Thread: fire input open doors...

Banned
    Thanks

Default fire input open doors...

So whats the correct way to do this.
    A fire panel output is provided going from NC to open on a a fire alarm.
    Tecom alarm.Could put into a input and when input change state fire a marco and open doors.people australia standards say has to be no programming just direct trigger......

Look Here ->
    Thanks

That's how I have heard it to be. I don't trust macro's to be 100% reliable.

Banned
    Thanks

Jake 80 do you know off any pther ways ? Thanks

Thanks

Just no. Seriously you either need to get some training appropriate to the level of system you're working on before someone suffers a loss as a result of the work you've done,or do something that's appropriate to your level of skill and knowledge.

If you're relying on an input and macro to do that job you're introducing far too many potential points of failure. Hard wire a DPST relay through which your lock power runs and trigger that from your fire panel output. Run the remaining set of terminals to a zone to tell the challenger what you've done. That way, it doesn't matter if the challenger has crapped it. Your doors will still open in the even of a fire provided of course you're using power to lock rather than unlock and have the appropriate fire rated cable to your relay etc.

Fire systems are a LIFE SAFETY device before they're an asset protection device. Just think about that for few minutes.
    Last edited by Drift; 07-02-16 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks

ditto as above

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks for feed back guys on the topic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techy21 View Post
    Jake 80 do you know off any pther ways ? Thanks
    judging by your questions again, its about time you go to your employer and tell them that you are out of your depth playing around with stuff that you clearly know nothing about and ask them to train you for the sake of there customers and business.

Thanks

Ever heard the expression: "A little knowledge is dangerous"?

In the absence of formal training and experience, this goes well beyond a breach of 'Australian Standards' (which I have a feeling have never been read) and extends to gross negligence.

Are you paying attention Techy21? You will never be able to say 'nobody told me' when this ends in tears.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 07-02-16 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

DPST? Is that techtalk for DiPShiT?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techy21 View Post
    people australia standards say has to be no programming just direct trigger......
    techy21 you answered your own question. This means that it must be a mechanical override and not software driven.

George where have you been have not seen you round here in ages?. You are only going to add to techy21 confusion, it will take him years to find the meaning of DPST.
    Last edited by kiwitech; 10-02-16 at 10:44 PM. Reason: add content

Thanks

Hi guys, hope you can help me out with this, now I know you have to wire the fire doors this way and been doing it for awhile, but I have a new customer where we have to connect up a few doors and their doors were done the "old" way. They don't want to spend the money to run a fire cable and use relays, but if I can show them where it is required by the wiring rules, that will make convincing them a lot easier. They don't want to just take my word for it , I've been through the rules and can't seem to find this, so if anyone can point me to the location in the rules it will be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by seacontracting; 26-02-16 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks

Simple rule of thumb that I work on when I'm integrating fire systems and access control regardless of where I am in the world. In case of fire, break glass (manual override). If for whatever reason I'm not sure, I don't touch until I am sure. I'd far prefer to look like an unknowledgeable idiot, than have someone killed, or badly injured as a result of something I got wrong. Put it like that to your bosses techy21, and tell them straight, if they want you to work on stuff like that, you'll need to do some extra courses.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seacontracting View Post
    if I can show them where it is required by the wiring rules, that will make convincing them a lot easier.
    Wiring rules are your problem. Refer them to the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

It contains compulsory requirements and establishes a duty of care to ensure that all exit doors are safe, functional and BCA code compliant.

Note that there is sometimes a lack of consensus between providers and potentially some 'grey area' (ask two people, get three opinions). Can vary somewhat from local council to council (each has Building and Fire Inspectors) and of course the Fire Brigade. Err to the side of caution at all times.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seacontracting View Post
    Hi guys, hope you can help me out with this, now I know you have to wire the fire doors this way and been doing it for awhile, but I have a new customer where we have to connect up a few doors and their doors were done the "old" way. They don't want to spend the money to run a fire cable and use relays, but if I can show them where it is required by the wiring rules, that will make convincing them a lot easier. They don't want to just take my word for it , I've been through the rules and can't seem to find this, so if anyone can point me to the location in the rules it will be greatly appreciated
    Please describe this "old" way, I have been doing this for close to 20 years and the only way I know is that by way of a contact provided by the fire protection company in appropriately rated fire cable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Just no. Seriously you either need to get some training appropriate to the level of system you're working on before someone suffers a loss as a result of the work you've done,or do something that's appropriate to your level of skill and knowledge.

If you're relying on an input and macro to do that job you're introducing far too many potential points of failure. Hard wire a DPST relay through which your lock power runs and trigger that from your fire panel output. Run the remaining set of terminals to a zone to tell the challenger what you've done. That way, it doesn't matter if the challenger has crapped it. Your doors will still open in the even of a fire provided of course you're using power to lock rather than unlock and have the appropriate fire rated cable to your relay etc.

Fire systems are a LIFE SAFETY device before they're an asset protection device. Just think about that for few minutes.
    Yes drive a reply!

This is basic knowledge. Who is this techy21 guy lol. Thats not good im sure ive seen a few posts like this from him now....
    Last edited by deanfourie; 28-02-16 at 05:13 AM.

Thanks

To have it fail safe it should be a n/c contact to the designated fire trip input on the door controller coming from a module or direct from the fire panel (bus or conventional system). If not sure talk to the fire brigade or the certifier and they will tell you 100% what is required or if they want has to be radox or if it can can be done they way you are suggesting, sometimes a BG next to the door is sufficient.

Yet the shit i see on a day to day basis is disturbing, contacts not fail safe, Chinese rubbish door controller coming in that require a n/c contact on a trip not n/o to open the doors or not even having a designated fire trip input and a wired through the push button inputs and so on.

Again talk to the people that can make the call what it has to be.