Thread: vhs copying

Banned
    Thanks

Default vhs copying

I have hp dvd6 laptop and a vhs player
    i want to copy vhs tape to cd how do i did????

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There are kits available to allow you to connect a VCR to another devise to allow you to copy the tape.
    Without chasing up details, I think the kit has a cable with RCA connectors for the VCR and a USB plug on the other end for the Computer.
    Depending on the software, it may first record from the VCR in REAL time to a file, ie one hour tape takes ONE hour to record, once thats done, you put in a suitable capacity disc (CD or DVD) and then record to it which it should do much faster.
    Remember a CD even compressed does not have the same storage capacity as a DVD.
    CD's hold about 650 Mb whereas a DVD hold 4.5 GB.

There are VCR/DVD Combo's available but even they can only record from a VCR in REAL time.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-01-16 at 06:31 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

You need an adapter from AV to usb,connect your VHS player to it then it will record to your hard disk and then burn it.I think Aldi sold one last week.About $49.00. Or try Jaycar or maybe Dick Smith?
    Last edited by gulliver; 23-01-16 at 06:31 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    There are kits available to allow you to connect a VCR to another devise to allow you to copy the tape.
    Without chasing up details, I think the kit has a cable with RCA connectors for the VCR and a USB plug on the other end for the Computer.
    Depending on the software, it may first record from the VCR in REAL time to a file, ie one hour tape takes ONE hour to record, once thats done, you put in a suitable capacity disc (CD or DVD) and then record to it which it should do much faster.
    Remember a CD even compressed does not have the same storage capacity as a DVD.
    CD's hold about 650 Mb whereas a DVD hold 4.5 GB.

There are VCR/DVD Combo's available but even they can only record from a VCR in REAL time.
    You beat me to it by 2 mins,Gordon,lol

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You'll need a capture device, editing, rendering and burning software plus a DVD burner (depending on the file size, it may not fit on a CD).

A good PC processor and plenty of RAM will help.

There's a lot of capture devices available, but something cheap like is OK.

Most versions of Windows have a basic movie making software application to edit and add titles and music, etc. There are of course various editing programs available at various price levels.

You then need burning software. Something like Nero for example and a compatible DVD burner.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Do you have a digital video recorder with a DVD burner. I know our 5 year old Panasonic DMR-XW380 has AV inputs on the front, that will allow you to record from a VCR or a camera, to the HDD, then you can use flexible recording to record from the HDD to a DVD and it works out how much compression needed to fit it on the DVD.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techy21 View Post
    I have hp dvd6 laptop and a vhs player
    i want to copy vhs tape to cd how do i did????
    I ran my VHS tapes through the TV and recorded it onto the computer from that, considering the quality of the tapes they turned out good and was able to enhance them in openshot, then choose the standard I wanted.

• The Following User Says Thank You to spook For This Useful Post:

carjackma (24-01-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

How long is a piece of string????

It sounds simple, but, in reality, becomes complex very quickly. A straight copy might be fairly simple, but then you may need to add some compression to fit it on a DVD, not to mention chapters so that you can, at least return to you last viewpoint. e.g. you stop a Video it starts exactly where you stopped. A DVD does not provide that sort of functionality without some "bookmarking". As has been observed above, it's not that simple.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    I ran my VHS tapes through the TV and recorded it onto the computer from that, considering the quality of the tapes they turned out good and was able to enhance them in openshot, then choose the standard I wanted.
    How was the connection from the TV to the computer made?

Banned

Thanks

I have a 2tb drive which was designed to record movies off tv and used that, it uses rca jacks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    How long is a piece of string????

It sounds simple, but, in reality, becomes complex very quickly. A straight copy might be fairly simple, but then you may need to add some compression to fit it on a DVD, not to mention chapters so that you can, at least return to you last viewpoint. e.g. you stop a Video it starts exactly where you stopped. A DVD does not provide that sort of functionality without some "bookmarking". As has been observed above, it's not that simple.
    I haven't tried it myself, so this is only going by the manual for the DVR that I mentioned previously.
    You can record from a VCR to the DVR's HDD, via the AV inputs.
    A 2Hr video will fit on a single DVD and I'm pretty sure I have put longer videos onto DVDs as well. But a movie from a 180min or 240min VHS tape may have to be split to fit it on DVD, which you can also do on the DVR. You can add chapters marks to a video which has been recorded to the HDD before you copy to DVD.
    As for the picture quality after transfer, it may not be the best way to do it, but considering the source material, I doubt it will be noticeable.
    And if you already have a DVR with HDD, it is probably the most simple way without buying other equipment.