Thread: STB RF Pass through attenuation problem.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default STB RF Pass through attenuation problem.

I recently bought 2 TOPFIELD TBF-200HD set top boxes so I can receive MPEG 4 on the TV's that cant receive the signal.
    It wasnt until a little after installing them I found both seem to be losing the signal when their on Standby.
    I changed the cables, swapped them over but basically with the same result unless I totally unplugged the cable and joined it together.
    I know I am in a VERY marginal signal area but the STRONG STB I have had for some time, doesnt cause any signal loss when on Standby as these 2 Topfields seem to be doing no matter what TV it is connected to.
    In a way this isnt a major problem as I can use the STB to change channels etc and just leave the TV's on AV/HDMI what ever but its annoying.
    I havent delved into it yet but the TopField R/C seems to cause the TV to display odd things when its operated.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

This is normal, Gordon.

Many boxes lose RF out when turned off/on standby.

As they use amplification to compensate for signal loss, that also consumes power, which (as part of the circuit) is turned off when on standby.

It's the same principle as a masthead amp.... having the amp in circuit with no power applied blocks signal.

I've never liked using loop through as a lot of devices can introduce noise, which is detrimental to digital signals.

The solution is to have the box turned on when you need the RF loop, or for independent use, a splitter is the way to go if you have enough signal.

If the signals are that marginal that they can't cope with a 2-way split, they are too low to begin with and require a low-noise amp to compensate.... which will require a small amount of power to operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (27-02-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

As usual, Thank you MTV,
    My signal isnt low, its buried..............
    As I had no troubles with the Strong, it never occurred to me than another make might not be quite as good which is why when I saw the Topfield ones as they a 'Known Brand' I bought them.
    This is the worse part of being 'regional' is the lack of choice as I bought these at the local HN store and they only had 4 of them and werent intersted in trying to get any other Brands in.
    As I said, I can leave the STB as is and not use the TV tuner or do as you suggest which annoys me because I didnt want to buy them in the first place.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    ...Many boxes lose RF out when turned off/on standby...
    Digital STBs are subject to MEPS and the Tier 2 requirements specify a <1 Watt standby (from memory); so no RF loop through when in standby mode.
    Have to agree with MTV, I always hated RF loop through as it gave me no end of grief back in the days when I was on the road full time.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov