Thread: Nuvi 2557

Thanks

Default Nuvi 2557

Hi. I have just bought a micro sd card from Garmin, of a map of the UK and Europe.
    Settings - Map and vehicle- my maps -- only shows resident maps of Australia. Did a 10 second reset and tried again. No map.
    All new to me so please explain gently.
    Thank you.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Have a close look at the startup screen when you switch the GPS on, it should show that the UK & Europe map is loading with a copy-write notice in small print.

Not having used or purchased foreign maps, I can't say for certain whether they should show up in the Maps list or not, although I would think they should.

Now from what I've read they should be there & selectable & you should be able to preview them in Trip Planning Mode.

Other possibility is the card is damaged/faulty, you can test for this by putting it in a card reader plugged into your PC & see if the card is recognised & view files / folders etc on card.
    If you have (free program download - click on the link to view details); it will read the card & preview the maps for you which will also confirm whether the card is faulty or not.
    BaseCamp can take some time to load large maps from Micro SDCard & GPS, so be patient.
    Yes the GPS can be used as the card reader.
    With BaseCamp you can also do trip planning & load routes to your Nuvi providing the Maps are working.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Tasman (10-03-16)

Thanks

Thanks Tiny. I couldn't reply sooner, but the problem is solved. There were updates for the 2557 on Garmin Express, one being the maps which would take almost four hours to download so I selected a small file update and when I switched the Nuvi back on, I noticed the date had changed to 2016. Settings- map and vehicle-my maps and it was there ticked. So, ready to go back on holiday after 44 years!! Cheers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tasman For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-03-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Wow that's the first time I've heard of , it usually frustrates the hell out of people (me) & causes problems, I've stopped using it & now use the old Garmin Webupdater & Garmin MapUpdater instead much faster & reliable.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Tasman (10-03-16)

Thanks

Hi and thanks. UK maps disappeared two days later. Contacted Garmin by phone, and after some downloads of including Basecamp, they concluded that the Nuvi 2577 was faulty. Re-inserted the SD card into my other device -Nuvi2589 - and the map appeared. So seems 2557 faulty but cannot be repaired. For anyone else having problems, and like me, ignorant of what is required, buy a SD card/USB reader, and if the files are shown on your computer, then your GPS is faulty. Of course, the 2557 was out of warranty period!
    Thanks.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tasman For This Useful Post:

Tiny (20-03-16)

• 31-05-16, 09:04 AM

Thanks

Neighbour has a Nuvi 2557 which will not locate as can not find satellites. Does any one have any suggestions. I have check setting including making sure Simulator Mode is turned off.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Factory hard reset may help; or may not help if its hardware related.

Hard Reset warnings:
    * Note that this procedure has been known to delete your favorites so back them up beforehand: From the nuvi drive, copy x:/Garmin/GPX/current.gpx to your backup location. After the hard reset, copy current.gpx back to the same folder on the nuvi but rename it temp.gpx (important). On the next power cycle, the favorites will be read from temp.gpx into the non-user accessible memory area on the nuvi where they are actually stored (current.gpx is only a shadowed backup of your favorites)
    * Note that this procedure will clear all user selected settings under Tools>Settings like map view mode, navigational settings, selected vehicle, selected voice, etc. These settings will need to be re-configured afterwards. It will also clear out your Recent Finds so make sure you save these as favorites or archive them in another way. Maps, vehicles, voices and user-loaded custom POI's stored on the unit will not be disturbed.
    Hard Reset Procedure: (All except the 8x0/8x5/37xx series units):
    1. Power the unit off.
    2. Press and hold (and continue to hold) the bottom-right corner of the screen while powering the unit on.
    3. Continue to hold the screen until the "Do you want to erase all user data?" prompt appears.
    4. Press "yes" and the unit will reboot.

Reset all your location settings and user preferences. Also restore your favorites using the method outlined at the beginning of this post.
    Last edited by Tiny; 04-04-18 at 07:25 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Thanks Tiny, will try tomorrow and let you know results.
    Cheers
    Rikfergy

Thanks

Hi Tiny, My apologies for delay in replying. Tried several times but it looks like it must be a hardware problem.
    Thankyou for the information.

Cheers
    Rikfergy

• The Following User Says Thank You to rikfergy For This Useful Post:

Tiny (12-04-18)

Thanks

@tazman you had the lifetime map on your Nuvi 2557?