Thread: AC/DC Singer Told To Stop Touring Or Face 'Total Hearing Loss'

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Default AC/DC Singer Told To Stop Touring Or Face 'Total Hearing Loss'

Is This The End Of Aussie Rock Band AC/DC?

Maybe just turn down the volume?

AC/DC has postponed the rest of its U.S. tour because doctors advised singer Brian Johnson "to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss."

The band said in a statement that the 10 postponed dates, which run from March 8 in Atlanta to April 4 in New York, would be made up later in the year, "likely with a guest vocalist."

Fans can either save their tickets for one of the future shows or turn them in for a refund.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band also had tour dates scheduled in Europe starting on May 7, but those concerts have not yet been postponed.

The news is the latest of many setbacks for the band.

In 2014, founding member and rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young retired after being diagnosed with dementia. He is reportedly living in a care facility in Australia.

That same year, longtime drummer Phil Rudd was arrested and accused in a murder plot. He later pleaded guilty to making threats and drug charges, and is no longer part of the band.

AC/DC was formed in Australia in 1973 by Scotland-born brothers Malcolm and Angus Young. Vocalist Bon Scott joined the following year along with drummer Rudd and bass player Mark Evans, forming the lineup that would record many of the group's earliest hits.

Evans was replaced by bassist Cliff Williams in 1977, and Johnson joined in 1980 after the death of Scott. Johnson's first album with the band, "Back in Black," remains the group's best-selling record and one of the top-selling albums of all time.

The band also has a reputation as one of the loudest in the world. Guitar company Gibson said AC/DC's "Back in Black" tour reached 130 decibels, leading to complaints from promoters. According to Purdue, that's the volume of a military jet with an afterburner taking off of an aircraft carrier from just 50 feet away, and beyond the 120-decibel pain threshold.

While the band's concerts are no longer quite that loud, they remain known for volume, even using cannons on stage for the song "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)."

If Johnson doesn't perform again, his final show with the band will have been on Feb. 28 in Kansas City

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Is This The End Of Aussie Rock Band AC/DC?
    I thought it already ended when Bon Scott died
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

admin (10-03-16),enf (09-03-16),shred (09-03-16),Tiny (09-03-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I thought it already ended when Bon Scott died
    So did I until Back in Black came out. They were a little different, that's all. Still the same hard hitting Vanda and Young derivative.

Brian Johnson was the perfect choice in my view. They were now an international act, and the Australian connection was thinner.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

It's the nature of bands to change their line up and evolve, as they have done through the ages. Whether it will work for them is the big question that only time will tell. It didn't for INXS,

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Jimmy Barnes 'fronted for AC/DC and then was replaced by Brian Johnson which didnt seem to cause much of a hiccup but what will be a loss is one of the Bands founder Brothers reportedly suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

would be an ideal replacement imo...

• The Following User Says Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (10-03-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

All he need do is wear specially designed hearing protection..........
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

apparently the hearing damage came from................race cars, ie. driving race cars without ear plugs not music
    no joke

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Noise cancelling hearing aids that filter only what he needs to hear would be perhaps a solution in both cases.
    They have to be moulded to cover most of the ear but long hair could cover the embarrassment.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    So did I until Back in Black came out. They were a little different, that's all. Still the same hard hitting Vanda and Young derivative.

Brian Johnson was the perfect choice in my view. They were now an international act, and the Australian connection was thinner.
    I hate ACDC in general. And I love rock music.

While Back In Black was a great album, everything since has been a gradual slide downhill. I can remember buying Flick of the switch and thinking it was shit, and can remember the same with Fly on the wall.

ACDC died with Bon Scott. Its interesting to see on Back in Blacks songwriting credits include Brian Johnstone. Many people claim Scott had a big hand in them.

They have been nothing but a corporate brand producing garbage for a very long time. Now all I need is for Jimmy Barnes to suffer the same and I will be happy. He and Johnstone should have given up long long ago.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

Honestly, I never really listened after Back In Black. It was more curiosity to see what Johnson was like and I liked it. Having seen AC/DC a few times in the 70s, especially as support for Black Sabbath, I had moved on.

I'd also seen Johnson before as front man for Geordie...they toured Australia with Deep Purple and Manfred Mann.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Lets hope they get someone who actually sings like Bon Scott...