Thread: Ipad 3 charging slowly

Thanks

Default Ipad 3 charging slowly

Hi All,

The wife got a used Ipad 3 from her BFF while her friend is OS and given apple products are the equivalent to alien technology in our house (GO ANDROID) I am unsure of the following behaviour. it came with a non genuine charger and charging takes almost 2 days from empty to full using this AC charger claiming 5.1Volts /2.1Amps. I have googled this heaps and it appears various theories exist including only genuine chargers will work or after IOS update 8.1 charging of Ipads went crazy. There were plenty of other posts like the output of the charger has to be at least 10 watts etc....

Just want to know from those Apple users what they use and whats the real story on how to rectify this.

P.S the device was completely reset and fully wiped.

Thank you

Look Here ->

Thanks

My bet is that the USB cable is no good, but the charger could be the problem too. Apple use resistors on the two data lines in the charger to "tell" the device what sort of charger it is. Most third party charger makers know this and make their charger look like a real Apple charger. The charger you have might not do this. If you're interested in the tech behind the Apple chargers, there's an article here:

If you search eBay for "USB Charger Doctor", you'll find a really useful gadget for diagnosing these problems.
    Last edited by shred; 11-04-16 at 04:15 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

myf360f1 (11-04-16)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

As shred say's, it's probably the cable or charger.
    I had slow charging problems with my iPhone when I used a $3 cable from eBay.
    I bought a genuine Apple cable from eBay for $7 and it now charges as good as new.
    Try the cable first before you go to the expense of buying a genuine charger.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

myf360f1 (11-04-16)

Thanks

Thanks guys will get a new cable first, the issue with ebay is they say its genuine but who the hell knows because they copy everything these days it may even have the apple logo..lol.

Cheers