Thread: Chinasat 6b and Asiasat 7

Thanks

Default Chinasat 6b and Asiasat 7

I'm looking to install a 2.3m dish with an additional LNB strapped on so I can pick up both Chinasat 6b and Asiasat 7 (only about 10 degrees apart). My question is which satellite should I point the main LNB at? Perhaps if somebody has done this they could post a photo.
    Thanks

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You'd be better off motorising the dish.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I agree with mtv that you would be better off to motorise your dish.

As to which satellite to point the main LNB to? That's obviously the one with the weaker signal/desired transponder, as using two LNB's is very much a compromise solution, and as such, the signal from either satellite will not be optimum.

Taking into account the size of a C-band LNB c/w scalar ring assembly as well as its weight, mounting might prove a little "challenging", but for ten degrees it might be achievable. In this case, as also in others, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

A DiSEqC or 22 KHz switch will be required for switching between LNB's.

Motorisation is a far more practical solution.

Do the job properly at the outset is my motto....and it never fails.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

There was a thread back in 2010 along similar lines (AS5 and AS3);

Unfortunately, many of the links provided by the participants seem to be no longer active.....looked like they had some good info in them.

The OP was successful in the end (see Post #22.)....but bear in mind that the two birds he was looking for were only 5 degrees apart.
    Again, unfortunately, his photos of the successful installation are no longer accessible.

Worth noting that the beamwidth of a 2.3m mesh dish is around 2 degrees.......looking for two birds 10 degrees apart might be stretching things a bit?

Not sure if you have a spare dish, or are about to buy one but, for what it's worth, I think most new dishes come complete with a polar mount (I know the Phoenix do), so all you should need to buy extra is the actuator and control box.

These are very cheap....I recently bought one of each for 'ron from here:

I bought the 24" QARL Heavy Duty actuator ......if you lean on them they will price match their Qld affiliate ($75) who, when contacted said he doesn't sell them and referred me to Perth....go figure??

They are selling the controller for $45....and you can get the two items sent out for $20 postage.
    And, of course, you'll need the appropriate length of controller cable.

By the time you have bought a C-band LNB and a Diseqc switch for the fixed installation there's not exactly a lot of difference......and you have a system with the flexibility to watch whatever is up there.

My vote is with MTV and Tristen......go motorised.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 08-03-16 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

I haven't checked them out, but it's worth trying the dead/old links in the Web Archive () Wayback Machine. Just enter the urls into the box. Maybe there's something archived.

Thanks

My dish moves a fair distance from AS7 to CS6,B so I'm with the others, 10 degrees may be a degree too far. Unless of course you have some mother of a dish that covers the whole backyard.
    2.3 M Phoenix C-Band dish, Star C-Band LNBF, 24" Actuator, Phoenix V-box, Strong 4930L decoder & ex-foxtel KU-Band dish, Sharp twin LNBF

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsat
    Unless of course you have some mother of a dish that covers the whole backyard.
    First sentence of the OP's post.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_strewth View Post
    I'm looking to install a 2.3m dish...

Thanks

I do dad jokes that shouldn't be taken too literal.
    2.3 M Phoenix C-Band dish, Star C-Band LNBF, 24" Actuator, Phoenix V-box, Strong 4930L decoder & ex-foxtel KU-Band dish, Sharp twin LNBF

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr_strewth View Post
    I'm looking to install a 2.3m dish with an additional LNB strapped on so I can pick up both Chinasat 6b and Asiasat 7 (only about 10 degrees apart). My question is which satellite should I point the main LNB at? Perhaps if somebody has done this they could post a photo.
    Thanks
    On a 2.3 you should be able to manage up to 4 LNBF's, Asiasat 5, 100.5 to Chinasat 6A.. 125° East. Asiasat 7 and 6B included. Chinasat 6A has 4 HD FTA channels but you'd need an AVS+ Receiver. If you can get a cc account from China it'll open all the 高清 on this satellite + many more on 6B..

For an Asia 7 + 6B setup you align and fix the dish to the weakest of the two being Asia 7 and set the Chinasat 6b LNBF below and to the right of Asia7. Measuring from the LNB centers the LNB's are about 20cm apart on a 2.3, I actually got it going on a 1.8.. on a smaller dish the LNB's are closer, cutting part of the feedhorn is required. On a 2.3 you shouldn't need to cut the feed horns unless you try to squeeze in Palapa D.

Remember the 2nd LNB is always on the opposite side (mirror position) of where the satellite is.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (14-03-16),Mattsat (15-03-16),silverbak (26-03-16),Thala Dan (14-03-16)

Thanks

Thank you everybody for your input and advice. I did try and fix a second LNB onto the side but the signal wasn't too good. I have now gone for the motor option which now gives me the 2 satellites I needed and a few more!

Thanks again

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Wise decision!

It gives you more possibilities without the hassles and uncertainty of your original proposal.

Thanks

The other way is point the dish at Chinasat 10 which is at 110.5E then two lnbf off the sides