nothing to see here, please keep the area free so we can care for the patient."
    After he was on the stretcher he was not reall in the best position but the girls only asked him to move up and lay flat, as he did not manage to do this I asked if they could lift him on the shoulders so we can grab the rest and put him in the right place - We don't lift patients was the only comment....

So forgive me for being on the wrong side, but that was not what I expected, especially considering that once we had him on the stretcher we were told to leave them alone and to stay off the van.
    They wanted to check his heart on the monitor and told him several times that he has to take deep and slow breaths, when he failed to do so and massively complaind about the pain breathing causes him the only comment was "If you don't want to cooperate than we can't help you, your choice!"
    I tried to give them his wallet for the medicare stuff and even waited until they discussed how to get out of the parking area - All I did was to look into the door and ask "Can you take his wallet so he has the documents he needs in the hospital?"
    I was told off again stating to stay away from the van, when I tried again she finally realised the stuff might be needed and even said thanks.

We know now that the rib indeed punctured his lung, not too bad enough for the doc to put him on heavy painkillers, stuff to supress any cough and strict bed rest for the next week before he has a checkup at the hospital.
    So, did the puncture happen while lifting the anchor, did it happen on the way back or whn we lifted him out of the boat - I don't know for sure.
    The only reason that I did not use offensive language was the fact they would have called the cops for that.
    I had "businees" with ambo crews before.
    Some after accidents, other times for family members in need of them - not a single time was I unhappy with the way they treated anone or what they did to help.
    This last case totally turned everything around I experienced before with ambo crews, leaving me thing they did not really want to help in the first place.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    That's what I meant about location.
    Hope you're doing well.

[Off Topic]
    Quick question .. how long have they been in?
    Yes, no problem since I had them in. Been in now for 3 years.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

enf (26-01-15),WhiteOx (26-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Admin / fellow Members , i need to apologise in advance for this rant -

@downunder , is there any topic / person / service / business / issue that you DONT complain about ? im sick of seeing it , both on this forum and the Pajero forum.
    FFS get a life , stop leaching , get a job and start contributing to society instead of making up all this negative BS about other people doing thier job .
    and another FFS - next time you need an ambo and dont like ambos, call a hippie !!

my daughter was saved from toxic shock by a pair of female ambos , and i have nothing but respect for them and medical based occupation.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

aa23 (27-01-15),bss904 (27-01-15),enf (27-01-15),Godzilla (27-01-15),jimbo123 (27-01-15),Keith (27-01-15),softel (30-01-15),warbo (27-01-15)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12