Thread: Replacing Standard Box with IQHD using same card

Thanks

Default Replacing Standard Box with IQHD using same card

Hi All,
    I am a current subscriber to Fox cable and have 2 boxes I being standard and the second IQHD box which are all working fine, I've picked up a 3rd IQHD box (which was laying around) and was thinking of swapping over with the standard box with this IQHD.
    If I swap over the Standard box with the IQHD box and use the standard boxes smartcard will it work? and also is this detectable on cable?

Regards Stew

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

from what I understood the boxes and cards are paired, not sure you can just swap them over like that

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Firstly, I dont think the SD card would allow you to access the HD channels because you havent paid for them and unless Foxtel is being generous, I think you will find the card will be 'married' to the STB the same as they have done for the Satellite STB's which means its not interchangeable.
    Being Cable you do run the risk of the STB talking 'Back to Base' which was something proposed years ago for all customers for rating purposes etc but had to drop for Satellite users when those customers with STB's connected to the phone line, found the STB was 'Ringing ET' at their cost and without their knowledge.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

No, it won't work.

Cards and boxes are paired to each other.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies so far, I have a brand new IQHD box still in box which I thinking of swapping over with the SD box but before I unpack it I wanted to understand if it would work or not, also the unknown whether cable is 2 way or one comms, I'm thinking one way mostly but Fox*&l would have the ability to carryout health checks every now an again.

But the question remains if cable is two way then why do we need the telephone line for Box commands, ie booking main event, etc?

I think I might contact Fox so I can swap over the boxes and pay the extra and be done with it.

This is probably why they insist on Cable for cable areas and not allow Satellite which is undetectable.

Thanks to All
    Stewie

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I think you will find they still wont allow you to swap cards between STB's as it seems to be the 'Norm' now with both Subscriber TV (Foxtel) and VAST to change both STB and mated card together when replacing a STB for any reason.
    I am not saying they wont or it cant be done but it seems once they record the serial numbers of both the STB and Smart card as a 'Set', thats how they stay.
    Never having been on Cable, I did think you did everything via the cable in regards to ordering any services such as PPV etc so I am surprised you need a working telephone line connected.
    I think the main reason they are reticent to use Satellite reception in Cable areas is because they spent Millions of Dollars installing it and in some inner areas, putting up a dish isnt always suitable and the signal could be blocked by any high structures or buildings which are common in City areas.

I do wonder why there isnt a card in that IQ and where it came from because generally you cant buy or find them in your local store so personally, unless I was 100% happy about the previous history of this STB, I would be very wary of making its presence known.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-03-15 at 11:14 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!