Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nature's fifth force — dark photons??

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I prefer to spell it "aether" REG.

No, Dark photons would not behave like the aether. However, I am disturbed by gravitational waves and hence gravitons behaving like that.
    Though that shows more a lack of my understanding on the subject. LIGO just looks like a more sensitive version of the michelson morley experiment.
    That was one of the reasons I was expecting it to fail. But two confirmed and three candidate signals in six months. Gravitational waves get the big tick.
    But even LIGO confirms, no aether.

What I do think will be interesting is if a dopler shift or a universal red shift in gravity waves can be detected.
    Last edited by trash; 12-07-16 at 02:59 AM.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    New movie coming out soon, saw the shorts only a few days back. I just hope the new Chekov gets a reprise, he was almost better than the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Sorry to be picky actually not; however I suspect you mean the aether, yes some people shorten it to ether, but it is better to clarify & distinguish from ether the organic compound.
    The general structure of an ether.

Having said that, you may be correct!
    I'm sure trash will clarify & correct our altruistic assumptions.
    Right Aether, Ether is the other stuff I have in a can for starting stubborn engines.
    Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    I prefer to spell it "aether" REG.

No, Dark photons would not behave like the aether. However, I am disturbed by gravitational waves and hence gravitons behaving like that.
    Though that shows more a lack of my understanding on the subject. LIGO just looks like a more sensitive version of the michelson morley experiment.
    That was one of the reasons I was expecting it to fail. But two confirmed and three candidate signals in six months. Gravitational waves get the big tick.
    But even LIGO confirms, no aether.

What I do think will be interesting is if a dopler shift or a universal red shift in gravity waves can be detected.
    "Have Spectrum Analyzer, - Will travel".

Thanks

On the other hand, "dopler shift" is a phenomenon whereby dumb ideas are projected at you so rapidly that they seem much smarter than they actually are.
    "Have Spectrum Analyzer, - Will travel".

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

Tiny (13-07-16),Uncle Fester (13-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

hehe, I like that metaphysical description REG.
    Though dumb ideas do sometimes bite you on the arse if you turn your back on them.

I call it "the village idiot phenomenon". I have been the village idiot and I have been approached by the village idiot in similar circumstances.

It goes like this; A group of experts will be discussing a problem and the village idiot will approach them with a simple and correct sollution.
    The experts are aware that this person is the village idiot and dismiss his solution without considering or testing it.
    In the end of course they discover the village idiot was right.

This is not the norm. 99% of the time the village idiot is wrong. The term is just a name, it doesn't imply that the person is actually an idiot.
    It's more a implication that the person does not know anything about the subject when they bring in a fresh view.

The exception is that 1% of the time when the non-expert is correct. If the experts look at the evidence rather than the idiot, they won't be the ones who look stupid.

My favourite village idiot here is of course tytower. He's a bit messed up. But I never dismiss what he says because of anything silly he might have said in the past.
    Every post he makes I read carefully to make sure I understand the topics and ideas he puts forward and then if there is an error, explain to him why.
    Not that he ever reads the answers, and so he never learns from his mistakes.

And everybody loves to throw "tachyons" at me. And while my answers might be rather comical, I can assure everybody that even if they present them as a joke, I always consider even the most radical ideas rationally first before having fun with the answers.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Tiny (13-07-16)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12