Hahaha, I love electrical threads.....

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (14-02-16),TVguy (14-02-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    My oven 15A outlet has a 32A fuse..
    Just went out and had a look at mine...same. 15A oven plug, but fuse (old wire type) is 32A. At least thats what the insert says, I am no judge of the wire.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

It does bring out the zealots.

Highly entertaining.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (14-02-16),sublib25 (15-02-16)

Thanks

Just need to remember the fuses/rcd/breakers are there to protect the house wiring circuits not what is plugged into them.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sublib25 View Post
    Just need to remember the fuses/rcd/breakers are there to protect the house wiring circuits not what is plugged into them.
    ... and I thought RCDs were there to protect humans accidentally 'plugged' into them, silly me
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-02-16 at 11:09 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (15-02-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Very many years ago after I first moved into this house I had an electric stove fitted and it was 'Hard Wired' in with a 50 amp fuse.
    The stove was nothing special with the usual 4 elements on top (spiral, not solid), a Griller and the Oven.
    Even though this was all new wiring from meter to stove, the electrician advised not to turn everything on at once.
    After replacing three stoves over the next 30 odd years as the elements burnt out because they 'didnt make that type/style' anymore, I went LPG and today the Fuse sits empty (fuse wire removed) and the cable just runs sits under the house.
    Many times over the years I have wondered if it could be converted to a 15 Amp line for those kind of appliances but as the 'real need' never sort of occurred, the idea was put into the 'Round~to~it' file for 'Ron'.
    My concern with using 15 AMP outlet for a 10 AMP devise is if it developed a fault, would it take longer to blow the Fuse and this could be dangerous?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Default 10 amp plug into a 15 amp socket

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    ... and I thought RCDs were there to protect humans accidentally 'plugged' into them, silly me
    Yes I'm wrong again,
    The RCD prevents stray current to earth.
    I believe everything else to be factual.
    Most breakers are rcd combos nowdays.
    Just trying to explain that fuses/ breakers are to protect the house wiring.
    Last edited by sublib25; 15-02-16 at 01:30 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    My concern with using 15 AMP outlet for a 10 AMP devise is if it developed a fault, would it take longer to blow the Fuse and this could be dangerous?
    It all depends on the fault.
    1 single amp of electricity going along the wrong path can cause a fire. Therefore in essence it does not matter if your 10A device is on a 15, 20 or 32A breaker the 'fuse will not blow'.
    On the other hand if we have a short then all three breakers will trip.

My personal view on this is: If it is on an RCD, the likely hood of a fault in an earthed appliance causing it to trip may be higher due to earth leakage before a large fire breaks out .
    In case of an oven that is fully out of metal and can not burn, then any small flames inside should be retarded and assuming the earth connection is not damaged, electrocution unlikely.
    Burning food is a different story especially if it has a grill but before the flames get to the internal wiring it is probably too late for a breaker to trip.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-02-16 at 03:02 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Some really funny responses in this thread.
    Some are total BS too

Simple answer to the OP's question is NO.

Non Simple answer, can go on for a while
    But people should remember, Circuit Breakers are there to protect the house wiring, not whats plugged in to power points etc.
    The OP's description does raise a few questions straight off the bat.

A 32Amp Circuit Breaker controlling a 15Amp SPP.
    If it is a 32Amp breaker, the wiring must be 6mm (not smaller).....
    Thus the whole circuit is rated at 32 Amps, yet the 15Amp pp is not
    So.... are we using the 15Amp pp as a physical current limiting device by way of design?

My guess is it's a combined circuit, that also does some electric hotplates as well as the oven, but i may be wrong.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-02-16 at 07:20 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Tiny (15-02-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

.. double post
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-02-16 at 07:09 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    S
    So.... are we using the 15Amp pp as a physical current limiting device by way of design?
    ...but don't we do the same situation when we have 10A socket outlets on 20A circuits, as found in many domestic installations?

Premium Member
    Thanks

exactly

Thanks

Some are total BS too

But people should remember, Circuit Breakers are there to protect the house wiring, not whats plugged in to power points etc.

My guess is it's a combined circuit, that also does some electric hotplates as well as the oven, but i may be wrong.
    The circuit was installed by a licensed electrician about 10 years ago when the kitchen was installed and I had the board upgraded from ceramic fuses to breakers. It was checked 3 years ago when the board was again upgraded to the current standard when we had solar installed.

It's a dedicated circuit and yes all 10 amp power points are on 20amp breakers.

Thanks

Try posting a network cabling thread in whirlpool, then watch them come out of the woodwork

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mi_tasol View Post
    It was checked 3 years ago when the board was again upgraded to the current standard when we had solar installed.

It's a dedicated circuit and yes all 10 amp power points are on 20amp breakers.
    For new homes, its been 16amp for power circuits for quite a while now, i long while in fact.
    So upgraded to current standard.... Well, upgraded to the existing standard at least

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Some are total BS too

My guess is it's a dedicated "Oven Circuit" with 6mm and a 32A fuse or breaker. But only the OP can confirm it anyway.

It seems to be common now that a 15A Power Outlet is used instead of hard wiring the oven in, like they used to be. Ovens usually/often come with a flex lead and a 15A or 10A plug on the end, but the manual will often give directions for removing the flex and hard wiring if desired.

Premium Member
    Thanks

My guess is it's a dedicated "Oven Circuit" with 6mm and a 32A fuse or breaker. But only the OP can confirm it anyway.
    As he did in Post No. 1

Thanks

My oven 15A outlet has a 32A fuse..
    Your 15 amp power point should have a 16 amp Circuit breaker or fuse as does a 10 amp power point circuit so you would be fine to just plug it in and use it. If your 15 amp power point has a 32 amp fuse then the fuse needs to be replaced with the correct size (I would use a C/Breaker).

I am a Victorian A Grade Electrician and Contractor
    " If there are no dogs in Heaven , then when I die , I want to go where they went . "

Will Rogers

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger351 View Post
    Your 15 amp power point should have a 16 amp Circuit breaker or fuse as does a 10 amp power point circuit so you would be fine to just plug it in and use it. If your 15 amp power point has a 32 amp fuse then the fuse needs to be replaced with the correct size (I would use a C/Breaker).

He would have a seperate Oven and Cooktop combined, hence the one circuit with 32 Amps.Just plug the 10 amp plug in and that should be the end of it. I'm also a licensed electrician.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger351 View Post

Nope, it's a dedicated oven circuit.... it's fine... Edit: OK, oven cooktop combined.... and it's still fine.. :-)
    and I'm not an Electrical Contractor....
    Last edited by bob_m_54; 20-02-16 at 01:59 AM.

• 23-05-20, 07:49 PM

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast