Thread: CCTV Ethernet Cables - Help needed

Thanks

Default CCTV Ethernet Cables - Help needed

Hi All,

We recently purchased a property & had a handyman friend of ours install 4 PoE IP cameras around the back of the house looking over our cars etc.

The cables are housed in conduit & ran back to the house through a opening in the wall he made. He made sure there was no electrical cabling anywhere near the new Ethernet cables he put out there however it has come to our attention that Ethernet cabling is illegal if not done by a licenced person (which makes sense in hindsight).

If anything happened to the house we of course want to be able to claim on our insurance & do not want something like that voiding it. I'm wanting some opinions on how to move forward, should i contact an electrician who also holds the relevant licence for Ethernet cabling and ask them to check & make any alterations to the run to get it certified?

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Sharyn

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

You're correct Sharyn. All fixed ethernet cabling is required to be installed by a licensed cabler with a structured cabling endorsement.

The conduit used must be telecommunications conduit, white in colour and a TCA1 Form completed by the cabler.

Some electricians hold the relevant licence, but there are also many licensed cablers that don't do electrical work... eg: phone, data, comms only, etc.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

intelliGEORGE (10-06-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Furthermore, the installation of security equipment for commercial gain requires the appropriate licenses also. A sole trader not only needs a security license, but also a master license.

Personally, I am appalled by the number of "electricians" responding to adverts that aren't licenced! It is illegal to carry out security works without the relevant licences.

The following links will allow you to look up the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate's (SLED) database to verify if these people/businesses are licenced.

"The performance of security activities in New South Wales is governed by the Security Industry Act 1997 and Security Industry Regulation 2007. These laws, which came into effect in July 1998, have been designed with the clear intention of providing the community of New South Wales with confidence in a professional security industry..."

Verify a Security Licence:

It is your responsibility to be vigilant and ensure you engage a licenced security system installer, failing to do this could place you at risk, both physically and financially as an unlicensed or unqualified installation may also end up costing you your insurance claim.

So what do you need to know about Australia’s security licensing laws?

● Each state and territory has its own licensing conditions and government body regulator.
    ● Security licensing applies to installers, technicians, salespeople, contractors, monitoring operators, patrol services and guards.
    ● Licensing is mandatory under each state’s legislation, making it illegal for an unlicensed person to undertake security installation in your home.
    ● Operators undertaking illegal security work can be prosecuted and face substantial fines.
    ● Operators who are unlicensed have typically not undertaken a criminal history check. Do you want that person installing your ‘security’?

Fines of upto $50,000 may be issued to persons carrying out security related works illegally.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

Clay Turner (10-06-16),mtv (10-06-16)

Administrator
    Thanks

All valid points, intelliGEORGE.

The OP hasn't visited the site since posting this thread, so unfortunately, we have wasted our time answering their questions.

Gotta hate that!

Thanks

I don't think of threads like these as a total waste of time. The OP may not have revisited the site, but other people totally unrelated to the OP may have picked up some valuable information from it instead, but I get your point about why post if you never revisit that site to view the answer to your question.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Turner View Post
    I don't think of threads like these as a total waste of time. The OP may not have revisited the site, but other people totally unrelated to the OP may have picked up some valuable information from it instead, but I get your point about why post if you never revisit that site to view the answer to your question.
    A valid point, however, when the same information is available on several other threads (which could often be found with a search, rather than starting a new thread) often there's little point starting another one.

I (like most others) am happy to provide detailed answers to help, but I do find it very frustrating and downright rude of those asking a question to not even bother reading responses to it.