Thread: My Win10 weeks turns into longer struggle

Thanks

Default My Win10 weeks turns into longer struggle

Following the problem I had with my win10 and Bibliophile thread I want to open a new one as initial restore to an earlier date worked for few days only.
    First of all what I can see:
    After windows boot the taskbar has missing Edge and Store place holders. I have an empty space where the icons used to be.
    Search and Start buttons are not responsive. Starting Task manager doesn't give me much joy as well as it is opens up with "Not Responding" status and shows no tasks.
    I can launch file explorer and start programs from the desktop without any problems.

I did a bit of research and currently going through different suggested fixes and wanted to keep it in aseparate thread in case other people find themselves in the same situation.

The first thing I had to do is to launch PowerShell with Administrator privileges. Suggested way to do it by creating a new task using Task Manager didn't work for as the Task manager is not responding. I found I can launch it by simply opening File Explorer and using File Menu launch PowerShell as Administrator - Thanks to MS for that.
    Now I could try suggested commands.
    1. Running sfc /scannow returned "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Great, I was hoping the scan finds something so I can do the DISM command. The taskbar didn't change as I would expect.
    2. The next step I want to try is to reinstall windows app by running "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}" command in PowerShell. It is still sitting there and I will update the post later with the result.
    The command failed, nothing was downloaded:
    Get-AppXPackage : Server execution failed
    Server execution failed
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopm ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: ( [Get-AppxPackage], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageMan ager.Commands.GetAppxPackageCommand
    3. Will try to create a new user in case my current profile is completely stuffed.
    Attempted to add new account and that worked fine. Small problem though - when login to new accounts the entire screen is black - no icons, taskbar or anything remotely resembles windows GUI except the mouse pointer. Frustrating..
    I know I can reset windows but want leave it as the last resort.
    Last edited by fromaron; 03-04-16 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Add content

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Can you get in to do a virus/malware scan? My usual routine is to run an AV scan followed by MalwareBytes, then Ccleaner. After they have cleaned out all the crap, Mostly the system is happy again. Otherwise, I don't waste my time, and just blow everything away and re-load. (of course I do have a current backup, so a reload is relatively painless)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Can you get in to do a virus/malware scan?
    yes, that was the first thing I did. My PC is clean. The problem starts after certain updates are installed. The system is good up until 19.03.2016.

Also, internet is filled with similar problems - missing Edge and Store icons in the taskbar and Start button is not responsive.

After doing all the steps in the first step and achieving nothing, I restored system back to 19.03.2016 again and the only new thing I did this time I uninstalled Avast.
    I did see few people reported Avast giving them problems so I want to run like that for a week or so and watch out sites I go to.

Thanks

Ok, I am spewing. Less than 24 hours of perfect behaviour all problems are back.
    Can't do anything as PC is so luggy.

P.S. Restored to 19.o3.16 again to gain the system back.
    The last update is killing my windows.

Anyway I can turn the updates off in Win10 Home? I am on wired LAN, not wifi so tricking to "metered connection won't work".
    Last edited by fromaron; 05-04-16 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks

More news. I discovered the recent update pushed by MS 23d of March KB3140741 causing major instability/performance issues for people.
    So I downloaded ShowHide updates from Microsoft and ticked the update off my hair.
    Will see in a few days how it goes.

Thanks

It seems my PC is one of the lucky ones.
    People aware if your PC is behaving eratically try to do what I did - restore to the previous date (update was pushed 23/03/2016) and using ShowHide Update tool, hide it untill MS releases fix for the 'fix'.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (06-04-16),Tiny (06-04-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    More news. I discovered the recent update pushed by MS 23d of March KB3140741 causing major instability/performance issues for people.
    So I downloaded ShowHide updates from Microsoft and ticked the update off my hair.
    Will see in a few days how it goes.
    Is your Win10 version 32 or 64 bit? as I have Home on 1 & Pro on the other; both 64 bit, both have that (KB3140741) update installed with no issues.
    Assume therefore the 32 bit update is the problem causer??

As most of these updates are accumulative, except the build changes, the next update should replace that one anyway.

Good you got to the bottom of your problem.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Mine is 64 bit. And only a number of PCs are having issues with the update.
    Its seems to me it is something to do with the chipset and firmware. Hopefully MS will get enough information on the variety of hardwares and makes the right adjustments.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I have 32 bit installed on one machine and have never had any problems.

Thanks

good on ya .
    i neved had problem too