Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bank ATM Card Skimmers

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Bank ATM Card Skimmers

I have just been notified of Card Skimmers that were in place at out local ATM's this week.
    Some kid lost $1300.

The Bendigo Bank made a personal visit to remove the skimming device on their ATM last Wednesday
    Other Banks have been canceling cards, freezing accounts and notifying account holders via phone call.

Anyone else here fallen victim to this basic means of theft?

I see its out of control in Malaysia.
    I always cover my hand with my other hand when entering a pin number and really try to minimise use of ATM's all together.
    I've always hoped this would help.... But with the ease of Paywave, jeez, who knows what info they get.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 20-02-16 at 09:49 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (20-02-16)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

I must be old, I dont use ATM machines, I always have this weird phobia about how many germs are carried on equipment like that, ive been in town and seen drunks pissing and wiping shit on them ewwwwwww

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I must be old, I dont use ATM machines, I always have this weird phobia about how many germs are carried on equipment like that, ive been in town and seen drunks pissing and wiping shit on them ewwwwwww
    Stop following me then
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

jok11n (21-02-16),Rick (21-02-16),Seymour Butts (29-02-16),Tiny (21-02-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I must be old, I dont use ATM machines
    I am old & haven't used an ATM in over 5 years.

I recently went to a Westpac branch to put funds in my account while on holidays, & was told I could use a smart ATM to do this because there was only one bank teller (is that what they are still called?) & there were 50 000 people in the queue.

Guess it's only a matter of time before counter staff disappear, and there is just an intern at the machines giving advice if you don't know how to use them.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
    I am old & haven't used an ATM in over 5 years.

I recently went to a Westpac branch to put funds in my account while on holidays, & was told I could use a smart ATM to do this because there was only one bank teller (is that what they are still called?) & there were 50 000 people in the queue.

Guess it's only a matter of time before counter staff disappear, and there is just an intern at the machines giving advice if you don't know how to use them.
    Be aware some of the Banks now charge a Fee for 'Over the Counter' services.
    My Wife banks with a Credit Union and has 2 or 3 small attached accounts and the only way to access them is 'Over the Counter' and the bastards charge for that.
    My Son tells me to beat this is to set up the accounts in such a way we can transfer the money from them to her normal account and then either using a 'Tied ATM' or getting Cash out when buying anything (not Credit) these Fees dont apply.
    Another warning is paying a Bill at the Post Office and getting Cash Out costs you a Fee as they regard the Post Office as a Bank and getting Cash Out is an 'Over the Counter' service.
    We pay most of our barcode Bills at the P.O but after getting caught with that Fee, we never get Cash out from there.
    Our ATM cards are Debit Cards only with a Visa Attachment, not Credit Cards.

The only difference between the Banks and the 'Skimmer's' is the Banks do it all the time and legally..........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

I am now forced to have a debit card with PayWave
    I also have another account with the old swipe only EFTPOS card and last time I paid with it at a servo it didn't work.
    The man at the counter said that I paid already !
    It was booked off the debit card while I was taking the EFTPOS card out of my wallet.
    I was holding the wallet at least 20-30 cm away from the terminal. I always thought it was only a few cm for these things to respond
    I learnt my lesson and keep the debit card which I only wanted to use for emergencies now always inside the house.

I wonder how many are paying for other people's shopping and don't notice it.
    ...and skimming a PayWave card/device at 30cm distance must be easy peasy.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 21-02-16 at 02:17 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (21-02-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I am now forced to have a debit card with PayWave
    I also have another account with the old swipe only EFTPOS card and last time I paid with it at a servo it didn't work.
    The man at the counter said that I paid already !
    It was booked off the debit card while I was taking the EFTPOS card out of my wallet.
    I was holding the wallet at least 20-30 cm away from the terminal. I always thought it was only a few cm for these things to respond
    I learnt my lesson and keep the debit card which I only wanted to use for emergencies now always inside the house.

I wonder how many are paying for other people's shopping and don't notice it.
    ...and skimming a PayWave card/device at 30cm distance must be easy peasy.
    Yes I too have been forced a debit card with paywave, I encountered the same thing at my local IGA supermarket, the girl asked how I was going to pay and I replied with debit card, I hadnt even taken my card out of the wallet and she's handing me a receipt saying approved, that was scary, I said dont you need to see ID, she said no, apparently any transaction under $100 on my card doesnt require a pin number or showing ID, hope I never loose my card anyone could have a spending spree with it

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yep, the Pay Wave thing is nuts.
    I really held off on this one, only using Paywave in the last 8 months, but F... Me... How easy is it.
    Talk about no form of ID.
    Its clearly only there to Protect the Banks, and too make us spend more, which i'm sure it does.

Now..... can you imagine a Skimmer that gets your PayWave details???
    How fast is he going to spend your money!
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks

The previous comments are why we keep our cards in a metal container and dont take them out until we are ready to use them.
    I really havent been taking much notice but this explains the 'Check Out Chic' asks how we are going to pay and then taps the face of their register before I stick Card into the reader.

Just think if they can scan your card from the distances you have mentioned, just how far away do think those who have the 'Good gear' to scan your Card be to read it?

This thought occurred to me some time ago when those fake fronts were being used on ATM's is that how can you really tell whats real or fake because each company has their own design and its rare to see 2 of the same Banks side by side so you can compare them.
    In many places there is only one machine available or are several hundred metres apart.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-02-16 at 03:57 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I have a stainless steel wallet.

I also like paywave.

Nothing happens until I take my wallet right up to the terminal & slip the card out.

My paranoia forces me to check all my bank accounts at least twice a day to check what activity has been occurring.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I also like paywave.

Nothing happens until I take my wallet right up to the terminal & slip the card out.

My paranoia forces me to check all my bank accounts at least twice a day to check what activity has been occurring.

I'd be lucky to check mine once in 3 months

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Must be nice to have unlimited Credit or a constant Cash Stream so you dont have to bother checking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Same here, only cause I know I have f&%kall in it

Premium Member
    Thanks

Stainless steel wallet. That must be difficult to bend.

I'm in the market for something similar to shield my cards.
    Where abouts did you get yours from, and how do you rate it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    Stainless steel wallet. That must be difficult to bend.
    No, just like a normal one.

It was a birthday present 2.5 years ago, it was purchased online from Innovations, they no longer have them.

I was after another as the stitching on mine is starting to fray & the metal is breaking from the continual flexing where it bends.

Guess I'll just get a RFID card sleeve when my wallet finally dies.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (22-02-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

If you really want to go 'CHEAP' get the foil from a ciggy packet liner as its 'aluminum' and line where you keep your card.
    I think you will find that SS wallet Antennaman has is NOT rigid but is woven to allow moderate flexibilty.
    A friend and I tested this foil using the reader for those microchips used in animals (they breed Pedigreed Cats) and with the foil between it and the animals neck, the chip could not be read.

According to notice from my Wife's Credit Union, the PayWave can only be used for a single maximum amount of around a $120 BUT it can be used to a Maximum of $1000/$1200 per 24 hours, providing you have that much in the account !!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (22-02-16)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Banks would like to eventually phase out Credit Cards and force us all to use Phones with NFC.
    If you shield your phone you won't have WiFi and bugger all phone reception.

Pretty sure Banks and Governments would also love us all to have microchips in our necks one day, just like animals but long range readable.
    Once you are ID'd they access your bank and deduct what they need. Solves the ID problem for push bike riders too
    ... but perhaps instead they will insert the RFIDs into our cerebral cortex through our noses to avoid people trying to cut them out.
    ... and of course those who won't agree, will be flagged as terrorists.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Banks would like to eventually phase out Credit Cards and force us all to use Phones with NFC.
    If you shield your phone you won't have WiFi and bugger all phone reception.

Pretty sure Banks and Governments would also love us all to have microchips in our necks one day, just like animals but long range readable.
    Once you are ID'd they access your bank and deduct what they need. Solves the ID problem for push bike riders too
    ... but perhaps instead they will insert the RFIDs into our cerebral cortex through our noses to avoid people trying to cut them out.
    ... and of course those who won't agree, will be flagged as terrorists.
    The only problem with this idea is that it just wont work everywhere despite all their claims to the contrary and to implement such a system will take time and MONEY both of which no one wants to expend.

50 years ago making such a suggestion of having such PERSONAL forms of Identification was treated as 'ludicrous and pure Sci Fi Fantasy' but in the next 50, or maybe in as few as 10 years, could it be reality?
    I can think of at least a dozen ideas to promote acceptance of having a Chip imbedded along with 2 dozen reasons against.

Look at the big Bun Fight going on between Apple and the FBI over accessing an Iphone owned by a now dead self proclaimed Terrorist !!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-02-16 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    ... PERSONAL forms of Identification was treated as 'ludicrous and pure Sci Fi Fantasy' but in the next 50, or maybe in as few as 10 years, could it be reality?
    Absolutely!
    Right now all our IDs and cards are in the process of being replaced with "SmartPhone" versions. Your divers's licence, medicare card and of course credit card will be soon a thing of the past. Well I guess a minority still will try to hold onto non-virtual versions as long as they can.
    But what if your smart phone gets stolen and hacked because it has a back door?

Implanting a personal ID is the logical next step and would cost less than you might think.
    Hell yeah I could think of many reasons why I would not want that, just like I don't think too positive about having it all on a smart phone, but your wallet and phone can be stolen(or hacked).
    However, losing or stealing the implanted microchip?
    ... well I leave that up to your fantasy how that could be arranged
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 23-02-16 at 05:55 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Of course, this could also be "The mark of the Beast".
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast