Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIN Press Release, Times of Change.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default WIN Press Release, Times of Change.

The following article appeared today in the Bi Weekly issue of the Lithgow Mercury 17 May 2016 under the heading of 'Times of Change'.

WIN Television has assured staff that plans are underway for a new program supply agreement to keep the regional broadcaster on the air after it loses access to NINE's programing in Southern NSW, Victoria and Queensland.
    But the future of WIN's nightly local news bulletins in 15 regional areas remains unclear.
    Wollongong based WIN is expected to switch over to Network 10 programming such as Masterchef, The Project and Family Feud following Nine Entertainment's announcement of a 5 year affiliation agreement with Southern Cross Austereo.

From July 1, Nine's coverage of the National Rugby League and shows like The Block and 60 Minutes will appear on Southern Cross Austereo Channels, which will drop the Southern Cross TEN branding and will be renamed NINE.
    WIN chief executive Andrew Lancaster attempted to reassure WIN's 750 staff around the Country in an Email message.
    Mr Lancaster said WIN's Bermuda based billionaire owner Bruce Gordon had given company management his 'full support for WIN'.

End of article............................
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-05-16)

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    The following article appeared today in the Bi Weekly issue of the Lithgow Mercury 17 May 2016 under the heading of 'Times of Change'.

WIN Television has assured staff that plans are underway for a new program supply agreement to keep the regional broadcaster on the air after it loses access to NINE's programing in Southern NSW, Victoria and Queensland.
    But the future of WIN's nightly local news bulletins in 15 regional areas remains unclear.
    Wollongong based WIN is expected to switch over to Network 10 programming such as Masterchef, The Project and Family Feud following Nine Entertainment's announcement of a 5 year affiliation agreement with Southern Cross Austereo.

From July 1, Nine's coverage of the National Rugby League and shows like The Block and 60 Minutes will appear on Southern Cross Austereo Channels, which will drop the Southern Cross TEN branding and will be renamed NINE.
    WIN chief executive Andrew Lancaster attempted to reassure WIN's 750 staff around the Country in an Email message.
    Mr Lancaster said WIN's Bermuda based billionaire owner Bruce Gordon had given company management his 'full support for WIN'.

End of article............................
    Old news but still useful .

Rumor has it that SCMA will not have any of its own branding instead using NINE logo and will also use the same LCN that Nine use, apparently NBN which will be managed also by SCMA will change from using 08/80 ect will move to the same ones Nine use.

The only time you will know it's basically SCMA will be when they do the 1 minute hourly updates for news / sports and weather from there Canberra production facility in order to fulfill the current broadcast licence .

The SCTV (Seven based stations) will continue with the current SCTV branding.

WIN on the other hand when they start Network 10 will instead stay with the WIN brand, the only time you will see Ten branding will be during news (10 news) current affairs (the project and other program like meet the press) and sport (what ever sports that 10 have rights to so basically v8 Supercars and rugby union) everything else will be WIN branded, as for the multi-channels talk is 11 is a lock but ONE might not make it instead WIN might do there own channel with the content they own and try to sell the metro rights to Ten (split revenue and deal).

WIN are not taking TVSN which means that channel will drop off from most of regional TV.

Again nkthing is official until it's been made official.

Premium Member

Thanks

While the content may be 'old', I am guessing its not long been released for publication as I cant see the Newspaper having it filed away to be used as a 'filler' on a quiet News Day.
    If I am correct, it shows just how disinterested the Channel is in keeping the Viewers informed of any proposed programing changes as after all, they dont seem to regarded too highly in the 'Big Picture, do they ?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Well yeah there is still end of May and all of June remaining for WIN to notify what is going on.

If they have no deal in place with Network 10 they are limited in what they can say and if they do have a deal in place well it could be that the deal with Nine/WIN prevents them from making public announcements.

Premium Member

Thanks

There are times (MANY-MANY-MANY) times I have found its better to keep my mouth shut and look stupid than to open my Mouth and Prove that beyond reasonable doubt............but, I still do it..............

Six days let along SIX weeks is a long time in Business and Politics and unless you want things known (leaked) for your own reasons like Politicians are prone to do, keeping 'MUM' is the order of the Day.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-05-16 at 04:30 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

If NBN (Newcastle) change to LCN's 9, 90, etc (instead of 8, 80 etc) .... I am wondering how the STB will tell the difference between NINE Sydney if we can receive both Broadcasts ? (Like The Central Coast )

I guess one will be 9 Newcastle & the other will be 9 Sydney .... but what about 9Gem etc .....

the other way to tell would be by the scanned in frequency (if you can see it) ....& maybe sort them into an order (if you can)

then again may not be a problem at all, I just don't want to lose the ability to receive TCN 9 Sydney etc .....

Bring it on ......

(Edit: I also get two Newcastle broadcasts on my antenna one from the Newcastle main transmitter & one from a Newcastle regional transmitter & I can tell the difference between them ..... )
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 18-05-16 at 05:00 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Escape_from_Oz (18-05-16)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    There are times (MANY-MANY-MANY) times I have found its better to keep my mouth shut and look stupid than to open my Mouth and Prove that beyond reasonable doubt............but, I still do it..............

Six days let along SIX weeks is a long time in Business and Politics and unless you want things known (leaked) for your own reasons like Politicians are prone to do, keeping 'MUM' is the order of the Day.
    what is it again now? 1 and 1/2 weeks down 5 and 1/2 to go ... It will be interesting to see the Sunday media reports because that will be the fist one since Malcolm called the election.

The way I see it its still around 50/50 but the Caretaker Government is loosing the narrative right now, sure BS like forgetting to nominate you bought a $2.3 million home hurts but Electricity Bill is doing what Malcolm is doing, Mal is waffleling along whereas Bill is cutting through the BS.

Idiots like Dutton and on the Labor side those who take photos put them on Facebook and then say "no not I" are nothing in the big picture, that said Bill needs to keep the policy err I mean promises rolling along, on Friday we learn of the real "budget numbers" and from what I read the other day iron-ore prices are not what Slowmo claimed they would be which punched a massive black hole into their "jobs and growth" talk and the other side need to resubmit there money deals to the umpire to make sure they add up.

My internet speed has this week gone from average of 90Mbits to a lazy and worse than ADSL2+ 3Mbits and around this time frame 3 years ago my area was supposed to get NBN FTTH instead still stuck on HCF Docsis 3.0 which is worse now then when it was DOCSIS 1.1

oops this was supposed to be about WIN, no one in regional areas WINS July 1 or July 2 this year.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    If NBN (Newcastle) change to LCN's 9, 90, etc (instead of 8, 80 etc) .... I am wondering how the STB will tell the difference between NINE Sydney if we can receive both Broadcasts ? (Like The Central Coast )

I guess one will be 9 Newcastle & the other will be 9 Sydney .... but what about 9Gem etc .....

the other way to tell would be by the scanned in frequency (if you can see it) ....& maybe sort them into an order (if you can)

then again may not be a problem at all, I just don't want to lose the ability to receive TCN 9 Sydney etc .....

Bring it on ......

(Edit: I also get two Newcastle broadcasts on my antenna one from the Newcastle main transmitter & one from a Newcastle regional transmitter & I can tell the difference between them ..... )

Most tuners, when receiving multiples of the same network from different transmitters/translators, usually just assign another LCN to the duplicated services.

I've seen a few in these instances start another LCN sequence in the 300 range. eg: 309

I guess you'll find out fairly soon, mate.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (23-05-16),OSIRUS (18-05-16)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Most tuners, when receiving multiples of the same network from different transmitters/translators, usually just assign another LCN to the duplicated services.

I've seen a few in these instances start another LCN sequence in the 300 range. eg: 309

I guess you'll find out fairly soon, mate.
    I would think the device would show the strongest signal for that dedicated LCN.

I known when I point the antenna at a different spot I can pick up Wollongong transmissions but as they are UHF band (in 500MHz) and I loose access to 9 and 10 but 7, ABC and SBS are in the 300 range while Prime WIN and SC10 are in there regional LCN spots.

So in that end I would think that NBN inna fringe area would still show NBN in the LCN spot of 09/90 ect and Nine Sydney would be in the 300 range or whatever the device is programmed to do for these situation's .

• The Following User Says Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-05-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I have also noticed that in the Newcastle area the channel is followed by its location e.g. NBN Newcastle, 9HD Newcastle, Gem Newcastle, Go! Newcastle (but "extra" is not followed by a location) ... etc ..... this will help identify the channels

Sydney only has Channel 9 Sydney & 9HD Sydney followed by its location then, 9Gem, 9Go!, 9Life etc .... (on my STB anyway)

So this may not be a problem, especially if you can turn the LCN's off or rename them ? (or move the channel) on your device

& this will only effect a minority of people who live in areas that broadcasts from different cities overlap .... (& I guess some people may not like it)

but there are areas like the Gold Coast & the Central Coast where they have transmitters from both area broadcasters & I have heard some people say they receive both broadcasts at the same broadcast signal level & signal quality ....

As long as we can still tune in all broadcasts on our TV & STB's, & the channel list is not too odd or inconvenient ..... it may work OK .... but I can't be 100% sure until we see it

The Newcastle NINE broadcast is only slightly different to the Sydney NINE broadcast anyway ..... advertisements & news & the occasional different show in a time slot that is different ....
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 18-05-16 at 10:36 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

It's official WIN & Network 10 announce 5 year deal.

One of the more interesting things mentioned was that viewers won't need to rescan from July 1 .

So will spanekdbacon now say "you were right" ?

Ok that is asking for trouble, but looks like the deal includes for WIN to do regional streaming (not sure how that will work) of the Network 10 and WIN produced shows (as in done by Ten productions and WIN productions).

• The Following User Says Thank You to Escape_from_Oz For This Useful Post:

dglewis80 (23-05-16)

Thanks

Hold it, hold it. WIN took the literally only via path it could, signing up with 10, and you expect to be congratulated seeing the 10' high writing on the wall? Bloody hell, here's a tip for you to glom onto - the sun will rise tomorrow.

Banned
    Thanks

Actually there was 2 ways it could of gone, 1: the way it did and the other is 2: WIN went with no option, remember under the rules there is nothing stopping them going at it alone.

By the way, the sun dies not move, it's the earth that rotates and moves around the sun.

Banned
    Thanks

To answer GregAlex question form another forum:

1: the previous time that WIN tried to do its own content was because Nine lifted the ad rates up on them due to the NRL and AFL contracts, AFL does not rate that well outside of its home markets but NRL does, so WIN tried to do its own thing by not broadcasting some Nine production content.

2: CBS Television provides nearly 80% of the content for 11, the rest is from News Corp (20th Century) and Network 10 productions.

Remember at the time Network 10 previous management made the deal and the current management are stuck with it for another 6 years.

3: Technically the 4th real channel is TVSN, joking, the 4th channel was actually ONE SD for those viewers who did not have HD.

Ten simply put don't have the content or money to do a 4th channel from scratch, and even if they could do it, what would it be based around since Nine and Seven and even SBS (Food Network) have the essential market tapped out, what is left for them to do? kids / family? wont work, sports? been there done that, comedy / drama? documentaries? news?

['So.. could WIN try to start its own channel? Branded WIN, with WIN News, some TEN content and an increasing amount of its own.']

If they did start their own channel it will not have any Network 10 based content on it as per the PSD they signed.

It would have what ever content that WIN owns, so the Crawford's library (that is a lot of good if very old content and nothing new since what around 1999), any WIN TV productions like "Alive & Cooking", "Fishing Australia', "The Elen show", local news, local sports and weather for regions they cover ... so unless they ramp up production that channel will run out of content pretty fast.

That said if they have it as a multi-channel SD based it might work provided they can sell it to a metro network.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Its going to be interesting to see what all the changes will look like in Win broadcasting areas ..... (coming in July ?)

but I won't get to see it ......

In the Northern NSW I suspect the channels (Prime, NBN & NRTV) will be pretty much the same content wise as the capital city channels 7, 9, & 10 ....... ? with maybe a change to the LCN's ? but there is no need for that either unless WIN have plans to also move into this broadcasting area too .... ?

I wonder has WIN considered putting their broadcast on the internet ? .....
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 25-05-16 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks

I can't see WIN stumping up the cash to stream any channel they produce themselves in the future, and it sure doesn't do it with the existing in house channels right now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (26-05-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

I had the idea not all areas of OZ had the 3 'commercial' channels (nor SBS for some) but would do so once Digital transmissions began but the 'Regionals' would basically remain as they were before and just relay the program supplied by its Capitol city 'partner' with the exception of advertising and maybe some local News.
    Those in the previous 2 channel areas soon got used to having the extra (analog) channels who now carried their favourite programs instead of just being on the one and will do so again if they have to.

As for 'programing', there are thousands of hours of material out there albeit some so old Logie Beard adjusted his Vertical hold watching them and after seeing some of the offerings on 7Flix, the channels are prepared to screen them to audiences whose parents werent even born when they screened the first time.

As far as I am concerned, all this current 'Argy Bargy' is over money and who has the biggest board room table to sit around.

Thanks

Always been about money , gordon_s1942, since the very day channel 9 came into existence. All the commercial networks are, and always have been in, a fight to the death. Even when they seem to be in public agreement, eg all things Freeview, they are each plotting away in back rooms as to the best way to stab their fellow broadcasters in the back. If there is any doubt about this at all look no further than recent programming rights acquisitions.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Well now WIN, TEN and SCA are all Delighted, Excited and Thrilled with themselves.

"the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beerman For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (01-06-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

So what does this mean to 'Joe Viewer' regarding both programs and number of channels?

Do we still retain the 3 'commercials' as we have now, does this mean Master Chef will still be on TEN in the Metro areas (will it?) but not on LCN5 regionally now?

While in a completely different basket, does any of this hussle and shuffle have any affect on VAST?

With the exception of the unmissable slew of adverts for the shows, I have never seen an episode of Master Chef or the Project and I really dont care who screens it or when.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (28-05-16)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast