Thread: A box with remote recording function?

Thanks

Default A box with remote recording/scheduling function, via wifi or internet?

Hi, Im using a Healing HHS242 cheapo box right now.
    Id really like something that can allow me to remotely schedule recordings via my PC though, via my local network or even the internet.

I noticed the Wetek Play, an android box, looks interesting but didnt specifically mention the ability to remote record.

So can anyone recommend something that can do remote recording? I only need a single tuner and Id like it to be under $300 if possible.
    Last edited by Chargin; 27-02-16 at 05:33 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Basically you will need something that has a built in HDD or allows either ia portable HDD or a Memory stick to plug in for recording which is how STB for VAST and Terrestrial Digital TV work.
    Failing that, this is where the now almost defunct VCR's were ideal as you could set the decoder/stb to what ever signal you wanted to record to and set the VCR to do the Time recording.
    I have a several years old HDD/DVD burner/player connected to a VAST and Foxtel STB via the AV connections and use it either as a Record NOW or set the timer.
    I am sure Leroy and the others will be able to advise you what is suitable for your needs and the current price.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

LOL sorry if I wasnt crystal clear.

"REMOTE RECORD" to me anyway, means to be able to schedule a recording via another device via a local network or the internet.
    Perhaps I should have said "REMOTE SCHEDULING"?

All the boxes I have or have had, had the ability to RECORD, via USB or similar, but I want to be able to setup that recording via my PC, as the interface to do that is a lot easier. The Healing box I mentioned has a USB stick in it already...

(Ill see if I can change the posts title, to put schedule in there)

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Basically you will need something that has a built in HDD or allows either ia portable HDD or a Memory stick to plug in for recording which is how STB for VAST and Terrestrial Digital TV work.
    Failing that, this is where the now almost defunct VCR's were ideal as you could set the decoder/stb to what ever signal you wanted to record to and set the VCR to do the Time recording.
    I have a several years old HDD/DVD burner/player connected to a VAST and Foxtel STB via the AV connections and use it either as a Record NOW or set the timer.
    I am sure Leroy and the others will be able to advise you what is suitable for your needs and the current price.

Premium Member

Thanks

Ok, so what you want is to do is use the STB set on a 'channel', connect that to your Computer/network whatever, and then have the computer act as a recorder, correct?
    I know you can connect AV to a computer from a devise but I am not sure if the programming would have a Timer arrangement or not.
    There are devises on the market intended for those with VCR's that want to record them onto DVD's so that part isnt difficult to do.
    I dont know if there are any Satellite Decoders on the market that would allow you to connect them to a Computer for it to turn the STB on at a specific time but you never know.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

He wants to be able to connect to and program his box remotely... via network or internet.

Using the the box and whatever storage he has connected to it, but not being there in person... to use the box remotely.

Thanks

Yes, its not an unheard of feature I thought?
    My Foxtel box works this way and I used to have an HTPC with 4 tuners that I could schedule via software called "Web scheduler" which was great.

Premium Member

Thanks

Very slow on the uptake with some of these new fangled gadgetry options and I still in the dark ages thought you were just wanting to record via a timer system, not being at that fantastic place called 'Elsewhere' where you could do an ET and 'Call Home' and 'Do Things' off the SMART phone.
    Now its permeated my little 'Grey Cells' what you want, I have seen on very upmarket 'Reno's where they seem to have more money than a Pay Day Loan shark installing a system that turns on the lights, stove , A/C etc etc etc both at 'Home and Away'.
    I am surprised though that Leroy hasnt popped up with something as he and other members are usually well informed with current technology.

Thanks

If you had a ultraplus or xcruiser unit you can use air tivi+ app for pc or android/iPhone but to use over inet you would need to setup dynamic dns to get it to work

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to soulfear For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (12-03-16)