Thread: who recycles TV's

Thanks

Default who recycles TV's

does anyone here know of any company that will come and get these bloody things and at least recycle the glass, cant find anyone

Newcastle location
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

LOL If you do find some one let me know because I will become a millionaire over night
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

i know what you mean, if they could only take the glass crt's would be ok, i dont want any money, just want someone tyo take them AWAY!

Thanks

I had one guy use to collect scrap metal( yokes and degause coil ) and the deal was he take the whole set and he can scrap it
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Try people out.

Thanks

we get these african guys come around and pick them up for free one guy even gave us $10 per set lol we made about $300 with him.

Thanks

For the local council hard rubbish pick up the scabs take the yoke and the power lead and leave the rest on the street.

Thanks

I forgot to tell you when I had a shop we use to sell a couple of TV's out the front and every now and then I would put a busted one out the front of the shop with a price tag(or card board star) on it and leave it out over night and no fail it would be gone the next morning

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

I hope someone didnt take it home, plugged it in and got zapped.

Yeah in my area they come around in the early morning, break the rear cover off, hammer what they want and leave the mess outside for the owner to clean up.

Thanks

If it's working, why not list on ebay for 99c pickup only - I'm sure you would get rid of it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iwacelect View Post
    does anyone here know of any company that will come and get these bloody things and at least recycle the glass, cant find anyone

Newcastle location
    There's a mysteries company that comes around during hard rubbish collection. You put your old TV out on the street and before you can blink, the damn thing has vanished. It's amazing, you don't have to ring this company up and they're free.

Thanks

yeah, i know of the council thing and have enjoyed watching the phenomenum of vanishing Tv's at clean-up time, one time the only electronic device that was left to go was a WORKING stereo, it was an akia so not even good for a sinker (even if they company WAS good at it)...

but these are at my workshop and they dont have council cleanups around this industrial estate, it just seems such a waste we'll all be harrassed in the coming years to be "as green as possible" but there's nothing available now!

Thanks

iwacelect of to the tip once a week and say its personal rubbish throw some old branches over the top o f it

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

I recycle them by changing a couple of caps & charging the owner a fee
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I would just put them out on the street with a For Sale sign , you are almost guranteed someone would steal them.

Thanks

Reminds me of the episode of the simpsons where homer is trying to get rid of the trampoline and no one would take it.....so he put a small padlock and chain on it and it was stolen in no time......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GavinSV View Post
    There's a mysteries company that comes around during hard rubbish collection. You put your old TV out on the street and before you can blink, the damn thing has vanished. It's amazing, you don't have to ring this company up and they're free.
    This Mysterious company is a dedicated group of Arcade enthusiasts , hobbyist's and Mame builders .
    Heaps of people ask "Where do these TV's go , Why do people take them" The answer is here

This is happening all over Australia , and is recycling at it's best! Most people dont realize but TV tubes in general outlast the electronics that drive them by a factor of about 3, meaning by the time your old Akai , Teac or pretty much any cheaper TV dies and is not worth repairing , it is still 100% perfect for use in an Arcade machine.

Many people dont know this but 99% of CRT's used in Non Jap arcade games are "B" class , they are rejected as good enough for standard TV consumer use , All TV's use "A" class CRT's ( even the cheapest brands ) so at the end of a TV's life they are pretty much as good if not better than an original arcade CRT.
    After a few years research and many hours of testing, I developed a range of CGA and CGA /EGA 15/25K monitor chassis that could bring old TV's back to life , just about any size and brand. ( Except Sony )
    As most of you are noticing this has been hugely successful and has made many scrap TV's into the pride of a lot of games rooms

It doesn't matter where you are there are people that are more than willing to pick them up so please don't smash them or let them go into landfill .
    Let the guys on Aussie Arcade know , or post in the thread above.

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssrattus View Post
    For the local council hard rubbish pick up the scabs take the yoke and the power lead and leave the rest on the street.
    Hmmm we get that here with our hard rubbish collections - I call them "tube hackers" - they are usually of ethnic origin and they have limited English skills. They drive around with a tomahawk, smashing and hacking any kind of TV or monitor apart just to get the yoke.

Back when CRT TVs and monitors were still worth something, I'd often ask said people why they would smash up a perfectly good 32" TV for 20c of copper when if they took the set and sold it they'd get $300. The reply was usually a grunt.