Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: WINTV, New Channels SOON for Regional viewers !!!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default WINTV, New Channels SOON for Regional viewers !!!

see WINTV.com.au

I was checking out the Strong STB after lunch to see if it showed what channels were MPEG2 or 4 and found 2 NEW channels displaying a WIN logo.
    I have no idea when they began transmitting but there they are, in the Orange/Dubbo area anyway..................

If this keeps up it looks like I will have to very seriously considering buying at least 1 stb to enable the TV's that cant receive it.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 10-02-16 at 01:39 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

David071 (10-02-16),OSIRUS (10-02-16)

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

2 new channels, Gee's could they be the new shopping channels?

Obviously they are 9Life and WINHD.

But its good to see the new 6 month deal has had a positive effect on WIN which will be desperate to continue to Nine content deal as a Network 10 deal would see WIN fall well behind Prime.

Premium Member

Thanks

I will give WIN full marks for their website as it explains in detail what is proposed and how to receive the new channels which is something the PRIME/SEVEN network neglected to do before or after starting their new channels.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-02-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

WINHD and 9Life

(NSW Orange and Districts selected)

What’s new?
    The WIN Network is launching 2 exciting new channels, WINHD and 9Life.

WINHD will give you exceptionally clear, crisp pictures with vivid colours and double the detail of standard definition, adding extra life to all your favourite programs, movies and sport.

9Life offers the best in Lifestyle and Reality content sourced from around the world, including popular franchises like The Bachelor and The Real Housewives

When will WINHD and 9Life be available on my TV?
    The WIN Network is currently working on the commencement date which will be announced soon.

How will I know if I am able to receive the new channels?
    The Free to Air television Industry is moving to new technology called Mpeg 4 which allows us to view more channels at a higher quality.

Some broadcasters have already commenced transmissions using this new technology.

For instance, if you are currently receiving programs on channels 64 & 68, or our test slide on 85 & 86 you are ready to receive WINHD and 9Life.

A simple retune of your receiver will confirm if you are able to get the new channels.

Note
    WINHD and 9Life will not be available until the official launch date which will be announced soon. You will need to retune on this date!

Will my channel numbers change?
    Some of your existing channel numbers will change and new channels will be added.

Stay tuned to wintv.com.au for more information on the changes.

How can I watch these new channels?
    When available, to watch WINHD and 9Life you will need to retune your TV.

Some receivers will tune automatically to the new channels and some will require you to RETUNE.

Some older Televisions & Set Top Boxes may not be able to receive the new channels.

Note
    WINHD and 9Life will not be available until the official launch date which will be announced soon. You will need to retune on this date!

How do I retune to receive the new channels?
    Check your device’s Operating Manual for guidance, however if you don’t have the Manual, following is a typical guide to retuning of digital TV’s, Set Top Boxes and PVR’s.

Firstly, on your devices remote control, locate the following buttons:
    • MENU
    • The four arrow keys
    • OK/ENTER

Secondly, to commence retuning:
    • Push MENU
    • Using the arrow keys, locate & highlight SET-UP or CHANNEL SEARCH
    • Select using OK/ENTER
    • Using the arrow keys, locate & highlight AUTO TUNING
    • Select using OK/ENTER
    • The tuning process usually takes a few minutes, with a progress bar often being shown

Note

What if I can’t receive the new channels?
    You may need to visit your local Electrical Store and ask about their Mpeg 4 capable TV’s.

If you don’t upgrade to an Mpeg 4 capable TV, you will still be able to receive all your favourite programs on WIN, GEM and GO.

WINHD is simulcast with WIN so you’ll still receive the same programs in Standard Definition on WIN.

WINHD & 9Life will be ready for you when you upgrade your TV or device with the new Mpeg 4 technology.

Note

Help and advice
    For specific retuning instructions, consult your TV manual.

For further assistance call the WINHD and 9Life help line 02 42234199.

Close
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 10-02-16 at 04:48 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Banned
    Thanks

It's funny as around 4pm today WIN Coro launched legal action against Nine Ent Co doing on-line streaming via 9Now ...

Should WIN get the injunction no doubt that it would also affect Seven and its Plus7 streaming of all there owned and operated stations to anyone that wants to view.

There is a way to block regional access but its messy and no doubt a work around will be found (look at the trouble Netflix have in trying to kill off international streams).

As for WIN HD and 9Life, well yeah there was nothing else it could of been, the problem for WIN now is load balancing there bandwidth to so many regional locations they have been able to get away with GEM HD being as low bitrate as you can go for MPEG2 HD for a long time but simulcasting the primary channel and adding another MPEG2 channel will strech them all the way to around 22Mbits not leaving a lot for CC and quality audio levels.

Thanks

Can't block by IP address due to the nature of broadband delivery* in Australia. Can't block by PTR for the same reason. Just how do you propose to block people in Australia from viewing out of licence area programming?

*at least for ADSL, FTTN and FTTP (excluding Telstra Internet Direct as it's locally routed at the POI and therefore has more granual IP address allocations, howevefr one POI can still cover far more than one broadcast licence area)
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 10-02-16 at 06:31 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_from_Oz View Post
    simulcasting the primary channel and adding another MPEG2 channel will strech them all the way to around 22Mbits not leaving a lot for CC and quality audio levels.
    WIN aren't adding another MPEG-2 channel. They're doing what Nine should have done by launching 9Life as MPEG-4. I'm not sure if Extra and Gold will also be MPEG-4, but if I was to guess, they would have to be for them to maintain any kind of decent picture quality.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Can't block by IP address due to the nature of broadband delivery* in Australia. Can't block by PTR for the same reason. Just how do you propose to block people in Australia from viewing out of licence area programming?
    The only way forward for WIN is to work with Nine. Start streaming and integrate the streams within 9Now. The risk of users faking their geo location to watch Nine is nothing compared to sitting on your arse and doing nothing. WIN part owns a "state-of-the-art" facility which was built to cope with future demands - one of the advantage of amalgamating operations. Costs aside, the logistics of streaming their channels would be minimal as a result.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    WIN aren't adding another MPEG-2 channel. They're doing what Nine should have done by launching 9Life as MPEG-4. I'm not sure if Extra and Gold will also be MPEG-4, but if I was to guess, they would have to be for them to maintain any kind of decent picture quality.
    9Life will be MPEG2 SD don't know where you got your info from but the only MPEG4 channel WIN will be doing is the straight 9HD feed in each state/territory but with there own regional ad and news break spots.

Gem goes to MPEG2 SD, in fact it's the same set up that Nine uses with the exception of Gold which is on super low bandwidth.

Premium Member
    Thanks

9Life will be MPEG2 SD don't know where you got your info from
    From the WIN website:

What if I can’t receive the new channels?
    [...]
    WINHD & 9Life will be ready for you when you upgrade your TV or device with the new Mpeg 4 technology.
    [...]
    If you don’t upgrade to an Mpeg 4 capable TV, you will still be able to receive all your favourite programs on WIN, GEM and GO.
    That translates to; if you don't have an MPEG-4 device, you won't get WINHD and 9Life. The existing channels WIN, 9Gem and 9Go! will remain as MPEG-2 channels. I'm assuming Extra and Gold will also be MPEG-4, but WIN hasn't explicitly confirmed this.
    Last edited by Smacca; 11-02-16 at 03:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    The only way forward for WIN is to work with Nine. Start streaming and integrate the streams within 9Now. The risk of users faking their geo location to watch Nine is nothing compared to sitting on your arse and doing nothing. WIN part owns a "state-of-the-art" facility which was built to cope with future demands - one of the advantage of amalgamating operations. Costs aside, the logistics of streaming their channels would be minimal as a result.
    Yes, but they also use that state of the art facility to produce, arguably, the worst picture quality going to air in Australian FTA broadcasting. Just because they have access to something doesn't mean they would use it in a sensible way.

*edit*

It seems that WIN has taken the and has started legal proceedings against 9 in an attempt for force it to stop streaming. No surprise there.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 11-02-16 at 07:55 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

OK I missed that info, however with the legal action that WIN Corp has taken against Nine I will say that Nine will tell WIN that 9life must be MPEG2.

Just a guess but Nine can't be happy that it's regional partner is pissed that 9now allows regional zone access to Nine netwotk and as such will want WIN to follow the same broadcast standard they have, in other words make sure everyone can view every SD based channel.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Why would a court case involving online streaming have anything to do with that? It's pretty clear the metro broadcasters don't care what services the regional affiliates rebroadcast or how they do it. 9Life is going to be MPEG-4, I don't see why that reality is so difficult to comprehend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Yes, but they also use that state of the art facility to produce, arguably, the worst picture quality going to air in Australian FTA broadcasting. Just because they have access to something doesn't mean they would use it in a sensible way.

*edit*

It seems that WIN has taken the and has started legal proceedings against 9 in an attempt for force it to stop streaming. No surprise there.
    Having worked for them and knowing the people involved, I can safely state that this is their default position for everything (adversarial that is...).

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stump1100 View Post
    Having worked for them and knowing the people involved, I can safely state that this is their default position for everything (adversarial that is...).
    'Even though I dont want it, I dont want you to have it either'
    Its makes you wonder at times when they engage in Legalistic Fisticuffs just what their motives are.
    One thing though I am sure of is both their Legal teams will say that their Clients 'In Their Opinion have a strong case to present'.

I just checked one TV that is MPEG4 compatible, on the Info Display channel, with the exception of 86, all channels are in 576i.
    86 is not showing the resolution at all.
    85 & 86 are also showing H 264 which I take is something to do with MPEG4.
    I am guessing to conform with the 'Grand Plan',
    LCN 8 which is the 'Main' channel will be in MPEG4, HD,
    Technically can say either 85 or 86 go to MPEG2 SD and be the simulcast of LCN8 and the other with be 9HOME in SD MPEG4?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

It's funny as around 4pm today WIN Coro launched legal action against Nine Ent Co doing on-line streaming via 9Now ...

Should WIN get the injunction no doubt that it would also affect Seven and its Plus7 streaming of all there owned and operated stations to anyone that wants to view.
    I wonder would a change of WIN & NBN branding to NINE branding ..... satisfy WIN's complaint against Nine Ent Co doing on-line streaming via 9Now ?

Maybe WIN should buy Nine Entertainment Co out ...... & then do with it what it wants .....

Maybe this is a strategical move to bring Nine Entertainment and WIN to a negotiating table ....
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 11-02-16 at 06:07 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    Maybe WIN should buy Nine Entertainment Co out ...... & then do with it what it wants .....
    I'm fairly sure that will never happen while certain people are running the "show" especially after Adelaide and Perth. The level of animosity between the two organisations at certain levels is/was astounding and made working relationships extremely difficult...

My personal opinion is that a relationship with "Ten" is more likely (and often speculated upon internally)

• The Following User Says Thank You to stump1100 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (12-02-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    I wonder would a change of WIN & NBN branding to NINE branding ..... satisfy WIN's complaint against Nine Ent Co doing on-line streaming via 9Now ?

Maybe this is a strategical move to bring Nine Entertainment and WIN to a negotiating table ....
    At the moment that idea isnt possible because of the cross media/75% coverage rules but if it was, would either be interested apart from the 'Personnel issues' with the current owners to buy the other out ?
    Thats not to say it wont ever happen or each will never own shares in the other if it suits them to do so, after all its 'only Business' as the Marfia says.

You might think its idiotic for these 2 companies to be at each others throats because they dont appear to be competing in the same Market areas at the moment but maybe they are perceiving that along with 'Streaming', this could seriously impact on their dotted line as does the 'overlap' of the signal from Wollongong.
    I dont know if other Capitol cities have this 'problem' but WIN based in Wollongong south of Sydney covers a surprisingly large area of the Sydney Metro area as well as into the Blue Mountains.
    Pre digital days it was a viable signal to places like Lithgow and Oberon and many sought the channel during major sporting fixtures that were either 'Blacked Out' or on delay to the Sydney area to see the full days play.
    To say NINE isnt aware of this happening and cant do a thing about it must cause some friction between the two broadcasters.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-02-16 at 12:20 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (12-02-16)

Banned
    Thanks

During the analogue days I would agree with you that if viewers in the Southern regions of Sydney they could easily adjust there antenna and easily pick up the Wollongong basin channels of Prime, WIN and I think they used to call it 1O Wollongong (remember in the analogue days), the same applied for S orthern Sydney zones they easily could get Prime, NBN and NRTV (10) and the western zones could easily get Prime, WIN and what ever 10/regional translator from Lightgow (which was getting the feed from Orange).

Going way way way back using DX method I was able to view good old MID STATE TELEVISION off the Bathurst feed (from member that channel is now part of Prime but back in the day was almost a Nine based content channel), Capital 7 and as I mentioned above 8/11 which became NRTV which is now part of Southern Cross 10, but Mid Sate Television was the best back in the day they had the best of 7, 9 and 10 all in one simple analogue channel. It's like friends in Northern QLD with RTV (which became STAR TV which is now part of 7 Network Coastal QLD) ... I suggest people who want to know more should wiki the word AGGREGATION in AUSTRALIA and go from there to find out how everything used to be why it's is the way it is today.

In today's digital word its pretty much to hard to pick up the regional UHF signals, that said down at Jervis Bay I easily get both South Coast NSW feed (from Bateman's Bay translator) or Wollongong master feed as I right located right in the middle of the overlaps but there is no difference to programming content just commercials and news/weather/sport spots are different, I simply leave it set to South Coast NSW, its fun to see the local SC/ACT AND Wagga/Albury commericals.

When I go west its pretty much all VAST (digital FTA satellite) but I do get access to Imparga and 7 Central which is cool to watch, the Alice Springs based commercials are so laid back.

In the old days provided you had the right smart card Optus Aurora had pretty much what ever Optus B1, B3, had and with dual LNB and STU with dual cam PAS8 before they changed the encryption system. Of course that is all changed now.

As for Nine and WIN not being on the best of terms, Gee's its been that way since the first day Bruce Gordon bought WIN from Murdoch because Murdoch tried to use WIN4 to broadcast in Sydney as the 4th commercial FTA network in the mid 70's, Packer and then Fairfax owned Seven were mighty pissed, Murdoch sold WIN4 to Gordon and then Murdoch bought Network 10 (Sydney ops only) and he lost so much that he sold it off to Westfield's owner Frank Lowey but that is another story for another day, so yeah WIN and Nine are not not on the same page since then then throw in the mess Adelaide 9 and Perth 9 was (and still is) which have only been part of Nine since the mid 2000's because Packer Snr never saw any value in thise markets.
    Last edited by Escape_from_Oz; 12-02-16 at 02:40 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (12-02-16)

Thanks

the Alice Springs based commercials are so laid back.
    LOL not when you live in northern NSW and have to put up with the VAST (pun intended) array of 2nd-rate, amateurish ads that get served up each night, I think I can recite the Desert Dwellers ad in my sleep!

• Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast