Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: U4 Quad Hybrid Android TV Box Unboxing and Teardown with DVB-T2, DVB-S2 and ATSC Tune

Thanks

oceanboy:
    Satellite signal can be streamed to the home IP network? Maybe over TVHEADEND ?
    He can box protocol CCcam?

Thnx

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otava5 View Post
    oceanboy:
    Satellite signal can be streamed to the home IP network? Maybe over TVHEADEND ?
    He can box protocol CCcam?

Thnx
    Yes
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    The answer is No

And i kind of wonder why you'd want to record an IPTV stream, i'm sure you could find it online to download, even if it were a live sport event.

Personally I don't need the ability, It would be handy for my parents to have an easy way to record/ timeshift a program.

Thanks for checking

Thanks

at OB - my LAN gigabit speed comment is based on ookla speedtests

results I got on the M8 which has 10/100 peaked at 75Mb/s, this could not be exceeded, I tried a number of configurations
    compared with my NUC HTPC build with gigabit LAN - maximum speeds were 100+ Mb/s

same modem, same conditions etc.

I also compared streaming with kodi torrents on both systems, the NUC was able to stream at full speed and rarely dropped out and rarely buffered - you might not consider this scientific enough - I'm not fussed

also I forgot to add - the maximum throughput I could get on my trusty 10/100 PC which ran at 450W or something could also only hit 75Mb/s

(hence why I bought ANOTHER NUC which runs at 19W or something ridiculous for daily PC use )

love them NUCs
    Last edited by JasonC; 23-03-16 at 04:24 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to JasonC For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (23-03-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

All good Jason, sounds like a real world test to me
    I'd say any NUC worth $500 would be a better proposition than a cheapish Android box, in a lot of areas.

Does your NUC do DVB-S2?
    That is the hard thing with a device like the U4, it is trying to wear so many hats at once!
    And for a reasonable price.

Something has to give at some point.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Hi OB, I'm not into satellite stuff only IPTV so I'm not expert but I'd suggest no

I'm sure the U4 is great for what you want, its sounds very versatile - I'm just a kodi guy, I wasn't trying to crap on your thread

Premium Member
    Thanks

Not at all mate.... Its all useful info.
    Touch off topic, but i still think a MacMini or NUC is the Top Choice for IPTV and Kodi, it is just far more versatile and adaptable for different formats and streams.
    The issue with a lot of Android Boxes, is CPU manufacturers will not give access to third party firmware engineers so they can address problems.
    This doesn't seem to happen in the Mac/PC world.

The U4 Quad will not be the best product out there, and there will be products that come along and surpass it in time.
    But, as most Austech member are a fairly price conscience bunch, i thought it was worth testing.

So far, for its infancy in the market place and price point, i think its hard to beat.
    Only continued development will show how far it shines into the future.

I haven't had time to really dedicate myself to learning everything about the U4, i haven't even read the User Manual
    Now that a few more members have the box, hopefully we will get some newer advise/suggestion on how to best use it.
    Seems everyone uses one for a slightly different reason anyway.

Dam, i might even load a game on it

EDIT: I do learn something different about it each day, there are more menus hidden when you are on certain screens etc
    It really is quite comprehensive ... or as simple as you want
    Last edited by ol' boy; 23-03-16 at 09:30 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (23-03-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Oceanboy, your time and commitment with researching and posting up this comprehensive review, is an incredible job and worth thanking many times over.

You sold me over a week ago. It's now been a long 7 days, waiting very impatiently for mine to arrive.

Hoping it arrives before Easter.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

admin (25-03-16),ol' boy (23-03-16)

Thanks

I also have to replace your old dm800hd clone ?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Ok, finally got mine today just in time for Easter. Took 14 days for delivery if you choose China Post like I did.
    As Oceanboy has so well already said, this is one impressive piece of kit.

It scanned all terrestrial channels with ease.
    I connected it to Intelsat 18 to see what it could do with the high symbol rate channels in mpeg4 and they all came in perfectly.
    Unfortunately most are encrypted but France 24 is very clear (unlike my dodgy attached photo)

Mine also came with a proper Aus plug unlike oceanboy's that came with a euro plug.

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

Bobby Slogger (24-03-16),dizzdizzy (24-03-16),Guiseppe (25-03-16),ol' boy (24-03-16),OSIRUS (24-03-16),william10 (24-03-16),Xplorer (24-03-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnjoo815 View Post
    Hi guys.

here is link of manual for U4 Quad Hybrid.

I think it is official forum for U4 Quad Hybrid.
    As pointed out in Post #21

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    Unfortunately most are encrypted but France 24 is very clear (unlike my dodgy attached photo)
    You can take Screenshots at anytime using the Remote Control, just press the function key
    (once you have selected it in main settings menu)
    The screenshot will be saved to any attached storage device

Yes, i did the same as you a lot of the time, just snapped a pic of the TV

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

admin (25-03-16),jimbo123 (25-03-16),mandc (25-03-16),OSIRUS (25-03-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    Oceanboy, your time and commitment with researching and posting up this comprehensive review, is an incredible job and worth thanking many times over.

You sold me over a week ago. It's now been a long 7 days, waiting very impatiently for mine to arrive.

Hoping it arrives before Easter.
    Its amazing how doing the right thing can pay off for a company.

They asked and got permission for a thread. An Austech member takes the time to put together a good solid comprehensive review, members buy product, everyones happy, thread has 5000+ views already and no doubt sales as well.

It could have just been a spam the crap out of Austech and get banned situation with nothing gained by anyone. I hope companies, particularly Asian based, take note of how things can be done. I wont bother thanking Oceanboy for his review again ( I already did), he probably has bruising from the back slapping

A good heads up on how to take screenshots too, it will make it much easier for many.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

billy t (31-03-16),Bobby Slogger (25-03-16),Guiseppe (25-03-16),LeroyPatrol (25-03-16),mandc (25-03-16),ol' boy (25-03-16),OSIRUS (25-03-16),Xplorer (15-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, well said admin.

What is also nice, is we are dealing with the manufacturer, not just some third party re-seller that wants to just flood as many forums/websites as they can in hope for quick sales and no support.
    These guys are actually listening to us, and standing by their product with further development.

I actually can not remember when this has happened on Austech before.

They are even interested in our Local Australian conditions (DVB Stream content and stream standards)
    So they can improve the box to work in our region.
    (600mb Stream samples have been sent for them to examine the .ts stream for its content, time stamping and EPG)

So far, it has been a friendly 2 way street of End User meets Manufacturer, and Austech has been the portal for that communication.

As you say, it would be good if other Product Manufacturers (Asian or elsewhere) took this approach
    Last edited by ol' boy; 25-03-16 at 12:03 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (25-03-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Yes, good point on the listening. It makes a big difference when you can perhaps point out an issue and have it fixed with a firmware review.

Looking forward to getting one of these

Thanks

on the satellite side of this box; is there an option to enter Biss or Powervu keys?..many thanks

Thanks

I have personally thanked Admin and Oceanboy but want to make it to everyone who joined the thread. Without the help of all of you, we could not progress to where we are. Thank you for all who helped to make the product better and our company better to allow us come up with continuous support and new products.

Reaching 5000+ hits could bring us to the hottest thread of the forum for the year I hope and Oceanboy deserves a trophy for that!

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Its amazing how doing the right thing can pay off for a company.

They asked and got permission for a thread. An Austech member takes the time to put together a good solid comprehensive review, members buy product, everyones happy, thread has 5000+ views already and no doubt sales as well.

It could have just been a spam the crap out of Austech and get banned situation with nothing gained by anyone. I hope companies, particularly Asian based, take note of how things can be done. I wont bother thanking Oceanboy for his review again ( I already did), he probably has bruising from the back slapping

A good heads up on how to take screenshots too, it will make it much easier for many.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dizzdizzy For This Useful Post:

mandc (25-03-16),ol' boy (25-03-16),OSIRUS (25-03-16)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

2gb ddr3 would be nice!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

It's been mentioned earlier, but a CAM slot would round this box off nicely.

Wouldn't need a separate decoder for VAST then.

Thanks

I think the only thing this box doesn't do is improve the internet connection speed.

I played around with it for a few minutes at the in-laws and it picked up the desired IPTV channels with no issue. Will try and customise it a bit more but it certainly packs a punch in features when compared to the M8....

• Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast