Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Donald Trump

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I'm not optimistic about the Democrats, particularly if Biden gives way to Harris. But, we need to give them the fair go they denied Trump in 2016. There are some hopeful signs, in particular the possibility that they have woken up to China. Let's hope that they can keep the good things Trump did during his Presidency and avoid a hard turn to the extreme left. The US is pretty well divided 50/50 politically. The Republicans basically ignored and taunted the progressive half for 4 years, admittedly not without some cause. Let's hope that the Democrats don't continue to dismiss the half of the voters who supported Trump as deplorables and do try to address some of their pressing concerns. Whilst both sides continue to regard a razor thin win as an overwhelming mandate to ignore the other side I do fear for the future of US Democracy.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    The US is stuffed....
    It wasn't stuffed before Trump, people only think it was because of Trump's brainwashing BS over the past 4 years.
    In reality it was Obama who turned around the economy, not Trump. Trump took over a strong economy with a lot of momentum that flowed over into his legislation period without any of his doing but took credit for it.

I have some confidence that Biden and Pence can work together and lead a centrist government to fix things again.
    It's the only way and to me it looks like both of them know that.

Harris is a shadow figure. That's looney Trump talk again, if anybody thinks she will take over.
    Biden is the president elect, it is time for some to grasp that.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 13-01-21 at 08:49 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

tristen (14-01-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    It wasn't stuffed before Trump, people only think it was because of Trump's brainwashing BS over the past 4 years.
    In reality it was Obama who turned around the economy, not Trump. Trump took over a strong economy with a lot of momentum that flowed over into his legislation period without any of his doing but took credit for it.

I have some confidence that Biden and Pence can work together and lead a centrist government to fix things again.
    It's the only way and to me it looks like both of them know that.

Harris is a shadow figure. That's looney Trump talk again, if anybody thinks she will take over.
    Biden is the president elect, it is time for some to grasp that.
    I've got to call bullshit here. Obama did do some good things but was a disaster in many respects. It's about time that those Trump haters acknowledge Trump's achievements and stop pretending that he did nothing at all worthwhile. I hope you are correct about a centrist government, but don't share your confidence. I expect that there will be significant internal pressure on Biden to shift to the left, which I hope he resists. You are unfortunately sadly deluded to describe as looney concerns that Harris may ultimately be called upon to take over. Biden's age, his health and his frequent senior moments are fact, and the risk can hardly be rationally dismissed as negligible and ignored. I certainly wish Biden good health, and if I was a religious man I would pray for it, especially so given the alternative.
    Last edited by DB44; 14-01-21 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks

The US is not the world. There are far bigger dangers than Trump or no Trump IMO. By obsessing with him, you give the rest a free pass.
    You've missed the point, if he should get back in, his antics and irrational behaviour will cause those who should be watching the rest to take their eye off the ball and as you say give the rest a free pass. We need a stable US to avoid the distractions so that the ratbags can be monitored effectively.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    You've missed the point, if he should get back in, his antics and irrational behaviour will cause those who should be watching the rest to take their eye off the ball and as you say give the rest a free pass. We need a stable US to avoid the distractions so that the ratbags can be monitored effectively.
    No, YOU'VE missed the point. He was and largely IS irrelevant. The US is divided politically, and will remain so. Therefore nothing much will get done. All this blather about a centrist government that will accomplish great things is just wishful bullsh!t in my view. This is the entrenched US political swamp we are talking about. Trump stupidly kicked them in public and they kicked back harder. This acrimonious pursuit of him is proving that point.

For a government to be useful, they have to unite a larger section of the population than 50.1%. Impeaching his sad sorry arse will do nothing to achieve that, and the sort of censorship that is already occurring will only advance and convince more and more people that their government can't be trusted....

I will be interested to see these "rallies" if they occur...I'm keen to see if they violently loot property and burn whole city blocks to the ground like the democrat supporters did when Trump got elected.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

I will be interested to see these "rallies" if they occur...I'm keen to see if they violently loot property and burn whole city blocks to the ground like the democrat supporters did when Trump got elected.
    Bit of spin there, yes there was a small amount of property damage but........
    The protests on Wednesday came just hours after Hillary Clinton, in , asked supporters to give Mr. Trump a “chance to lead.”
    One of the , where protesters burned a Trump effigy at City Hall and shut down a section of Highway 101. Law enforcement officials were called out to disperse the hundreds of people who swarmed across the multilane freeway.
    Burning a effigy of Trump outside city hall is a little different to burning whole city blocks.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Have been doing a little thinking re impeachment of Trump
    Initially thought it a waste of time with only days remaining but then thought that the future clones who have been enlightened by Trumps antics who are anticipated to come out of the wood work in 4 years time should be shown that there are consequences for such behavior ?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

enf (14-01-21)

Thanks

Interesting article regarding Trumps use of Twitter and the closing of his account in terms of his run up and subsequent election in 2016.

Taken off Twitter, Donald Trump faces a new challenge: How to get attention.

His public persona was a product of television for decades.

Through The Apprentice, he built a fantasy version of himself as a tough-minded chief executive of a global business empire and a self-made billionaire.

His wrestling match-style rallies helped him dominate television during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Ever attuned to how he was playing and the power of ratings, he personally chose which anchors he wanted to interview him, and persuaded hosts to allow him to simply phone into their Sunday shows.

But as his campaign played out and his presidency began, Donald J Trump, the master of the small screen, evolved gradually into a different character, @realdonaldtrump, whose itchy Twitter finger became many things at once: An agenda-setter for the day’s coverage, a weapon against his rivals, a way of firing aides and Cabinet secretaries, a grenade he could throw at Republican lawmakers who had crossed him and reporters whose coverage he hated, a window into his psyche, and most of all, an unfiltered pipeline to his supporters.

Now, his Twitter account yanked away from him permanently, Mr Trump faces the challenge, for both his remaining days in the White House and in a post-presidency, of how to thrust himself into the conversation on his own terms.

He spent the first weekend of his presidency without his Twitter account cycling through fury and acceptance, ultimately telling people he was fine without it.

He maintained that being “silenced” would infuriate his supporters.

Even without Twitter, and even under a new threat of impeachment, Mr Trump remains until January 20 the most powerful man in the world, with access to the White House briefing room, the East Room and the Oval Office to communicate his thoughts.

He has a press office devoted to issuing his statements and a cadre of reporters assigned to cover what he says and does.

But while his presidency has often been compared to a reality television show, Mr Trump has personally moved away from relying first and foremost on the medium that built him into the celebrity he was before running for office and propelled him to the White House.

Trump allies – and Trump – condemned the move by Twitter, describing it as shutting down his free speech rights.

“As I have been saying for a long time, Twitter has gone further and further in banning free speech, and tonight, Twitter employees have co-ordinated with the Democrats and the radical left in removing my account from their platform, to silence me – and you, the 75,000,000 great patriots who voted for me,” the President said in a statement on Friday, claiming that he and his aides have been “negotiating with various other sites”.

Yet by not using the tools available to a president, including public appearances or interviews for most of the past two months, Mr Trump has in some ways chosen to muzzle himself.

Over the years of his presidency, as controversies and investigations of his conduct began to grow, television became a less reliable safe space.

Broadcast networks, pressured to be more aggressive in their approach to him and his aides, asked tougher questions.

With the exception of Fox News, cable networks that had rushed to put him on air throughout 2016 and the early stages of his presidency clamped down, cutting back on broadcasting his live appearances in particular.

And his adventures in the White House briefing room generally did not go well and revealed the limits of his grasp of policy or current events.

One Trump adviser was blunt, saying that the president did not like most aspects of his job, and that included being asked questions for which he did not know the answers.

So when Mr Trump went to the briefing room for weeks in the spring to discuss the coronavirus, advisers said, he liked the visual aspects of his performance but not the reality of having a back and forth that led to him being condemned and ridiculed for his dangerous statements about fighting the virus with bleach and light and his fact-free assertions about everything getting better.

Twitter became a stage he could manage more tightly.

It was telling that throughout his time in office, Mr Trump chose as his primary Twitter channel his @realdonaldtrump account and not his official @Potus account.

He understood the power of building his personal brand and keeping it separate from his official duties as president.

Twitter gave him a singular outlet for expressing himself as he is, unfiltered by the norms of the presidency.

He would scroll his own Twitter feed, looking at the replies for new topics to throw out. He studied the Twitter trending lists as signals of where the discourse was headed.

In some way, television became the medium through which he could watch the effects of his tweets.

The television in his alcove dining room off the Oval Office was usually on in the background, catnip for his short attention span.

He consumed much of his information through it and watched the coverage of his tweets.

Mr Trump’s White House aides said he loved tweeting and then watching the chyrons on cable news channels quickly change in response.

For a septuagenarian whose closest allies and aides say often exhibits the emotional development of a pre-teen, and for whom attention has been a narcotic, the instant gratification of his tweets was hard to match.
    Last edited by RogerTheDoger; 14-01-21 at 06:25 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Bit of spin there, yes there was a small amount of property damage but........

Burning a effigy of Trump outside city hall is a little different to burning whole city blocks.
    Which little protest did you take the quote from?

Seriously. You want to cover it all up, fine....either that or your memory of history, recent history, is as bad as your childishly ludicrous attempts to lay the Nazi tag on Mathias Corman.....FFS. Even Fester, who I disagree with a lot, drew the line on that lie....

A little "light reading".. and even THIS has been severely edited and watered down as Wiki is always...of course all of the fires that were on the news were in fact fake news I suppose...or perhaps they were celebrationary by Trump supporters...

The US is stuffed. It's people can barely be dragged out to vote and still they complain. I don't know whats going to happen in the next four years, but I fear for the worst....I thought getting rid of an idiot like Trump would perhaps bring about some stability, but I can't help but now think this impeachment will undo any prospect of that.

AND I would be happy to be wrong.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-01-21),wotnot (14-01-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Have been doing a little thinking re impeachment of Trump
    Initially thought it a waste of time with only days remaining but then thought that the future clones who have been enlightened by Trumps antics who are anticipated to come out of the wood work in 4 years time should be shown that there are consequences for such behavior ?
    Hmmm...well argued. The trouble is that behviour, like history, is judged by the winners....and the winners may change in four years. Like censorship, it's a slippery slope...

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-01-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Well, history is going to show that Trump is the first president to be impeached twice. No one will remember Trump's achievements.

The final vote was 232 in favor of impeachment and 197 against. Ten Republican lawmakers broke ranks and sided with their Democratic colleagues.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

enf (14-01-21),Uncle Fester (14-01-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    I've got to call bullshit here.
    Yeah that intelligent comment seems to fit to your kind.

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    It's about time that those Trump haters acknowledge Trump's achievements and stop pretending that he did nothing at all worthwhile.
    Oh yes he certainly achieved more than any other president before him, just not for the general good of the USA.
    He did however make a few rich even richer, good on him.
    Oh and great job on the wall or should we call it a fence, albeit a very expensive one funded by US tax payers.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Well a Big Knob, anyway. Wonder what will happen first, the divorce, the bankruptcy or the imprisonment?

The Divorce, because I think his wife has probably had enough of his antics.

The Bankruptcy because I expect the banks and financiers will probably withdraw their support.

The Imprisonment because I believe he will be found guilty of any one of a number of crimes.

Only time will tell.

There you go, it is the banks first, well the Deutsche Bank will withdraw loans for a golf course in Miami and hotels in Washington and Chicago.

I recon what hurts his ego far worse than just another impeachment is that PDG tournaments will not be held at his 'signature' golf courses anymore.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-01-21 at 10:57 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Don't forget Trump over stated his wealth to the banks to secure loans (memory, wealth about $1.2 bill, actually about $325 mill ?) they will be standing in line on the 21st of January to secure their money and to possibly sue for fraud
    Poor old Don, its down hill from here in when you are on the nose
    Any body remember John Elliot, "the law doesn't apply to me". when he was on the nose after blowing every one else's money, all his friends mysteriously went missing along with his wife

Thanks

Just found this time stamped a short while ago.

The House of Representatives has voted 232 to 197 to impeach US President Donald Trump, the first US president to be impeached twice, formally charging him with inciting an insurrection.One week after a violent mob of Mr Trump's supporters stormed the Capitol, a majority of politicians in the Democratic-controlled chamber voted in favour of impeachment, calling the incident a deadly assault on American democracy.
    But it appears unlikely Mr Trump will be removed from office before his term ends.
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday (local time) blocked a quick Senate impeachment trial for Mr Trump, but did not rule out that he might eventually vote to convict him.
    Speaking after the vote, Mr McConnell said there was "no chance" the Senate would be able to hold a "fair or serious" trial on the impeachment of Mr Trump before president-elect Joe Biden is sworn in next week.
    Perhaps finally the writing is on the wall for Donald Trump.

Thanks

It's too bad. He could possibly have been a good President if not for the fact that he is an egotistical Jackass.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    "Have Spectrum Analyzer, - Will travel".

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,931 Times in 1,509 Posts

The US is stuffed. It's people can barely be dragged out to vote and still they complain. I don't know whats going to happen in the next four years, but I fear for the worst....I thought getting rid of an idiot like Trump would perhaps bring about some stability, but I can't help but now think this impeachment will undo any prospect of that.

AND I would be happy to be wrong.
    Aye, it's kinda like the system painting itself into a corner ~ I've a couple of friends who live in seppoland, both aussies by birth, and even though they like the lifestyle and money they're making over there, they're already making plans to have them & theirs back in AU before 2025 rolls around. The other friends I know there, genuine seppos, fit into that group of non-voters who recognize the voting choice isn't there - as in, this election they didn't consider neither Biden nor Trump to be 'presidential' material, so why vote? It's all become very silly... and as I recall it, that's allowed to be pythonesque from the time of Reagan onwards, when the rest of the world couldn't come to terms with a B-grade hollywood actor managing to land the top job of potus -- what exactly does -that- say about a {ahem} 'political system'? Iirc you mentioned Arnie earlier ; damn right that, and every time I see Chuck Norris, I can't help but think what a dashing type of president he'd make...no? =)

You'd probably need think about that, in terms of 'Hoges for PM' ...except the voting public here is more interested in voting for {ahem again} politicians, not movie stars. I saw a news flash that Trump's really in deep shit now, because Hollywood stars are now speaking out & tweeting nasty about the soon to be former president, so obviously he's in deep poo if the rich&famous screen stars are against you. Not that it really matters, but it would be interesting to know what happens to his US$400,000/yr for life outgoing/retirement potus pension payment, if impeached & a guilty verdict moves the gavel ... the reason it probably doesn't matter, is because his autobiographical book about becoming the first US president to be impeached, twice, is destined to become a big seller, and for sure the script for an upcoming mini docudrama of 26 episodes of "Trump" as a netflix feature is already in the works, and no second guesses who the lead actress will be |-)

English makes me smile ~ Trump has excelled in the role =)

Premium Member

Thanks

WOW, the story that keeps giving
    An attorney involved in the Watergate investigation, interviewed on the commy/socialisttv station claims a number Republican politicians in both houses will be facing charges such as sedition etc due to messages they had posted on line supporting the rioters prior to the riots
    There may be a few job vacancies coming up soon if any one wants a life style change

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (14-01-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    WOW, the story that keeps giving
    An attorney involved in the Watergate investigation, interviewed on the commy/socialisttv station claims a number Republican politicians in both houses will be facing charges such as sedition etc due to messages they had posted on line supporting the rioters prior to the riots
    There may be a few job vacancies coming up soon if any one wants a life style change

Not only that, members of the police force, fire brigade and military have been identified amongst the terrorists who stormed the Capitol.
    No wonder they got in so easily. This is all evidence where the problems in the USA REALLY lie and is now coming into the open.
    With all the weapons they had, many Representatives including Pence who they wanted to hang would have been killed, while Trump tried to hold back calling the National Guard.

Yes it looks like a lot more needs to be done, Trump is now just the tip of the iceberg, the rot comes from the inside.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

RogerTheDoger (15-01-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Just found this time stamped a short while ago.

Perhaps finally the writing is on the wall for Donald Trump.
    ‘Impeachment’ realistically means very little, despite all the media whoo-ha. It is the equivalent of an allegation, nothing more, despite some media incorrectly claiming he has been found ‘guilty’.

Impeachment is made more redundant by the fact that the US House of Reps has always voted on party lines for these issues. If the proponents hold the balance, the indictment will of course proceed.

It is similar to when there are no confidence motions in Australian parliaments. They generally begin in the Upper House, but never get through the Lower House, where the balance is held by the Government. It is a mere political stunt at the end of the day, a waste of parliament’s time. The US impeachment process is the same.

The US Senate will find Trump not guilty. It will then be another case of him ‘beating’ charges, as he did with the last impeachment, which will do little more than add fuel to his mob who believe he is being targeted.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

enf (15-01-21),wotnot (15-01-21)

• Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast