Thread: VAST power board 'dying'?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default VAST power board 'dying'?

I noticed today my UEC DSD 4121 display was blinking intermittently between the channel number and the 4 horizontal lines.
    Just recently we have had some really heavy weather that has knocked the signal out so it didnt sink in for a few minutes.
    On checking, the picture is indeed freezing and pixelating along with a message saying 'No Signal'.
    This SBT is possibly 5 plus years old and I am not sure if it was the first or second one because if it is the first, then it has worked until now without fault.
    I am guessing its a power supply board fault of some sort as these UEC's are renown for that so I have to decide is it worth fixing or getting a new STB altogether.

The only board I found on Ebay was a 12V one for $65 which is of no use to me so who else sells them please because all I keep finding on line is 'Power Boards' for extension cords.
    If its a straight swap of parts I should be able to do that but if more complicated, no interest.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    If its a straight swap of parts I should be able to do that but if more complicated, no interest.
    Have you looked at the power supply board to see if there are any bulging capacitors?
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

Here you go,

• The Following User Says Thank You to joezep For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (12-02-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Took the lid off but nothing appears untoward with the capacitors, no doming or bulges that I can see but that doesnt mean much.

Thanks for the site, Joezep.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I have all the components for the 240v power supply, never cost more than a few dollars to repair the faulty ones I come across. There's usually a couple pop up when there is a power outage around here.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Took the lid off but nothing appears untoward with the capacitors, no doming or bulges that I can see but that doesnt mean much.

Made one of these a thousand years ago, most useful bit of kit I ever came across for checking discharged in circuit electrolytics.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

Hi Gordon,
    From my experience it does not sound like the box.
    Optus KMF22 LNBFs fail regularly showing this symptom at first.
    You also might check your cable for marks in the outer insulation (usually birds pecking the cable) and letting some moisture in.
    You could always give your box to another person to try for a few days just to prove the point.
    Regards,

Premium Member

Thanks

Your post jogged a memory and after swapping over the 2 UEC's I have, I found the box it came in and there was the invoice from when I sent it to Altech with this problem well over 2 years ago.
    They returned the STB with a note saying they could find nothing wrong with it but on a separate service report, it said they had replaced 4 Diodes !!
    Since then it seems to have worked 'normaly' sharing the Co-Ax with a Humax and my Aurora Card.
    I noticed a few weeks ago the display wasnt lit on the Humax but as it was more of hassle to disconnect everything, I just left it there sit as it wasnt in use.
    The replacement UEC showed a bit of freezing before I pulled the Humax out so I am wondering if the 'Pass Through' might have been causing the fault but it affected one STB more than the other?
    The UEC that was really playing up did flash and click a few times after I connected it to the other Dish, it looks like there is a loose connection but no matter how you handle the STB, you cant make it happen.
    I have decided not to followup with any repairs as its now over 4 years old and even though the odd flash is annoying, the STB is really just a spare I will keep it in use and replace it with a later model 'in the fullness of time'.