Thread: Dick Smith TV HD Problem

Thanks

Default Dick Smith TV HD Problem

I brought a DSE TV a while ago and have just rescanned to pickup new channels and have found it wont display HD pictures, sound seems ok. Is it possible to upgrade firmware or fix somehow ?

Model number is GE6805

Thanks Thomo

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Is it possible they are MPEG4 channels and the DS TV is not MPEG4 compatible?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

admin (11-04-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Is it possible they are MPEG4 channels and the DS TV is not MPEG4 compatible?
    It's full HD, but being an old model, I'm also tipping it's not MPEG4 compatible, of which many of the new channels (and some of the old channels) have now changed over to.

The simple fix if you wish to receive the new channels on that TV is to connect a cheap MPEG4 compatible set top box.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have an odd problem with a Strong 5430 that wont show the 'new' WINHD on channel 80 (regional).
    It shows all the others that are currently in both MPEG2 and MPEG4 but despite retuning, all I get on the channel is a black screen and eventually a message that says 'HD Unsuppt'.
    I have 2 Topfield TBF 200HD's in use and they seem to have no problems with displaying that Channel on any TV I have so if you follow MTV's suggestion with buying a STB, check at the point of sale it is MPEG4 Compatible.

One annoying problem has surfaced now between the TV's and the Topfields is that certain commands on each Remote trigger's a response on the other devise and it takes some button pressing to remove the action.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Thanks everyone I suspected as much, the Tv is only 4 years old and when I brought it and it was advertised as "High Definition", it seems many other TVs have similar problems

Cheers Thomo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I would expect mtv sees this problem alot.

I have seen it a couple of times recently h8fg4, and they were newer cheap HD Tv's, ie chinese cheapy brands which is what Dick Smith brand really is, just rebadged crap.
    Whether this also applies to some brand names I dont know, I can only comment on what I have seen. Put it this way, a relatives "newer than mine" cheap chinese brand TV has the same problem, while my older name brands dont.

As your posts says, 4 years old, my TV's are about 6 years old and dont suffer it.

Premium Member
    Thanks

The Mrs here has a 7 year old Sanyo TV in the bedroom
    I cant believe how advanced it is for the small Sanyo of all things.

It even has a CAM Module, handles MPEG4 and all kinds of other things that i am sure are meant for Europe, because we don't have them here.

Sometimes a cheap brand can be surprising
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-04-16 at 01:31 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Sometimes a cheap brand can be surprising
    Agreed, but the majority of the time it isnt the case. They are usually made to a very cheap budget.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h8fg4 View Post
    Thanks everyone I suspected as much, the Tv is only 4 years old and when I brought it and it was advertised as "High Definition", it seems many other TVs have similar problems

Cheers Thomo
    It is Full HD, so the advertising is correct.

The built-in tuner just doesn't decode MPEG4.... either HD OR SD.

And yes.... it's a common issue these days.

DSE also purchased the brand 'name' of JVC, but nothing to do with the former Japanese electronics manufacturer.

They are horrible, cheap & nasty TV's made in China that DSE have been selling.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

admin (11-04-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

HD is only the quality of the picture shown, nothing to do with the format that carries the signal.
    My Sis-in-Law bought her TV (17~21 inch) 2 years ago from Harvey Norman for her bedroom and its not capable of receiving MPEG4.
    I bought one from the now defunct 'Warehouse/Crazy Prices/Cheapaschips' over 3 years ago and it is compatible with MPEG4.
    I doubt any retailers would still be selling any TV's now that areant MPEG4 compatible but while I think the 'Freeview' logo is a big Con, it seems those showing it are MPEG4 compatible.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    My Sis-in-Law bought her TV (17~21 inch) 2 years ago from Harvey Norman for her bedroom and its not capable of receiving MPEG4.
    What make and/or model ? I'll take a stab its from their budget range like Teac, TCL etc.

Administrator
    Thanks

... I think the 'Freeview' logo is a big Con, it seems those showing it are MPEG4 compatible.
    Yes, any 'Freeview' device must be compatible with MPEG4. It's part of the conditions of Freeview.

Administrator
    Thanks

Aldi were out of stock?

Premium Member
    Thanks

I brought a DSE TV a while ago and have just rescanned to pickup new channels and have found it wont display HD pictures, sound seems ok. Is it possible to upgrade firmware or fix somehow ?
    As mentioned Thomo, get a Set Top Box and just use the TV for its screen
    It is all it will be good for (and only just)

Get a box like the U4 Quad mentioned here and you get a HD TV Solution that will handle all the formats
    Plus a PVR, Time Shift, A much better EPG with Recording linked to the EPG.
    Plus plenty of file play back support.

I doubt the DSE TV handles HD file support very well mate

RedXT (11-04-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Aldi were out of stock?
    I dont know and I didnt ask.
    I didnt know anything about it seeing it was 2 years ago until I asked were all their TV's ok with the MPEG4 signal.
    My guess is she needed one at the time and as she has an account with Harvey Norman, she used it to keep it current.
    She does shift work at the Ferrero Factory where they make Nutella etc and she wanted her own TV for when she comes off what ever shift she's on to see TV without disturbing others.

Banned
    Thanks

Indeed, it's not false advertising when they advertise it as FULL HD because technically that means 1920x1080 MPEG2 which these cheapie TV's support.

Best off buying a good MPEG4 set top unit that outputs 1920x1080i via HDMI and use the upscale to 1080p it will provide upgraded picture, these STU's also do other things like adding an external HDD for recording (and the partitions are not encrypted so you can copy what you have recorded to a PC etc), also do heaps of MPEG4 H.264 (MP4) and H.263 (AVI) playback and the ones that have connectivity will do DLNA (stream video/audio from PC/mobile to TV using your wireless router) and Internet connection for things like YouTube.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Was at my sisters over the weekend and she wasn't getting all the channels on her LG. Looked up the model and it also had 2009 on the sticker. Tried to find specs and no mention of MPEG4.

............Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Was at my sisters over the weekend and she wasn't getting all the channels on her LG. Looked up the model and it also had 2009 on the sticker. Tried to find specs and no mention of MPEG4.

............Leroy
    The Mrs here is the same, 65" LG around that 2009 era, was big coin in the day, no MPEG4...
    Same with her Panasonic Plasma which was $6000 at the time.

It is a bit upsetting when you consider what some people paid for their TV's
    All the more reason to get a new Sat Box that also handle DVB-T and T2
    Last edited by ol' boy; 12-04-16 at 01:37 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Nobody (Joe Public) in 2009 knew brass from bootlaces regarding Digital TV and that it didnt have MPEG4 is quite acceptable but come forward to 2013 is a different story because people were more aware due to the the closure of the Analog services and channel reshuffling which means either MPEG4 wasnt high on the agenda as a requirement when buying a Digital TV or the Retailer wasnt aware (because no one told them) or couldnt care what they sold was not going to be compatible with transmissions at a future date.
    My major problems with adding a STB is the additional cost, connecting it and now I have ANOTHER bloody Remote to chase up!!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Is it possible to upgrade firmware or fix somehow ?
    Do you have home insurance?
    I hear a 1.25L bottle of coke can help you receive the latest transmission formats

RedXT (13-04-16)