Thread: earlgrae - Satking Tuning Problem

Thanks

Default earlgrae - Satking Tuning Problem

I have been trying to set up my Satking Vast access for Tv when we travel in a couple of weeks -I have spoken to Vast and they say I am registered and should be OK - I set up the dish at home and tuned into Optus 3DKU and my satelite finder is beeping with a strong signal and also when I connect my satlink finder I can watch TV OK on it all the ABC and commercial station but when I connect it to my Satking I just get 8888 inthe Satking window and it just searches and says there in no signal - I have called Satking help line and she said she had not heard of Optus 3DKU and I should have Optus C1 but in the past 3DKU is what I used and I can't find Optus C1 on my finder.
    It has got me stumped can anyone help??

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by earlgrae View Post
    I have been trying to set up my Satking Vast access for Tv when we travel in a couple of weeks -I have spoken to Vast and they say I am registered and should be OK - I set up the dish at home and tuned into Optus 3DKU and my satelite finder is beeping with a strong signal and also when I connect my satlink finder I can watch TV OK on it all the ABC and commercial station but when I connect it to my Satking I just get 8888 inthe Satking window and it just searches and says there in no signal - I have called Satking help line and she said she had not heard of Optus 3DKU and I should have Optus C1 but in the past 3DKU is what I used and I can't find Optus C1 on my finder.
    It has got me stumped can anyone help??
    If you are watching "...all the ABC and commercial station..." on your Satlink finder, then you are not receiving VAST.

Only a VAST receiver can decode the VAST signals....a Satlink finder cannot decode VAST signals.

Optus C1 and D3 are, for received signal purposes, one satellite (they are really two satellites, but located so close together that if you are receiving signal from one, you'll be receiving signal from the other as well).

Various parts of the VAST system are transmitted from different transponders on each of the two satellites...your receiver won't know the difference though.

You could be receiving non-encoded ABC signals from C1 (I understand there are a few there) but not sure what you mean by "commercial station"......there aren't any of those on C1/D3 that I'm aware of that you would be able to see on a Satlink finder.

You could be on another Optus satellite, D1, which has all the ABC/SBS channels on it free-to-air....but again, not aware of any "commercial" stations there.

If you provide more info on the stations you say you can see it might be possible to assist further.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

irritant (05-04-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Thread moved here, as it's the appropriate section.

There are two satellites co-located which are Optus C1 and D3, both are Ku-Band, so you have just had the name reversed 3D instead of D3.

VAST uses transponders on both of these satellites, not just C1.

It's disappointing and surprising if the Satking helpline don't know this... and that the helpline person couldn't figure out your simple error of 3D was actually D3.

Being co-located at 156.0°E, the alignment of your dish correctly receives both C1 and D3.

These are the same satellites Foxtel uses, so for instance if you have a Foxtel dish at home, it will also be correctly aligned for VAST, (although the LNB may need slight adjustment to optimise the VAST signals)

Anyhow, what Thala Dan has said is on the money.

Satlink meters 'may' be able to tune to a VAST transponder, but they certainly cannot decode and display pictures of VAST channels as they are encrypted.

I agree what your meter is displaying in likely to be ABC/SBS from Optus D1, therefore your dish is pointed at the wrong satellite.

Your post is a bit confusing when you talk about a satfinder beeping and a satlink finder..... are you talking about two different sat meters you are using?

I'm also puzzled when you say you can view commercial channels on your meter.

More info on the channels you are receiving will be helpful, such as transponder frequency and polarity.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (05-04-16)