Thread: ADSL in Cairns...

Thanks

Default ADSL in Cairns...

ok, i'm up in city view for thoses who live in cairns... it been bugging me for while... just checking if it just me or everyone...

i'm on a 8mbit with internode, however only connecting at 2 - 3mbit... from my area... just woundering if any1 else is on a 8mbit connection with who ever and is acually connecting at 8mbit?

Spec...

Core 2 Quad Q9550
    4GB DDR3
    750gb
    dlink 200 / 502t

Look Here ->
    Thanks

There's nothing out of the ordinary about that sync rate. The connection speed will be drastically affected by your distance from the exchange, the quality of the wiring in your house, the other devices (phones faxes etc) and the type of adsl filter used.
    You can try doing a

Look in your modem for attenuation and post what you have, as this gives us an idea of the amount of interference which is occurring.

You can try upgrading your modem/routers firmware and playing around with the modulation modes.

Anyway, im not in cairns so my speeds are irrelevant, but i have adsl 2+ and i have only ever been able to connect using ADSL modulation - although i get 7k down and 1k up, which is nice after 1.5mb, so i haven't got around to investigating it...

Cheers, RHCP.

Edit: Just did a quick 1 minute search and discovered that my ISP uses modem profiles - ie my connection mode is set by them....which would explain why i can only connect using ADSL D.gmt. Now that i think about it, it's quite obvious lol.
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Thanks

test on 502t

ADSL Firmware Version: 4.03.03.00 - 3.02.00.03 - 3.02.06.00 Annex A - 01.07.02 - 0.49
    ADSL Software Version: V2.00B06.AU_20060808
    Line State Connected
    Modulation G.dmt
    Annex Mode ANNEX_A
    Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz
    SNR Margin 5 dB 7 dB
    Line Attenuation 41 dB 19 dB
    Data Rate 3232kbps 2024 kbps

dlink 200
    well what more can you say? best modem for dls

i'm about 3km from exchange area, cant get adsl2 yet =/

Thanks

That line attenuation sounds about right for 3km - a rough figure is 13 db of loss /Km.

The first link is good as it has both distance and attenuation, and the last one is specific for the connection method your using.

I believe these graphs show the maximum or theoretical speeds attainable, so in the real world i would subtract about 20%; the sync rates then begin to approach what you are achieving.

Cheers, RHCP.
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.