Thread: Combo Meter get what you pay for i suppose.

Thanks

Default Combo Meter get what you pay for i suppose.

Hi there i am looking for a combo Sat & DTV meter. I don't need anything super expensive as the people who will certify my work will fine tune if need be.
    I have seen the satlink ones for sale on line. HAs anyone used them, any feedback. $300 for a combo unit is dirt cheap but are they going to do the job i need? Tune in Foxtel & Antenna from on top of a building with good line of sight to towers.
    Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bula View Post
    Hi there i am looking for a combo Sat & DTV meter. I don't need anything super expensive as the people who will certify my work will fine tune if need be.
    I have seen the satlink ones for sale on line. HAs anyone used them, any feedback.
    A number of threads exist which relate to Satlink and other meters e.g . A forum SEARCH will find others.

$300 for a combo unit is dirt cheap but are they going to do the job i need? Tune in Foxtel & Antenna from on top of a building with good line of sight to towers...
    I'm a little confused by your reference to "line of sight to towers" as both Foxtel and Antenna (Greek channel??) transmit from satellite, and in the case of Foxtel, also via cable in some areas.
    Last edited by tristen; 24-05-16 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks

line of sight to DVB-T towers... that's called an Antenna. Clear skies to Satellite from building roof tops. Foxtel.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    A number of threads exist which relate to Satlink and other meters e.g . A forum SEARCH will find others.

I'm a little confused by your reference to "line of sight to towers" as both Foxtel and Antenna (Greek channel??) transmit from satellite, and in the case of Foxtel, also via cable in some areas.
    I'm a little confused as well, but for a different reason.

First, I think I can help your confusion, tristen.

The OP says he's looking for: "a combo Sat & DTV meter."

I took this to be a combo satellite and terrestrial meter.

And "Tune in Foxtel & Antenna from on top of a building with good line of sight to towers." To mean Foxtel via satellite PLUS FTA terrestrial antenna with LOS to towers.

The part which confuses me is: "I don't need anything super expensive as the people who will certify my work will fine tune if need be."

The need for double-handling.

Foxtel certification requires all signal parameters to be recorded, DCP, BER pre/post viterbi MER, NM, etc.

A cheap meter is not going to provide accurate/true measurements to Foxtel standards (if they did, they'd be using them) which means whoever 'certifies' the installation, is going to have to check dish pointing and LNB skew is optimum, because if a Foxtel QA inspects the work, the person who certified it, (assuming they are contracted by Foxtel) hasn't made sure it's as good as it could be, they'll get fined/penalised by Foxtel.

This is where I'm also confused as to why someone would be permitted to use non-approved equipment on a Foxtel installation.

This suggests the installer (with the cheap meter) is not an approved Foxtel installer... which may open another can of worms for the person performing the 'certification'.

Perhaps I have this all wrong, but that's what it's sounding like to me.

Realistically, a cheap meter for professional use just isn't going to cut it.

As the OP said. You get what you pay for.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I'm a little confused as well, but for a different reason.

...The part which confuses me is: "I don't need anything super expensive as the people who will certify my work will fine tune if need be."

The need for double-handling.

Foxtel certification requires all signal parameters to be recorded, DCP, BER pre/post viterbi MER, NM, etc.

A cheap meter is not going to provide accurate/true measurements to Foxtel standards (if they did, they'd be using them) which means whoever 'certifies' the installation, is going to have to check dish pointing and LNB skew is optimum, because if a Foxtel QA inspects the work, the person who certified it, (assuming they are contracted by Foxtel) hasn't made sure it's as good as it could be, they'll get fined/penalised by Foxtel.

This is where I'm also confused as to why someone would be permitted to use non-approved equipment on a Foxtel installation.

This suggests the installer (with the cheap meter) is not an approved Foxtel installer... which may open another can of worms for the person performing the 'certification'.

Perhaps I have this all wrong, but that's what it's sounding like to me.

Realistically, a cheap meter for professional use just isn't going to cut it.

As the OP said. You get what you pay for.
    It sounds very much like that to me also, but was hesitant to say so.

Double-handling is illogical and an approved Foxtel installer would not be asking the questions raised by the OP. They would be aware of the requirements. From memory, Foxtel recommend a particular type/brand/model meter for installers.

Perhaps an approved Foxtel installer is considering "sub-contracting" installations for some reason, hence the OP's questions.

Yes, I'm puzzled.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Perhaps an approved Foxtel installer is considering "sub-contracting" installations for some reason, hence the OP's questions.
    That was also my thought.

I can't see the benefit, if they have to check and adjust the dish/LNB themselves to certify the installation.

Any installer of Foxtel equipment MUST also be a licensed cabler with an open registration with endorsements for structured and coaxial cabling.

As per supervision rules for non-licensed cablers, an unlicensed cabler must be under the direct supervision of an appropriately-licensed cabler at all times.

Not just on-site (an old rule) ..... but supervised at all times, otherwise the unlicensed person is liable for hefty fines and if a licensed cabler certifies unsupervised-cabling or the work does not comply with the wiring rules standard, they too face fines and loss of licence..

The same now also applies to terrestrial antenna installers.... as TV's and other devices are capable of connecting to carrier's networks, directly or wirelessly, even if it's only possible they 'may' be connected to a carrier's network in the future, all 'fixed' coax, phone, data cabling (other than flyleads etc) must now be installed by a licensed cabler with the relevant cable-type endorsements.

Anyway, I've gone OT, but it's all relevant if the OP is perhaps in a situation of considering sub-contracting.

He may need a lot more than just a meter.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (25-05-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    That was also my thought.

Not just on-site (an old rule) ..... but supervised at all times, otherwise the unlicensed person is liable for hefty fines and if a licensed cabler certifies unsupervised-cabling or the work does not comply with the wiring rules standard, they too face fines and loss of licence..

The same now also applies to terrestrial antenna installers.... as TV's and other devices are capable of connecting to carrier's networks, directly or wirelessly, even if it's only possible they 'may' be connected to a carrier's network in the future, all 'fixed' coax, phone, data cabling (other than flyleads etc) must now be installed by a licensed cabler with the relevant cable-type endorsements.

He may need a lot more than just a meter.
    Yep, those foxtel installation police are everywhere. And my goodness the antenna police, wow... you even buy a log these days without the right certification and man you're breaking rocks on a chain gang.

I love the authority, red tape for the sake of red tape. Heaven forbid someone use RG6 tri-shield instead of quad-shield.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bula View Post
    Yep, those foxtel installation police are everywhere. And my goodness the antenna police, wow... you even buy a log these days without the right certification and man you're breaking rocks on a chain gang.

I love the authority, red tape for the sake of red tape. Heaven forbid someone use RG6 tri-shield instead of quad-shield.
    Nothing to do with Foxtel... the rules are made and enforced by the ACMA and whilst it may seem trivial to some, they are primarily there for safety, no different to electrical and plumbing, etc.

BTW, RG6 tri-shield is the most-common cable installed by Foxtel.

Sorry if I hit a nerve... I take it you have no cabling qualifications.

What I posted, may just save your arse, if you weren't aware of the rules previously.