Thread: Translator ownewrship, who actually does?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Translator ownewrship, who actually does?

Today both Metropolitan and Regional areas have translators dotted all over the place and I always presumed the 'Channels' had some arrangement between them to operate the site but one time when looking through a frequency listing, the license's for the transmitters there (not just TV) were in a different name like the Macquarie Bank for instance which made me wonder do the Channels own anything or just lease the lot from a company and who does the repairs/maintenance as required, the Channel or do they 'Outsource' that too?

I know Communities have had their own Translators in the past , many of which closed with the conversion from Analog to Digital but one of the Forum's members posted recently he had participated in the installation of one in recent months and that got me thinking.

Going further is the thought that some members have complained about problems with their reception that doesnt seem to affect others so is it possible that the problem is 'Local' either to a defect in the equipment there or its not been installed or service properly by a contractor ???

I would guess depending on the location of the Translator, the site would have a variety of other Communications equipment installed either in the same or separate buildings, depending on the operators requirements.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Ownership varies.

Some are owned by governments (including local councils), some by commercial enterprises, some are privately owned.

Some are funded by various organisations, but actual licenses are in names of those responsible for maintenance, etc.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (02-05-16)