Thread: Inverter Problem

Thanks

Default Inverter Problem

I was after an inverter for my caravan. I only want it mainly to run lights and my satellite tv, so 300 watts is plenty.

Now a function of inverters that I don't like is their self consumption when powered up but not being used.
    On average a 300 watt uses about half an amp.

I did find however a great unit from a USA company called SureSine. It is a 300 watt pure sine that goes to sleep when no AC load under 8 watts is detected.
    Perfect, just what I need. In sleep mode it uses about 25 milliamps, which means I can leave it on all night when in bed and still have lights available.

So I ordered one from the USA. They are available in US voltage and AU voltage.

However, when I set it all up it will not go into sleep mode. It has a small switch to select either "always on" or "sleep mode" With switch in either position it is always on.

I sent the company an email and I must say, I have never come across better customer service, never.
    After trying a few things that they suggested with no result a new one was freighted to me.
    This one also has a problem. It goes into sleep mode when first powered up.
    When a light is turned on it takes a few milliseconds for the light to illuminate and the LED light on the inverter goes from flashing to steady, indicating that it is now in on mode.
    When I remove the load it does not go back to stand by.

So I emailed them again and guess what, another one was sent which arrived today. After a quick check it is the same as the first one. Will not go at all to standby.

The first one fitted to my caravan was wired by the book, except I have not yet sorted the earth, but this should not have any effect on operation, just safety.
    The second and third were just bench tested. The 12 volt supply being much smaller than specified but as this was for testing only I can't see how this would matter,
    as I set it up close to a battery with just 250mm long cables and only a 50 watt load.

I can't believe that three could be faulty, especially the same fault. These are I believe a quality item, not Chinese ebay junk

So am I missing something here? Here is a link to the unit. If anyone here has time to browse the instruction book to see if you have any ideas this would be much appreciated.

Dave.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

That's weird, Morningstar are a well known manufacturer of quality products.
    I have a Morningstar 12v regulator in my caravan which originally was in my house system.
    It works perfectly after 15 years.

When you say it wont go to sleep, is there anything connected to it that has a standby load? eg; Satellite Decoder.(Sat decoders still supply the LNBf with power even in standby.)

If nothing at all is connected then the Standby current sense of the Inverter is too sensitive.
    As it's not adjustable you can't change it other than on or off.

I notice it has an option for a remote switch which you could use as a workaround for your setup.

Just wire in a switch & turn it off when you don't want it to power up.

I have 2 Australian made inverters (Latronics & Selectronics) of the large variety in my house system that have adjustable standby load sensing, they work fine although I very rarely have no load on them.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Did you install the jumper?
    There might be a few minutes delay before it goes to standby mode, although I didn't notice it in the PDF but only have time to read it 'diagonally'
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...