Thread: Linux Mint Website Hacked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Default Linux Mint Website Hacked

I did a search and couldn't find it already posted but I may have missed it somewhere.
    Linux Mint website was hacked in January and forum member details were stolen from the site, then a couple of days ago the site was again hacked and links to their Mint iso downloads were altered to point to altered isos containing a back door.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

tristen (24-02-16)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

That is positively scary. Considering that most Linux users seem to think that they are invulnerable.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hmmm this is the first I've heard of it

Might have to put off downloading any upgrade for my Mint 17 installation until this gets sorted out not that I use Linux for security reasons, I just like it more than MS products.

Thanks

Yeah, it was a website hack, not so much a Linux OS hack, and they said they have secured their site again. As long as you check the link is actually pointing to their site, and check the MD5 checksum against the reported number on their site, it should be OK. The site is available again now.

Really surprised this wasn't picked up by a forum member a couple of days ago when the news hit.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Odd why anybody would bother to do an attack on a Linux distro. Seeing there are so many distros around it is impossible to do any widespread damage.
    I always thought these attacks were against the establishment, who would bother to annoy the few geeks that use Linux?

Perhaps a real Linux hater or got pissed off that the latest Mint distro didn't include their favourite app
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Perhaps a real Linux hater or got pissed off that the latest Mint distro didn't include their favourite app
    *It was probably someone sick of reading how fantastic, unhackable and superior Linux is to Windows and decided to make a point
    Chances are the server was also running on Linux

*I have nothing against Linux, but boy, does it get boring when people post windows problems and get replies to replace their entire operating system with Linux.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (24-02-16),tristen (24-02-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Odd why anybody would bother to do an attack on a Linux distro. Seeing there are so many distros around it is impossible to do any widespread damage.
    I always thought these attacks were against the establishment, who would bother to annoy the few geeks that use Linux?

Yeah, I'd be more worried about the forum user database they scored on two occasions, that includes email addresses and hashed passwords. The passwords can be decrypted, not sure how easy, but it seems it's not that hard. And for people that use the same password on many different sites this could be a problem. But there have been many cases of user databases being downloaded from many other sites as well, so in the scheme of things???