Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SkyMuster drop out.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Although I havent asked Tiny, like him I have used the now being replaced ABG IPSTAR service and been aware of the shortcomings of using a Satellite as a means of communication.
    Unlike Tiny I was able to eventually get a service via Telstra Mobile Broadband and quickly dumped the IPSTAR service which I was using until just recently.
    I read all the blurbs and pro and cons of using SkyMuster and with fingers crossed, signed up.
    The 3 major factors for me was it cost me NOTHING to install and I was NOT locked into a contract so if SkyMuster didnt live up to its advertising, I could go back to using Mobile Broadband.
    The 3rd reason was COST............I now have a total of 65 GB per Month (30GB Peak/35GB Off Peak split which annoys me) for $50.
    Peak allowance is 30 GB which is DOUBLE what I had before at HALF the cost !!!

When you have limited like mine or no options like Tiny (except Dial-Up), you take whats on offer and put up with any difficulties it may have.

I did post the results of a Ping I did just after I went onto SkyMuster and it was from memory the same as when I was on IPSTAR (200+ms) but unlike IPSTAR, to me its as good as the Wireless B/B was.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

fred121 (15-06-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    It would be interesting to see what the latency is like (latency is the delay when using sat Internet), Tiny, are you familiar with using Command Prompt in Windows ? Its under Windows System.

If you type..................... ping austech.info

It will show the delay in milliseconds.

We can then see how it compares to those on fixed lines.
    done. BTW you need to correct your previous post; the satellite would be very close to my house at 36,000 feet, I'm sure you meant km.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping austech.info

Pinging austech.info [209.188.84.6] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 209.188.84.6: bytes=32 time=860ms TTL=49
    Reply from 209.188.84.6: bytes=32 time=877ms TTL=49
    Reply from 209.188.84.6: bytes=32 time=854ms TTL=49
    Reply from 209.188.84.6: bytes=32 time=871ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 209.188.84.6:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 854ms, Maximum = 877ms, Average = 865ms
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Ah yes, I did mean km's, otherwise a plane might run in to it

Pinging austech.info [209.188.84.6] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 209.188.84.6: bytes=32 time=264ms TTL=50
    Reply from 209.188.84.6: bytes=32 time=252ms TTL=50
    Reply from 209.188.84.6: bytes=32 time=257ms TTL=50
    Reply from 209.188.84.6: bytes=32 time=256ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 209.188.84.6:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 252ms, Maximum = 264ms, Average = 257ms

Thats a big difference in latency for sure. Your numbers are what I get when there is something wrong with the site.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

That makes sense to me as my best ping in tests was 599ms, yours would be in single digits I expect.
    Then add the 250ms that you expect for US hosts & 850ms is the best I could expect for austech or other US hosted sites.

I have also experienced with some web sites that they determine download capability based on initial speed, which with the latency of 600ms can have you getting dial up speed downloads at first before they finally speed up & zoom in a full speed.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I did post the results of a Ping I did just after I went onto SkyMuster and it was from memory the same as when I was on IPSTAR (200+ms) but unlike IPSTAR, to me its as good as the Wireless B/B was.
    Gordon you need to check your posts sometimes, no one gets 200+ms on satellite! The best is around the 600ms mark.
    On IPSTAR I was lucky to get 900ms.

Here is your Sky Muster Ping results from

Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

I concure with Gordon regarding available services. If you live in the country you have the choice between a rock and a hard place and both are very expensive. Re political post Admin this is a political issue about what is fair and good for all not just fund everything for the population areas. But then again people who live in the country dont need internet they should be outside from dawn to dusk working their butts off for a pittance so you city folk can buy cheap milk and chooks at the supermarket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    It would be interesting to see what the latency is like (latency is the delay when using sat Internet), Tiny, are you familiar with using Command Prompt in Windows ? Its under Windows System.
    This is only part of the equation. Ping is ICMP which will give you latency figures, but it isn't an accurate predictor of the performance of TCP. It is better for giving an indication of the perfromance of VOIP (which uses UDP - packets aren't acknowledged), for which the ITU recommends a maximum one-way latency of 150 ms. TCP can tolerate far greater latency, but throughput will decrease as latency increases, all other things being equal. Throughput can be increased by enlarging the TCP window size, but this isn't something the average user can do, & isn't something that is available in most home routers. It also doesn't work on paths subject to signal dropouts.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

Tiny (15-06-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Here you go Gordon, they are aware of our problems & things will be fixed eventually.

Network Status
    [UPDATE 26/09/16]: Flashing white SNTD – LTSS – Fixed Sat
    Severity: High
    Date Started: Wednesday 14th September 2016 11:00 AEST
    Expected End Time: Tuesday 11th October 2016 06:00 AEST
    NBN has identified an issue with LTSS connections that causes their SNTD to be flashing white, NBN is currently working on resolving the issue and advise all customers to reboot the device and wait for 4 mins for a solid blue light. If this action does not work, please contact ANT.
    Update:
    nbn has advised that they are working on resolving this issue and hope to have a fix for 11/10

[UPDATE 26/09/16]: LTSS – Long connection times – LTSS – Fixed Sat
    Severity: Degraded
    Date Started: Saturday 10th September 2016 00:00 AEST
    Expected End Time: Tuesday 11th October 2016 06:00 AEST
    NBN has identified an issue with services taking a long time to acquire a DHCP lease. If your SNTD is blue but you have no connection NBN recommends turning off or unplugging the device connected to the SNTD, restart the SNTD, wait for the SNTD to turn blue and then 4 minutes more and then turn on or plug in device that connects to the SNTD.
    Update:
    nbn has advised that they are working on resolving this issue and hope to have a fix for 11/10

Outage notification – LTSS – Fixed Sat
    Severity: Maintenance
    Date Started: Wednesday 28th September 2016 01:00 AEST
    Expected End Time: Wednesday 28th September 2016 06:00 AEST
    NBN is performing maintenance tonight that will result in 2 hour outages occurring for LTS services between 01:00 to 06:00 on the 28/09/16. We apologise for any inconvenience.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

Hmmm, hate to tell you this but the NBN is DOWN, Baby (12 Noon) and I am not sure if I heard the recorded announcement correctly but they were hoping for a restoration of service by the 30th of October ?????
    BTW, I never saw that announcement until now, Tiny.

At this very moment I am using my Telstra Elite Mobile Modem that has some 2 GB of data on it and that should 'see me out' for what I want to do presently.

Service restored around 2.25pm and I have found out my page loading problem with Austech is caused by using Skymuster as Austech loaded normally while I was using the Telstra Elite modem.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 28-09-16 at 03:47 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

yep I had an outage this afternoon too!!
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

a word from my ISP.

Friday, 30 September 2016
    Dear xxxxx,

If you have recently tried contacting Activ8me, you will have experienced unacceptable wait times. This is due to teething issues with the nbn Sky Muster satellite service.

We would like to apologise for the frustration and lack of customer care you may have felt during this period; we know you rely on our internet service for business, children’s education and personal use. Please believe us when we say we are doing what we can to handle the calls and to resolve issues for our valued customers.
    We anticipated there would be a teething period with the launch of Sky Muster, but the volume and time period has been greater than we expected.
    nbn are experiencing a wide range of issues from installers not turning up, failed installations, services not activating once installed and a range of other issues affecting some customer’s ability to connect to the service. With the nbn installing a record number of customers with a Sky Muster service each day, these issues are compounded with the result being longer call queues.

We are working with the nbn to try and resolve the issues affecting Sky Muster satellite customers. This will help us get our call queues back to a manageable level. In the meantime, we have hired more staff to help deal with the large volume of calls and to try and bring the wait times down.
    To avoid wait times on the phone and if your issue isn’t urgent, you can contact us via email and . We will be monitoring these and attempt to respond quickly. We also have a on our website which highlights outages affecting multiple services.
    If you need to update your account details, payment information or change your plan, you can do so by log in into the'My Account' section of the Activ8me website. You will need your Activ8me customer number (300XXXXX) and password. If you have recently connected with us, this information can be found on your Welcome Letter that was emailed to you at the time of connection.
    Once again we apologise for the delays you may have experienced and rest assured we are working hard to deliver quality internet and voice services, and customer support to all of our customers.
    Kind Regards,
    Tony Bundrock
    CEO, Activ8me
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

Like that Richard Prior Movie (Brewsters Millions) where he runs for Mayor under the banner of 'None of the Above' is what I have had from my ISP !!!

I do LOVE the option of contacting them by Email, Facebook, Twitter etc but BLEED'N HOW when the internet is DOWN?????
    In my case, so long as I have credit I can access the Mobile Broadband network but from what Tiny tells me, he doesnt have that availabilty and no doubt there any many more the same as him.
    I think an 'Service outage' page is a good idea but again, if you cannot connect to the Internet, what use is it except to see when you were off line previously.

Oddly enough this morning I was thinking about recompense as the companies are jolly quick to charge you by the moment so why doesnt that work in reverse??

Anybody into making Voo Doo dolls as I am considering getting one marked NBN so I can vent my frustrations when the Internet goes down.

I just had a thought that I might post the message Tiny got from his ISP and send it to my ISP............good for a stir perhaps????

lost the internet sometime after 11pm Saturday night and it wasnt working at 7.30am this morning (Sunday).
    Rang the ISP about 11am and for some reason I could not access the router nor could I connect directly from the Computer to the Modem.
    Last heard was that the problem was being referred onto the NBN as nothing we tried seemed to work.

After that I decided to turn on the Wireless Modem and it worked without any problems which is what I used to do the first part of this post.

Around 12.45pm I saw the internet available light was now showing GREEN on the router so I turned off the wireless modem and connected to the internet via Skymuster and except for a minute or 2 hiccup, its been working ok.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-10-16 at 02:43 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (02-10-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Good to here it's back up & running Gordon, hope they fix this reliability problem sooooon!!

If you wish to make complaints about the service an opportunity has been provided by BIRRR.

Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Unfortunately Gordon it might be back up but pretty ordinary performance getting 2.7 mb/s down on a 25 mb/s plan.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Definitely something going on, recently when speed testing/monitoring, I have consistently been getting 20+Mbps, today getting 6Mbps.
    It's acceptable; however it's not what I am paying for, bet there is no compensation for it.
    I wonder if they slowed everything down while they sort out the system at their end (NBN)??
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Current outages

NBN LTSS Skymuster

Severity : Critical
    Started at : 8/11/2016
    Expected End Time :TBA

Activ8me is aware of an outage affecting NBN LTSS SkyMuster services. This outage is not affecting all customers. NBN is aware of the outage and working to restore services as quickly as possible. We thank our customers for there understanding and patience.
    Impacted beams: B1, B100, B12, B15, B47, B72, B76, B84, B98
    Impacted Region: Cairns, Broken Hill, Blackall, Gladstone, Shepparton, Christmas Is, Wyndham, Southern Gulf of Carpentaria, Cocklebiddy
    Impacted State(s): ISLAND, NT, QLD, SA, VIC, WA
    Impacted Satellite: SkyMuster 1
    Type of Impact: Widespread (Multiple States) with Total Loss of Service
    Thank you,
    Activ8me Customer care
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

Not once have I ever had any messages from my ISP about these or any other outages even if I cant get them with the Internet being down.
    Last night about 10pm I tried the Galaxy TAB and although all the lights were on in the modem and router along with the indicators on the Galaxy I could not get it to connect until I eventually rebooted the router (Off, count 5, turn ON) and it connected.
    I have no idea what 'Beam' I may be on but so far I appear unaffected by this latest problem.

I have only come on line at 11.20am and had no problems connecting.

I was going to say I tried out that 'Freeview' TV app on the Desktop and I was really surprised how good the picture was on 7Flix and no sign of any buffering.
    Using the Tablet was a bit different to work out but it worked very well.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12