Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Network 10 plans for 2016

Banned
    Thanks

Default Network 10 plans for 2016

So now that Seven have announced 7flix and with the public info that Seven will relaunch 7HD before start of AFL season and that Nine are stuck in the lame duck position its time to start talking about Network 10 and their 2016 plans and possible new majority ownership.

What public info is known?
    10 is being forced to buy MCN Brands (which is currently owned by Foxtel) as part of the potential FOXTEL majority buyout however a few of there current high profile share holders are starting to make noise about possible deals.

On the on-line stream front, the manager in charge of TenPlay has left the job to take up the new NRL (Rugby League) digital media platform as they get ready to take control of their own website and digital media from Telstra.

The current 10 CEO has said they are not going to offer on-line streams of their channels like Seven (Plus7) and Nine (Nine Now) for the foreseeable future due to reasons mentioned below.

As for the broadcast TV side of the network, the public info is that 10 are working with their content suppliers and sports contracts to obtain digital media rights (live broadcast HD and live online stream) that will allow 10 to have HD media by bringing back 10HD, at the moment sport contracts is holding back progress especially with Fox Sports V8 Supercars having exclusive HD media broadcast and streaming rights in Australia and 10 only having 6 rounds of that championship and even then in SD only retransmission rights (as they get the feed from V8Media). There is a possibility that during those weekends that 10 does the FTA retransmission that they do alternative programming on 10 HD during broadcast times, the other is BBL however 10 don't have to worry about that till at least November this year.

10 are working hard to have 10HD (with the possible format MPEG4 HD 1280x720p 50hz DD5.1 audio and giving it around 7Mbits) ready by the F1 weekend which is 1 week before AFL season launch. If that happens and with the way that 10 does its bandwidth balancing One HD would disappear as they would has to keep 10 SD on the mux, there would be no bandwidth left to put One on SD MPEG2 and they won't be bothered to make One MPEG4 SD.

The other big issue for Network 10 is what Nine Ent Co does from July, its pretty much clear that Nine are trying to get the 75% reach rule abolished so they can either buy or merge Nine with Southern Cross Austereo, this would leave 10 to make a deal with WIN (which is not a WIN WIN situation for both sides).

So its a very interesting year for Network 10 in 2016.

Apologies if there are spelling or grammar errors, using a mobile to make this thread on a small screen and its hard to go through and check for errors.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

mtv (08-02-16),ol' boy (08-02-16),OSIRUS (08-02-16),pheggie (08-02-16)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_from_Oz View Post
    The other big issue for Network 10 is what Nine Ent Co does from July, its pretty much clear that Nine are trying to get the 75% reach rule abolished so they can either buy or merge Nine with Southern Cross Austereo, this would leave 10 to make a deal with WIN (which is not a WIN WIN situation for both sides).
    Tim Fisher, retired National Party Leader has been 'fronting' advertisements on Regional TV at least seeking to have this '75% Reach Rule' removed but Tony Abbott put it on the Back Burner just before he was 'rolled' and Malcolm Turnball doesnt seem to be treating it either as a high priority.
    If that rule does get removed, I'll bet there will be a hell of a lot of dust rising from the stampede as the interested parties vie for supremacy.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Bulldust mostly. The viewers have already voted and are now implementing policy. Their policy.

Recall that the commercial FTA operators do everything they possibly can to obscure their predicament. They manipulate ratings to a ridculous degree. Recall their 'no no, it doesn't affect us' stance regarding streaming. Things have gotten so bad they even they have finally admitted (but only just!) that there is a steady march of viewers away from broadcast television. The so called 'youth' market, tomorrow's viewers if you will, is particularly dire. If the march continues, and absolutely nothing the broadcasters have done to date has been effective in halting the march, in 10 years time no one in the 'youth' market will be watching any broadcast TV at all. All the broadcasters will be left with is a steadily diminishing population of oldies.

It really doesn't matter what 7, 9 or 10 do. They are all well on their way to total irrelevancy.

That's the reality of broadcast TV.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Bulldust mostly. It really doesn't matter what 7, 9 or 10 do. They are all well on their way to total irrelevancy.
    Nope, the big key difference is LIVE SPORT.

The content owners don't have the scale to provide there own "broadcast standard" subscription service, no way could for example AFL own and operate their own
    broadcast standard channel as they have no way to distribute it to the masses without using a 3rd party network system.

Even bigger USA based sports still rely on "over the air" and "cable/satellite/fibre TV" to get the content out to the masses and in return they charge those 3rd party providers rights fees.

AN on-line stream subscription method for Australia won't work because the content provider does not own the distribution system, well there is one such content owner like Foxtel
    but even then they do not own the distribution network, Telstra (for cable & mobile) and Optus (for satellite) do.

The old saying was barge your way in with live sport and they will let you stay for the movies. Well movies part is all part finished, general entertainment is now done and dusted also, so what is left?

LIVE SPORT and until the distribution system in Australia can be 100% full time broadcast quality with no download limits then AFL and NRL and every other sport will rely on those which are called "gate keepers".

Back on Ten, guess someone at there office in Melbourne is not to happy with me right now.

Thanks

Nope, it's bulldust.

Those sporting bodies are already looking at serving the public directly, snipping out the failing broadcasters. All the major sports are considering it, some are actually doing it.

The 'youth' market has already given up watching sport on FTA TV.

But just for the sake of the 'argument', suppose that the only way to watch 'sport' was to do it via commercial FTA TV. With the way the audiences are dwindling and drifting away from regular programming, even the broadcasters themselves are finally admitting this fact, do you think for a moment that FTA broadcasting will survive on the back of 'sports' only, which is all they are going to have leeft, if that? Try not to make me laugh too hard with your response.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 08-02-16 at 08:28 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Making you laugh is awesome as it shows how little you understand.

You claim the "youth market" has given up watching sport on FTA?

According to what published numbers?
    It was revealed that NRL and AFL streaming via Telstra only managed to get around 80,000 subscriptions (and even then only around 30,000 PAID the other 50,000 was given away free as part of specific mobile plans), yet FTA broadcasting of AFL and NRL went up last year by around 15% for each code.

Look at V8 Supercars on FTA (Channel 10 in SD no less), when it was a LIVE broadcast (of which there are 6 per year) round (actually technically a retransmission broadcast round) the viewing numbers were roughly what they were doing on Seven (and the 7 multi-channels around Australia) which is around the 400,000 range, yet the pay TV numbers were pretty poor only maxing out to around 85,000 for the exclusive live pay TV rounds, of the few people I know in that sport they all wish they could have more FTA rounds, a perfect example was last weekend with the Bathurst 12hr ... and you are trying to tell me the youth market has given up watching sport on FTA TV ... It more like SpankedGoose.

Like I mentioned earlier, unless the sporting body has the ability to distribute there content to the masses they will always rely on broadcasters to distribute that content and in return they get rights fees for access to the content, perfect example: EPL getting a big increase in rights fees for exclusive Australian access rights, Optus is paying a hell of a lot more then what Fox Sports ever did, Seven and Foxtel/Telstra are paying record numbers for AFL as are Nine/Fox Sports/Telstra for NRL.

That said I'll give you one example of the content provider doing there own distribution of content v ia there own broadband network, WWE and even then they need at least 2.5 million world wide viewers to break even, at best they have 1.2 million subscribers yet if you look at there rights deals they make more money selling there content rights to cable TV then having subscribers ... again LIVE SPORTS.

Premium Member

Thanks

People have been forecasting the demise of one form or another of Media every time something new comes along.
    Print Media has been forecast as 'DEAD' several times since the advent of radio along with the Motion Picture industry which was to shrivel up and die when Television was introduced .
    Computers were going to 'Save the Forrest' because of the storage means but instead seems to have created more use of paper as the electronic means have proved volatile.
    Home phones were to be obsolete and EVERYONE was going to have a Mobile.
    We were all going to have 'Flying Cars'
    Fly Sydney to London in 5 minutes flat.
    Nothing that existed a 100 years ago has actually disappeared but has instead has reinvented itself to fit the current needs and no doubt will continue to do so for a long time yet to come.
    Sports is the current 'Flavour of the Day' with massive amounts being spent on it and I dont think that will change anytime soon but there will be a level eventually reached as to how much sport can be presented before the audience tires of it and goes elsewhere.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 09-02-16 at 02:02 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Getting this topic back on track, did anyone notice 10 have scaled back bandwidth on Spree and TVSN?

Not by much but enough to make a difference, could it be that they are trying to find a balance in order to get ready for what they want to do.

I for one hope they do offer 720p which is technically in MPEG4 AVC Part_10 very effective at maintaining quality and screen changes more so than 1080i MPEG AVC Part_2 which is what Nine are using for Nine HD. That said they will need more bitrate possibly around 1.5 to 2Mbits more since its a full progressive scan line 50hz (frame rate) picture.
    Last edited by Escape_from_Oz; 09-02-16 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Nope, the big key difference is LIVE SPORT.

The content owners don't have the scale to provide there own "broadcast standard" subscription service, no way could for example AFL own and operate their own
    broadcast standard channel as they have no way to distribute it to the masses without using a 3rd party network system.
    I can subscribe on the MotoGP website and watch every round online. Same goes for World Superbikes, Formula 1 etc. I think the 3rd party has been cut out

........Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

[QUOTE=gordon_s1942;686637]Nothing that existed a 100 years ago has actually disappeared but has instead has reinvented itself to fit the current needs and no doubt will continue to do so for a long time yet to come./[quote]

The, uh, writing, is on the wall for newspapers and has been for years. Circulation, even including the large numbers of give-aways that are laid on, is well down and continuing to fall. Revenue has plumeted as one would expect. Massive staff reductions ensued to try to prop up the failing medium, which resulted in lower quality (stories, even just technical production), which has resulted in even more people saying "why bother". Its a nice vicious circle. The days of the newspaper are numbered.

The same goes for broadcast television. Even the broadcasters themselves are finally admitting the reality of falling viewer numbers, something that us out here in former-viewer land have been pointing out for years. The broadcasters didn't just open Pandora's box, they ripped the lid off it, then smashed it all into splinters. Their utterly contemptous treatment of the viewers by ruining many a program for years prompted many to go elsewhere for content. Once there they discovered a world of programming that is never seen on Australian TV, pay or FTA, and have no intention of giving it up and going back to broadcast TV.

Example of contemptous treatment? Not that I followed it but 9's treatment of the final episodes of The Mentalist are a prime example. Sure the programme wasn't a block buster but it still pulled in hundreds of thousands of viewers. Yet 9 decided to withhold running the last two episodes for so long that anyone interested had found the program via other means long before 9 finally and largely unannounced decided to air them. This is why I say HD doesn't matter. So long as they keep crap like that up, and all the commercial broadcasters do it, they are going to continue to lose viewers. Year after year. Their own figures indicate that if they don't halt the slide, no one under 30 will be watching them in 10 years time.

Premium Member

Thanks

Last night I saw a list of 10 popular programs that have disappeared from our screens and NONE were taken off by a Broadcaster but the Company making them.
    Some were in a type of serial format which meant the story line just suddenly ended without explanation.
    From memory Gilligan's Island was dumped despite it still being popular by the makers who didnt even tell the Cast it was finished until they asked when the new series was due to start filming.
    In many cases it all comes down to the 'Bottom Line' and the Bean Counters perception of it performing to meet the required critera.

Banned
    Thanks

If you are in a metro zone do a rescan and you will see LCN 13 - TENHD is now on the Network 10 mux but not broadcasting anything just blank screen. I said that 10 wanted to have their primary channel as HD MPEG4 and so it shall be they are trying hard to find bandwidth to make it a full 1280x720p 50hz (50fps) MPEG4 H264 with full DD5.1 audio around 48.1kHz with 320kbps audio with around 8Mbits bitrate, innkther words they want to make it the best HD channel on the FTA system, they also are aiming to launch it on the first day of the Australian Gran Prix F1 broadcast.

Banned
    Thanks

I was at a function today and over heard some crazy info, just deciding if I should make it known or not, remember their are some that plant flase info in gatherings to see who will bite and take the bait.

Okay so looks like LCN13 was a quick test to see if they could fit more on the mux without hurting current bandwidth rates, the Melbourne digital playout centre did the test and guess what? It failed. The interesting thing is that it took out the backups at the same time.

I can't see Network 10 giving up TVSN or Spree TV as they make % money from sale and rights fees and broadcast fees which is at the moment what is keeping 10 alive right now (remember 11 is co-owned with CBS), apparently ONE is costing 10/some serious cash, certain ownership want it ended and looks like they will get there way which then makes way for 10HD as a full MPEG4 720p 50Hz scanlines channel while also keeping 10SD in place for the those that don't have MPEG4 equipment. Why 720p and not 1080i? Progressive scanline rate, also they can then balance there MPEG2 SD channels with more bitrate (as ABC have done), remember its better to be. progressive than interlaced.

Okay so I thought about it and have decided not to make it known, its just to strange to post that info, maybe someone else will post it elsewhere, I mean its not like that could ever be an option.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

pheggie (13-02-16)

Thanks

I was at a function today and over heard some crazy info, just deciding if I should make it known or not, remember their are some that plant flase info in gatherings to see who will bite and take the bait.
    OK, I'll bite and take the bait.

Okay so looks like LCN13 was a quick test to see if they could fit more on the mux without hurting current bandwidth rates, the Melbourne digital playout centre did the test and guess what? It failed. The interesting thing is that it took out the backups at the same time.
    That statement makes no sense. Adding more content with a fixed carriage rate (approx 23Mbit/sec) means 'current bandwidth rates' will be hurt, ie existing services will take a reduction in their bitrate. There is no quick test to determine this, it's just a fact. It failed? Well no surprise there, as explained previously.

"It took out the backups" What? If the test was to simply try to jam another service into the mux nothing would have been taken out. The muxers would simply try to fit it all in and drop packets that exceeded the maximum supported packet rate. Of course given that the overall packet rate is already known (and therefore the maximum total bit rate) no engineer would have needed to test to see if they could put > the maximum packet rate into a specific mux because... well... you can't.

Another possibility is that (without knowing specifics of 10's arrangements) suppose 10 use separate encoders and stat muxers that entirely within themselves perform texture recompression to shape program rates so that they all fit within the mux rather than a more integrated solution (there are many ways it can be done). Well the engineers would have already understood the limits as to the number of services the stat muxer could recompress concurrently so no need to test that, but suppose they did, and exceeded the capabilities of the device? Packets get dropped and one (or more) services degrade in a similar fashion to what happens if you have dodgy reception. Suppose it could handle it? Textures get severely overcompressed and the picture quality goes to hell, but again nothing 'is taken out'.

So what was 'taken out'? The truth of what was actually attempted and the truth of the results, I suspect.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 13-02-16 at 06:00 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

LCN13 was on air from 6:30am to around 6:45am last Thursday morning in Melbourne and Sydney for a quick test as a MPEG4 HD 1280x720p 50Hz DD5.1 with around total 8Mbits test transmission on there back up internal system however it was also on the main system for around 30 seconds till someone noticed the error as it was supposed to be an internal test only, those people that have TVs that auto pick up channels if they went to ch13 would of seen

TENHD DD 720p ...

Ten now are now looking at the options they have and as I mentioned last night they are not about to drop TVSN or Spree TV from there mux as those two channels bring in revenue to the network that 10 desperately needs, One is costing 10 a small fortune at the moment because its not supposed to be showing the content that it is as it was never structured that way, the quick thinking is drop ONE (which is what they are gonna do) bring in 10HD (MPEG4 HD) with the simulcast of 10SD (MPEG2) and then look for a partner to start a new MPEG4 SD channel (as that is all they pretty much can do) as they did with 11 which is co-owned by CBS.

Ten want HD to (re)launch for the F1 weekend (March 18) which will give them a 1 week jump on Seven (March 24) all the content hurdles they had have pretty much been cleared, sadly for those who are Supercar fans during the 6 live rounds they will have alternative programing on TEN10 and also for the 1 hour highlight packages will only be in SD because of the Supercars exclusive deal with Fox Sports where they get HD, so basically the only Supercars content that will be HD is from the F1 weekend races which are not for the championship points the other big hurdle to jump was cost and one further down the road is with BBL but they dont have to worry about that till around mid November.

OK, I'll bite and take the bait.

Nope.

Thanks

So what part of this test failed, and what part of TEN's standby (backup) systems 'were taken out' as a result of the test? Are you able to answer that or are you just going to post another block of nothing in particular?

Banned
    Thanks

looks like spree has been sprung which might suggest ONE survives as a MPEG2 SD channel after all.

Banned
    Thanks

looks like spree has been sprung which might suggest ONE survives as a MPEG2 SD channel after all.
    Someone in the washing machine brand forum has claimed that TENHD will be on from March 2nd 2016.

Maybe so, but at last known public info Network 10 could not get FoxSports to agree to FTA HD broadcast for V8SC. I don't think that has changed since last Monday.

Thanks

I for one hope they do offer 720p which is technically in MPEG4 AVC Part_10 very effective at maintaining quality and screen changes more so than 1080i MPEG AVC Part_2 which is what Nine are using for Nine HD.
    What the hell are you talking about? “MPEG-4 Part 10” is just another name for H.264 / AVC. Of course Nine are using it. The codec doesn't magically change because Nine went with 1080i/25 over 720p/50.

"MPEG-4 Part 2" refers to the old legacy H.263-derived MPEG-4 Video implemented in DivX, XviD, etc that no one uses anymore.
    Last edited by SteveBuscemi; 20-02-16 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks

SSSSssshhhhh (that's the sound escaping sewage makes, apparently)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast