Thread: W800 Windows Smartphone with GPS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default W800 Windows Smartphone with GPS

Does anyone else own one of these chinese phones ?

My wife recently smashed my Asus A636 PDA and I decided to go the all in one option ( PDA , Phone and GPS ) as I found Symbian to be fairly sluggish on my N80 and Windows Mobile 5 was good on the Asus.

I received it yesterday and it has Windows Mobile 6.1 on it , Tomtom 6 preinstalled and a 1 gig card in it. I installed Tomtom 7 last night and all seems ok , I can receive sats in my house without an external antenna easily.
    I will also install iGo soon and see how it goes.

I will go for a drive later and test it out. I am wondering if anyone else has one and has any positive/negative comments or observations. It was a borderline decision posting here ( GPS Forum ) or in the Mobile Phones forum , so I will move it there if I dont get any replies.

TIA

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i guess to help you decide which forum, wouldnt it depend on what kind of feed back you are more interested in? GPS usability or WinMo6.1 usability

Administrator
    Thanks

Both , either , anything to do with the unit itself or how software runs on it

Thanks

Smile

Yep I have one. First impression is that it is a fairly decent unit. Windows 6.1 seems good. Tomtom 7 installed with no dramas. Needs the external antenna to get a signal, but it will keep the signal without the antenna, once it has it ??

Battery(3.7v 1600mah) life is very ordinary. 24-36 hours standby. Less when using GPS.

I also cannot receive SMS(i can send) through the phone/windows interface. Only manually and very painfully through the Sim manager. Trying to run sim toolkit gives me a "STK not supported on this SIM card. My sim is old...about 8 years.. so I am getting it replaced over the weekend. Hopefully that will help.

If anyone can help with SMS receival or the battery ? I am open to suggestions. Anyone know where to get a higher capacity replacement ?

Administrator
    Thanks

I dont need the external antenna to get a signal , but agree on the battery life. Its useless.

I can receive SMS but not send

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by popper114 View Post
    Yep I have one. First impression is that it is a fairly decent unit. Windows 6.1 seems good. Tomtom 7 installed with no dramas. Needs the external antenna to get a signal, but it will keep the signal without the antenna, once it has it ??

Battery(3.7v 1600mah) life is very ordinary. 24-36 hours standby. Less when using GPS.

I also cannot receive SMS(i can send) through the phone/windows interface. Only manually and very painfully through the Sim manager. Trying to run sim toolkit gives me a "STK not supported on this SIM card. My sim is old...about 8 years.. so I am getting it replaced over the weekend. Hopefully that will help.

If anyone can help with SMS receival or the battery ? I am open to suggestions. Anyone know where to get a higher capacity replacement ?
    Make sure your phone is set to go in to standby mode on your power settings. When it is in standby mode , the screen is blank and you need to press the side power button to access any features. However , the phone will receive calls and messages in this mode.

Thanks

sanity
    dont you think money would have been better spent on a htc unit or similar?

Administrator
    Thanks

Are they the same price ?