Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lappy networking woes

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    MY problem identified, it dropped internet access out on Laptop again, same with old laptop, then the PC dropped out of internet & when I tried to access the router it went from identifiable as Linksys to unidentifiable network in a couple of minutes.
    Can't access with page does not exist.
    No connection with ethernet or wireless.
    Can't see anything on the network, have tried resetting rebooting the router, I think it died inside.
    The lights are on but no one is home.

bypassed router plugged direct to Sat Modem internet works fine, so here I was blaming the Win 10 PC & Lappy, when it was the router failing.

Looks like a new router.

Well, after giving up on this for a couple of days; I tried searching for info on Factory resetting Linksys WRT160N routers as it has a reset button, however pressing it just made the lights blink & nothing fixed.

Bingo found a reset called the 30/30/30.
    Disconnect all cables except power.

1: Hold reset button in for 30 seconds.
    2: Continue holding reset button & remove power plug at router for 30 seconds (don't forget to keep holding reset button)
    3: Release button put power plug in then press hold reset button for 30 seconds.

This flushes & reinstalls the factory software & settings.

Now have the system working again with all network wired (ethernet) & wireless available.
    Also the router is clearly visible & accessible for settings again via

Edit: BTW I also did an Admin Command Prompt & ran, ipconfig /flushdns which is a command that flushes and resets the contents of the DNS client resolver cache, just to be sure there are no bogus networking settings stuck in there.
    Last edited by Tiny; 04-02-16 at 06:22 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Good to hear you got it solved Tiny.

My inplace upgrade was not quite as stable as I'd hoped so last night I plugged my W10 stick in and let it perform a complete re-install overnight. So I thought! I discovered this morning that it would not activate. After about an hour of mucking around I got onto Microsoft Online Help, They were actually quite good at talking me through some of the things I could try. One of them was to upgrade to the latest build and see if that worked. After doing that I thought I might just download the latest ISO because I still couldn't activate. I swear, I AM NOT BLONDE. Look at the download site and daylight breaks!!!!! I had tried to re-install Windows10 PRO over a Windows 10 HOME system!!!!!! Put a W10 Home ISO in and guess what??? It WERKS!!
    Just as an FYI - from start to finish installing the correct version of Windoze followed by my programs has taken me the best part of 8 hours. That includes all updates/patches and re-configuring Orifice, browsers, printers etc. Maybe I might consider Ghost one day.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Tiny (05-02-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

ROFL, that's funny. At least you have proved beyond a shadow of doubt that Pro will not install over Home without a new licence.

Although happy I got my router & network going again, in post mortem, I'm still pondering why it fell over one piece at time before disappearing into itself??
    I didn't change any settings, only checked them as the problem started.
    So did Windows networking cause it to fall over or was it just Router software falling over after 8 years of service?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Although happy I got my router & network going again, in post mortem, I'm still pondering why it fell over one piece at time before disappearing into itself??
    I didn't change any settings, only checked them as the problem started.
    So did Windows networking cause it to fall over or was it just Router software falling over after 8 years of service?
    Well, 11 days of working perfectly & the whole network fell over one piece at a time yesterday.
    Happened while I was trying to print a document from the Laptop wirelessly thru the Router & W10 PC, to the networked Canon Printer, which I had used successfully via the network the day before. The driver dialogue just sat there spooling, then went offline at the same time as the network started falling down.

Something is causing the Network or Router to change it's status to Public Network instead of Private?
    The Wireless ID changes first, so that disables the default gateway & internet access for the Laptop.
    Then the Ethernet changes about half hour after, default gateway & internet gone for PC.

Did the 30/30/30 reset on the Linksys router, all is good again.
    So something is changing settings in my router, which settings I don't know; as access to the router is disabled at the same time as the Ethernet goes to "Unidentified Public Network - No Internet".
    I still suspect it's W10 Networking making these changes??
    Either that or a security error in the router??
    This is driving me nuts.

I'm going to get another router & if it happens to that as well, we'll know for sure it's Windoze, if not it's the router I guess?
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

...So something is changing settings in my router, which settings I don't know; as access to the router is disabled at the same time as the Ethernet goes to "Unidentified Public Network - No Internet".
    I still suspect it's W10 Networking making these changes??
    Either that or a security error in the router??
    This is driving me nuts.

I'm going to get another router & if it happens to that as well, we'll know for sure it's Windoze, if not it's the router I guess?
    Yes, I can understand your frustration, but let's look at this logically.

It's not possible that Windows 10 installed on a computer is changing your router settings. They are two different units and are not sleeping together.

If your router settings are changing it's a problem with the router.

When the problem occurs again, connect a different computer directly to the router and check the router settings. This will establish once-and-for-all whether the router is at fault.
    Last edited by tristen; 16-02-16 at 11:41 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Tiny (16-02-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Yes, I can understand your frustration, but let's look at this logically.

It's not possible that Windows 10 installed on a computer is changing your router settings. They are two different units and are not sleeping together.

If your router settings are changing it's a problem with the router.

When the problem occurs again, connect a different computer directly to the router and check the router settings. This will establish once-and-for-all whether the router is at fault.
    Thanks, tristen, for grounding me, I am a very logical person until I get annoyed/frustrated.

The intricacies of routing & networking is a mystery to me, the basics I understand.

So I am assuming the router is being changed due to the fact resetting it solving the issue.

The changes to the Network from private to public may be in the windows networking itself, however since I can't access the router settings when the network switches to public I can't prove it. I did try with another computer connected directly via ethernet cable, but no access to the router settings once this happens.

After reset the router is fully visible & accessible from any of my 3 computers.

New router on the way.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I assume that you are assigning IP addresses manually and not using DHCP?

Are you able to "ping" the router (1) when it is working normally and (2) when you are experiencing the fault?

In case you are not aware, the "ping" command is used from a DOS/Command prompt with the format ping ipaddress e.g. ping 192.168.0.1 (ENTER).

In Windows 10 the command prompt is accessed by typing command prompt into the search box at bottom left of screen.

There are other ways listed at . (I haven't tried them but assume that they all work).

Incidentally, I turn many things off in Windows 10 including Cortana, which leaves me with a search box called Search the web and Windows.

Of course, someone might be accessing your router and playing funny buggers!

When the network is running normally, it is possible to see IP addresses of all units currently connected to the network by using an useful little (cross platform) program called Angry IP Scanner available (free) from .

Other useful tools are listed at .

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Bibliophile (17-02-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

yes; able to ping it at all times from dos, but when the network switches to Unidentified Public Network, I can't see any of the other computers on the network & the default gateway closes so no internet.
    At this time the only solution that resolves the issue is resetting the router.

I know I should be assigning IP addresses manually, however using the Auto DHCP has worked flawlessly on this router since I installed with my old XP PC & Vista Lappy, then no problems with New PC W8 or 8.1 or W10 with the Vista Lappy, except the upgrade to 8.1 & subsequent upgrade to W10, both reset my DLNA sharing settings to TV, which were easily fixed.

The problem has started 2 weeks ago when I got my new W10 Lappy & now have both it & PC on W10.
    It's like they are playing hide & seek with the network infrastructure, even when it's running smoothly? - sometimes it takes a couple of refreshes on the network page to see the other computer & media devices on the network.

I'm going to try another router & see what happens.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Some further info on this.

It did something new, this time I was viewing this forum on the W10 PC, connected via ethernet to the router, when internet access disappeared.

Checked network status, hmm. No access. This time it stayed as a private network & didn't switch to public network.

No visibility

Pinged 50%?? That's weird; all other pings have been 100% when the problem happened previously.

Simple Reset, unplug router, count to 10 & plug back in, all good again.

There must be a gremlin crawling around in my router.

Anyway there is a new router on the way, that should solve the issue.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Well I installed a new router today, Linksys WRT 1900AC, incredible speed over wireless with the 5Ghz ac band, big files just fly from upstairs to down stairs on the lappy if I need them.

Maybe the networking/router problem was what I needed to prompt me to upgrade.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Further update to this; the new router & network worked faultlessly for 4 days, then yesterday the network was intermittently dropping out & reestablishing itself on the W10 PC.
    Changed the Ethernet cable from PC to router which appeared to solve that problem.

Today my new W10 lappy was locked out of the wireless network & internet, just as it was with the old router??
    Router & Network signal visible, however it just says cannot connect.

Turned off PC & router, then turned router on which restored Lappy access to Router & internet.

Turned PC on & Network between PC & Laptop is fine again.
    This is really weird.

Have also had the PC starting up from Shutdown when Lappy is turned on, this has been happening at what I thought was random for a year or more even with W8.1.
    Some investigating on this links it to the network itself causing the wake up.
    The new router indicates that the PC is still connected to the network (showing the ethernet connection light active) even when shutdown, so it appears that the PC's Ethernet adapter stays awake & sniffing for network activity & then wakes up the PC from Shutdown when it detects activity on the network from my Lappy.
    If I turn the PC of at power point when shutdown then turn it back on the light goes out & stays out, the PC does not wake up when Lappy is active.

Should my ethernet adapter be able to wake my PC?
    Apparently so, investigation successful.
    Is there a setting to prevent this happening?
    Yes there is a setting, bingo.
    Why didn't I find this before, must have looked in all the wrong places, no actually I didn't look as I didn't know why the laptop would wake up the PC.

Anyway for anyone as networking illiterate & stupid as me that reads this thread I'll show you where the setting is.

Click on Network Icon on Task Bar
    Click Network settings

Ethernet Tab
    Click Change Adapter options.

Right Click the Adapter & select properties.
    Select Configure

Then select the Power management Tab

Untick the box next to "Allow this device to wake the computer."
    Select OK then close out of everything.

Hope this helps others.
    Now I just got to solve this other issue??
    Cheers, Tiny

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Good that you are getting something solved. I bit the bullet the other night and re-installed lappy again because it was still doing some silly things, playing Freecell of all things. Anyway, using the right disk image and timing everything as I went. I found that I could perform a complete installation, including all software in just on 2 hours. Lappy is now running even better than it had when I first upgraded to W10.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Further update; Well it appears by changing that Network adaptor setting for waking the PC, all has been fixed.
    The Awake from shutdown issue has of course been resolved & so has the network & internet lockout of the laptop.
    Go figure?
    Is it possible the code that was sniffing for network activity was causing the problem?

Hope I haven't spoken to soon, however, all has been smooth with networking & internet access for both PC & Lappy since I made that change in settings over 3 weeks ago.
    There has been a couple of Win10 updates in that time frame as well, so it is possible one of those fixed a bug in my OS or the way the OS works on my set-up.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12