Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: WINTV, New Channels SOON for Regional viewers !!!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

While I think WIN only took on the additional broadcasting licenses in certain areas because no one else would, I am sure they werent the financial loser by doing so.
    People forget the use of NINE as a station identification is not that old as they always used the full TCN (for NSW) or TCN-9 previously.
    Country people tended to use the Station name rather than the channel number, very much so where it used Translators.
    Many in my area many had the ability to pick up NBN (Newcastle) or WIN and generally referred to them as such.
    I could also pick up the Sydney channels and found it easier to use the channel number just for them.

I have a feeling WIN caused no small amount of angst with the Packer (PBL) run NINE when during the Cricket and some Football Tests, Sydney was 'Blacked out' but WIN being a 'Regional' Channel had full live coverage and their broadcasts could be seen over a wide area of the Sydney Metropolitan area and there was nothing NINE or Packer could do about it.
    I dont think its unfair to say if you managed to upset old Sir Frank or Kerry, unless it was for financial gain, you had made an enemy for life.
    Although the Packers are long gone, it seems the old animosities are still present in the boardrooms of both.
    In later years CBN8/CWN6 based at Orange adopted the word PRIME and it along with NBN and WIN, was used as was ABC, rather than a Channel number when people spoke about what they had seen on TV.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 09-03-16 at 06:30 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

In metro regions in the last let's say 30 years it's been known as the channel numbers, well with me it has that said the Commonwealth owned networks have been pushed hard as ABC and SBS for a long time, granted SBS at first was pushed pushed as 0/28 but that changed a long time ago to the network beading SBS around 1989 from memory.

But for me it's always been 7, 9 & 10 and now with the multi-channels associated withnthe main primary branding for 7 and 9 (7two & 9life for example) with Ten being the only one to not link primary channel with the multi-channels (as in EVELVEN and ONE have no family links to the primary channel Ten).

I have mentioned before that when Murdoch owned WIN4 he tried to broadcast into the Sydney market and was able to reach a fair bit of what is now known as the South West Sydney region of Macarthur and was also able to hit the Sutherland-Shire and into South Sydney (along the coast line)/ Eastern Suburns regions like Marourbra, Coogee and Bondi/Bondi Junction, but in my area I could never get signal and in order to get reception I lost SBS/ABC so I was not worth it as back in the those days Seven then Ten did rugby league but Nine did do the Origin games but they took a long time to get major ratings.

When Murdoch sold WIN to Gordon to buy TEN (Sydney and Melbourne) he tried to get WIN out of Sydney markets and Gordon did scale back WIN reception but if you knew how you could still get some coverage.

In any case that was a long time ago and in today's world Nine and WIN are only working together because they have to due to the current agregattion rules where the regionals must be aligned with metro networks but can still do there own "breakaway" programming and the more they do the more points they score with the government, WIN can sort of go at it alone right now but content is not cheap so they both work with each other but really don't want to.

Put it this way, if Nine could walk away from WIN and go with SCA they would be paying more out of there own pocket for NRL then they are with WIN doing all the regional broadcasting.

Banned
    Thanks

Little birdie said that GEM, Go, Extra and Gold are all being switched to MPEG4 very soon.

Another birdie also said that there might be a new general entertainment channel exclusive to WIN that will have basically everything they have content wise + local news and some local sporting events on it as a way to build viewership and also a way to make WIN be ready in case they are forced to make a deal with a Foxtel controlled Ten.

Thanks

That's good, GEM is the only one I watch sometimes,not 9 Life...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_from_Oz View Post
    Little birdie said that GEM, Go, Extra and Gold are all being switched to MPEG4 very soon.
    I take it that little birdie is The Australian's report on a potential SCA/Nine affiliation deal, where a single frequency may house both Nine and Ten channels? I wouldn't rely on that info too much as it's entirely dependent on WIN sitting on their arse and doing nothing, or folding, both of which is unlikely. It's a wise 'worst case scenario' plan but when I read between the lines, all I see is "WIN now has no choice but to side with Ten", which won't necessarily mean an all-MPEG-4 offering from a Nine-affiliated SCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_from_Oz View Post
    Another birdie also said that there might be a new general entertainment channel exclusive to WIN that will have basically everything they have content wise + local news and some local sporting events on it as a way to build viewership and also a way to make WIN be ready in case they are forced to make a deal with a Foxtel controlled Ten.
    Is this an assumption based on WIN "going it alone" in the future, should Nine and SCA come to this dual affiliation arrangement?

When you say "little birdie", I assume industry rumour or grapevine chatter from within the ranks of the networks. Is that what this is, or are you just guessing what could happen?
    Last edited by Smacca; 21-03-16 at 06:58 PM.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    I take it that little birdie is The Australian's report on a potential SCA/Nine affiliation deal, where a single frequency may house both Nine and Ten channels? I wouldn't rely on that info too much as it's entirely dependent on WIN sitting on their arse and doing nothing, or folding, both of which is unlikely. It's a wise 'worst case scenario' plan but when I read between the lines, all I see is "WIN now has no choice but to side with Ten", which won't necessarily mean an all-MPEG-4 offering from a Nine-affiliated SCA.
    Maybe ... "watch this space"

The question is, will ACMA allow Nine Southern Cross Ent Co* allow what is effectively 2 primary channels + supplementary channels on the same allocated MHz bandwidth frequency?
    Case in point, MIA region with WIN being forced to use 3 frequencies for WIN (+ multi channels), Win7 (+ the multi-channels ex Flix) & Win10 (+ the multi channels minus 10HD).

* Not the name of a potential Nine + Southern Cross Media (minus Austereo) merger, but potentially could be the name.

Is this an assumption based on WIN "going it alone" in the future, should Nine and SCA come to this dual affiliation arrangement?
    I don't know 100%, what I do know is that work orders have been commissioned for such a development, of course they would need to move two current existing multi-channels (Go & Gem) from MPEG2 to MPEG4 to allow for the new WIN only general entertainment channel to be on the system.

When you say "little birdie", I assume industry rumour or grapevine chatter from within the ranks of the networks. Is that what this is, or are you just guessing what could happen?
    I thought I saw a tweedie bird!

Banned
    Thanks

how does V8 Supercars and Master Chef sound on WIN TV for you guys in regional areas?

Its on, its on like donkey kong!

Looks like not only with there be a "WIN TV" only channel but WIN 10 (with the regional LCN matching what is currently being used by SC10) is looking like it will now happen ... also looks like Mr Gordon is gonna play the "we can beat you" game also by possibly raiding Network Ten before Murdoch via Foxtel consumes it ...

Crazy stuff that Nine could end up in a far more worse position than it is now because NRL rights i regional areas would still go with WIN as they have paid for 2 years upfront. At least we know that 7 and Prime + GWN7 are rock solid

• The Following User Says Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (31-03-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

I am Curious as to how the Rights to screen programs like the V8 Supercars works.
    For many years the big race at Bathurst was not available to those in the Orange/Dubbo license area (CBN8/CWN6) just like the Test Cricket matches when played in Sydney were only screened part time which is where WIN4 first got up the nose of a certain TV mogul by being able to cover a fair area of Sydney and showing the full days play !!.

Do the Copyright holders just sell to a Metro network and let it go from there to the 'affiliates' or do they dictate who can see what where?

At least with Motor racing its never the same thing twice but there are only so many ways to grill a steak and fry the odd egg so I hope this doesnt end up like TEN's ONE that was to be the 'Sports channel extraordinaire' but had to change its format and provide some other variety programing as well.

Thanks for the info Escape_from_Oz, more tantalizing grist for the Mill.................
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I am Curious as to how the Rights to screen programs like the V8 Supercars works.
    For many years the big race at Bathurst was not available to those in the Orange/Dubbo license area (CBN8/CWN6) just like the Test Cricket matches when played in Sydney were only screen
    My understanding is that with the cricket back in the day that Packer and Cricket admins at the end of the WSC had in place that what ever city they were in the local TV channel was either on delay or only 1/3 shown, the official reason was fans should go to the ground and watch live, which of course ment the admins would make gate and conssisions money in addition to the TV rights.

That all changed when pay TV started.

A few examples:
    Cricket
    State of Origin
    Bathurst 500/1000
    Some NSL (Soccer) matches back when SBS and 10 did NSL in the early to mid 80's.

Premium Member

Thanks

I can understand their reasoning because unless your a Died in the Wool fan and enjoy getting burnt or soaked or both, you cant beat the comforts of Home as many sporting facilities are less than 'Salubrious' as one Comic used to say and people wont pay unless they have too and back then, most sporting venues were in a poor state along with poor quality over priced food and merchandise.
    But as usual they forget that their TV audience in the 'Blacked Out' areas can be 100 or more times greater than the SCG, MCG or other area can ever hold.

I went to one Car Race at the very short lived Track at Catalina Pool in Katoomba and saw 5 metres of the track and a roaring blur as each car raced past as each race barely lasted 10 minutes and I said I would never go to another again and I havent.

Banned
    Thanks

I said before that if pointed the ariel in the correct position back in 80's I could get the Wollongong channels which was great back then get cricket and NSWRFL & the early SOO games when Nine in Sydney under Alan Bond is ownership was doing all kinds of crazy programming.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Order in the TV court as Nine & WIN argue over 9NOW service

Nine and WIN Television were back in the NSW Supreme Court over the legal stoush surrounding Nine’s new 9NOW service.

WIN claims Nine is denying it advertising revenue by the Live streaming service being accessible in WIN markets.

Fairfax Media reports the judge has challenged WIN to bring an internet-connected TV into court to demonstrate that the app, which is available on phones, laptops and Android devices, can be accessed on a browser on a television. If so, it could sway the definition of the word “broadcasting.”

“Is the argument that I should regard this as broadcasting because it ends up on the television screen?” Justice Hammerschlag asked.

“Well, if this is a real argument, why not just set a television up here and let’s see that it works? Why do I have to operate on the basis of a hypothesis …If you’re right it might be a powerful point, I don’t know.”

It isn’t clear if WIN will take up the TV test challenge.

Last week, Ian Audsley chief executive of Seven’s regional affiliate partner Prime Media Group, told a Senate hearing his network Prime was losing advertising sales to the metro network’s streaming service.

Nine argued it would be difficult to shut down its 9 Now in the areas where WIN retransmits without shutting down the entire service.

Both parties resume in court today.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

If WIN's legal team couldn't foresee the judge throwing down that challenge and either having a TV set up on a trolley ready to wheel in, or even be able to whip out a mobile phone and say 'here your honour' then I don't think WIN is going to come out of this one covered in glory.

As for Nine's argument. Spot on. If Nine provides a streaming service for Brisbane, there is no practical way to prevent everyone else in Queensland from viewing it.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    If WIN's legal team couldn't foresee the judge throwing down that challenge and either having a TV set up on a trolley ready to wheel in, or even be able to whip out a mobile phone and say 'here your honour' then I don't think WIN is going to come out of this one covered in glory.

As for Nine's argument. Spot on. If Nine provides a streaming service for Brisbane, there is no practical way to prevent everyone else in Queensland from viewing it.
    One of many battles looming no doubt as they (TV Broadcasters) 'Test the Water' relating to the changing Media Laws and as for any of each sides Legal Team expressing less 'Than in our Opinion Our Client has a very Good Case and will be presenting it Vigorously in Court', is just an utter impossibility.

You dont always 'Have to WIN, to Win' but in losing, you could create a situation (change Laws) that will prevent 'Others' from gaining by your loss.
    Based on some of the comments we are hearing in this Forum, either WINTV and NINE Entertainment are dedicated to decimating the other or their 'bouncing off each other' to achieve a goal not immediately apparent.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    One of many battles looming no doubt as they (TV Broadcasters) 'Test the Water' relating to the changing Media Laws and as for any of each sides Legal Team expressing less 'Than in our Opinion Our Client has a very Good Case and will be presenting it Vigorously in Court', is just an utter impossibility.

You dont always 'Have to WIN, to Win' but in losing, you could create a situation (change Laws) that will prevent 'Others' from gaining by your loss.
    Based on some of the comments we are hearing in this Forum, either WINTV and NINE Entertainment are dedicated to decimating the other or their 'bouncing off each other' to achieve a goal not immediately apparent.
    Channel 9 won the court case ...

So technically live TV rebroadcasting via internet streaming (IPTV) is currently legal according to the federal court, so that means Seven West Media basically going everywhere with every channel and 9now can go into non licence broadcast regions.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (28-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

WIN loses bid to get 9Now live streaming service banned from its broadcast area

Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Banned
    Thanks

SO it was confirmed tonight on WIN Local News that they will continue on the same LCN positions they currently have for the new WIN TV from July 1.

So essentially
    - 08: WIN SD (re: Network 10 MPEG2 SD main channel)
    - 80: WIN HD (re: Network 10 MPEG4 HD main channel)

What is not clear is on the multi channels on what LCN (other than being in the 81 to 89 range) and if they will be MPEG2 or MPEG4 and if TVSN makes its way over to WIN (which I don't think is the case)

• Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456