Thread: Garmin Rear View Camera

Banned
    Thanks

Default Garmin Rear View Camera

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 65LMT yesterday and much to my surprise many of the new models are able to connect to the Garmin Wireless (2.4 Ghz) rear view camera - uses the power cable as the receiver rather than an AV in port.

The genuine Garmin camera system looks good but is quite expensive - nearly twice the price of the GPS.

Has anyone found an aftermarket wireless rear view camera system that is compatible with the Garmin GPS system.

Thanks

Garry

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I don't know for sure; however the 2.4ghz is BlueTooth apparently not BlueTooth see post below.
    So bugger me.
    I paired my smart phone with my 1490 & 2597 for hands free purposes, however for the backup camera the GPS software will need to be compatible with the video signal from the camera, that's the stumbling block.
    I can't find any info at a quick look that says yes or no.
    I'm sure "surething" will know if he drops in.

Really though the isn't outrageous for a wireless reversing/backup camera.
    Last edited by Tiny; 24-01-16 at 02:03 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Actually it's not Bluetooth it's ISM radio although earlier on i also thought it was BT due to some misinformation on the internet. See Posts 6 & 7 in this thread: .
    Wireless System: The transmitter and receiver operate on the 2.4 GHz ISM radio band. The transmitter sends the camera's video signal to the navigator's receiver mount up to 45 feet away. The transmitter mounts on the exterior of your RV or rig, about 3' from the camera. The receiver is integrated into the device mount, and replaces the mount that comes with the RV 760LMT or dēzl 760LMT.
    That quote is regarding BC20 but the only difference to that and BC30 is the inclusion of a special replacement powered mount exclusively for RV/delz 760 & nuvi 2798 with the BC20 pack and the BC30 pack instead has a traffic receiver/power cable [either GTM 35 or 36 FM TMC]. Otherwise afaik the camera hardware is identical and that seems definitely confirmed in the Specs Tabs of both BC 20 and 30:
    Code:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by-accesories/other/bc-20-wireless-backup-camera/prod138554.html#specsTab
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/automotive/533/bc-30-wireless-backup-camera/prod501486.html#specsTab

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (24-01-16)

Banned
    Thanks

The signal is not a blue tooth signal and the 65LMT is not actually fitted with bluetooth. The radio signal from the camera is picked up by the 65LMT power lead (like traffic information) - there is nothing special about the mount on these models.

Yes I guess the price is not too bad for the supposed quality of the camera system and I may consider buying but before making decisions I thought I would check if there were other options to activate the function for this GPS.

Thanks

Garry

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

My Son has an ALDI GPS with reversing Cam and to save extra wiring, the 'receiver' is part of the power cable that plugs into the GPS.
    The camera is connected to the Reversing lights and when their lit, that powers up the Camera whose signal is detected by the GPS and the screen now displays the Camera's video.
    2.4 GHZ seems to be the normal frequency used by just about everything so thats not a problem unless its 'encoded' in some way and thats not likely.
    If the Garmin uses the same system, I dont think you could use any 'aftermarket' reversing camera because you have no idea of the plug configuration.

My guess is when you buy the GPS with the Camera, the power cable you have now is replaced with one that has the wireless receiver built in.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    Code:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/automotive/533/bc-30-wireless-backup-camera/prod501486.html#specsTab
    I rang around most of the Garmin dealers that come up on the Garmin Aust web page (Garmin do not sell direct to the public) as the indicated $199 price plus the Garmin 10% discount voucher I have would make the price attractive but I could not get anywhere near that listed price - all were asking $246. I rang Garmin and asked them how I get the $199 price and they said there was a mistake on the site - while the name and description was the right product the part number is not correct and the price is attached to the part number (seems it is the add on camera not the base item).

So I will stay with the old wired system I have in my car with a small screen attached the back of the sun visor.

Thanks for the input

Garry