Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bank ATM Card Skimmers

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

At the present time as I get older, one place I could see the usefulness in having an implanted microchip is for Medical reasons.
    Plant it where if it gets damaged, your dead anyway but instead of trying to remember medications and dosages, previous treatments of where and when they were done, a simple scan would bring all this to a monitor at a Doctors Surgery or at a Hospital.
    I see it as a very updated and far more informative means of telling medical staff about the patient than a Medi Alert token can do.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

No argument there, Gordon, wife has a tablet that has a spreadsheet with her medical history on it. Every time she goes to hospital the pharmacist comes down to check it and update the records, most of the staff there wish everybody did it. FWIW; She has the largest medic alert bracelet (actually a neck thing) and it does not cover half of her medical needs. The implanted chip may be a good idea, but, who can update it, and should you be allowed to update it too. It causes all sorts of ethical and legal issues.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Mate of mine was given one (no other option actually) of these newer paywave credit cards, mag stripe on the side etc. His solution was quite simple, and neatly solves all these issues. He drilled a hole straight through the middle of the smart chip. That neatly disabled the pay wave function, and now he or a counter person is forced to swipe his card.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Clay Turner For This Useful Post:

gulliver (04-03-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Turner View Post
    Mate of mine was given one (no other option actually) of these newer paywave credit cards, mag stripe on the side etc. His solution was quite simple, and neatly solves all these issues. He drilled a hole straight through the middle of the smart chip. That neatly disabled the pay wave function, and now he or a counter person is forced to swipe his card.
    I like that idea because I found when I 'misplaced' my ATM card, cancelling a Card does NOT disable the Paywave system as well and with it turned OFF, the replacement card would NOT function.
    All the new card did was allow me to see my account and balance but no withdrawals until it was reactivated for use.

Given the least chance, I could see the Banks adopting a system where only the Paywave option is the only way to use the cards with of course no current maximum of a $100 plus per transaction as it is now.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

I tried to open this thread and got a page full of this message:

PHP Warning: xcache_isset(): XCache var cache was not initialized properly. Check php log for actual reason in ..../includes/class_datastore.php on line 576

Second try was fine.
    For most of my life, I lived a delusion

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Well, they got a couple of the pricks

But then they let them out in into circulation again
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

well we got hit on australia day. They cam in the back door grabbed 3 wallets and 3 phones, by the time we realised and cancelle al the cards and phones they have managed to rack up over 9k in tansactions.
    the problem was that there are multile accounts and cards and it caused some major grief. Pay wave we were told can be used for to $100, but the limit depends on the account holder some banks etc have a $100 limit however as we found out with one of my cards it has a 5k limit per 24 hr period, that scared me to death, lucky they didn't get excited with that card.

So lesson is check to see what your daily limit for pay wave is and set your limit lower.

on the wallet thing bagworld have RFID secure wallets for those that want them

Premium Member

Thanks

All though a bit late to reply to this, I was told by the NAB who I deal with that their Paywave is limited to $100 per Transaction but you can use it to its maximum of a $100 at least 10 Times a Day but I believe others are higher than that.
    It was the general rule you could not spend more than around $1000 PER DAY using the card either at an ATM or through EFTPOS but this seems to vary considerably between Financial Institutions as does the maximum spend of $100 using Paywave.
    By accident I overdrew my 'savings' account by a few dollars one time yet I was told the Card (Debit) was limited to what ever funds were in the account.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12