Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SkyMuster drop out.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default SkyMuster drop out.

All of a sudden I got a message saying I had no internet connection and when I looked the Modem which has a three inch diameter illuminated circle, to see it had gone from a steady bright Blue to a pulsing White light and the internet light on the router was also a different colour.

It was off for maybe a minute and took another minute for the computer network icon to show I was back on line.

It happened around 8.20pm and here at least, its cold with just a light breeze but of course what the situation is from here to the satellite is anybodies guess.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You've broken it already Gordon?...

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (30-05-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

seems sooo, aint I just the clever one.....................

So far I have run a few videos from Youtube in varying resolutions from 249 to 720P, Foxgo, SEVENplus, SBS on demand on full screen that will allow that selection and so far there has been no buffering that I can tell.

I have been connected since the 18th and as of last Friday, my ISP doesnt appear to have been informed of this by SkyBridge as yet and as such I cant check usage or anything annoyingly.
    This wont stop them billing me from the 18th I wouldnt think but I am hoping !!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Hi Gordon, who is your ISP?

My ISP is Active8 & they sent me a Welcome email with new user ID & Password for checking usage which I just did.
    That email arrived before I was even connected to the new satellite.
    Note the User ID & password are different to the old ones I had for the NBN interim sat system.
    That email was sent despite being with them since 2007 obviously due to the change in User ID.
    My activ8 email addresses & passwords remain unchanged.

RE: Outage, my neighbour said he had one as well the other evening, maybe just teething problems as they get the show up & running with more customers.
    I haven't experienced one yet that I could blame on them, have had a couple of connection issues with my Linksys Wireless router though, can't blame them for that.

The pulsing white light would indicate that the modem unit was attempting network connection, so I would say it just had a brief drop-out & nothing to worry about.

See the manual here if you didn't get a hard copy.

From the manual;
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny, I am with HarbourISP and unlike you, I am a new customer to them so except for making the initial request for a connection, I am a 'newbie'.
    Because of a previous problem with using a router with the Mobile Wireless B/B modem, I opted for one HarbourISP offered and it was supposed to be sent to me just before the installation but fortunately I rang them a few days after the date was arranged for the installation to find they had NOT been advised by SkyBridge it was being done so they sent me the router.
    I really cant see why the paperwork is taking so long to go through, 13 days so far.

Thanks

lots of hickups with skymuster atm. A lot of discussion on whirlppol if you are after more info

• The Following User Says Thank You to fred121 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (12-06-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Sky Muster was completely out for me for last 24 hours, back on this morning, just spoke to a friend & hers was out yesterday as well.
    What about you Gordon?
    The blue light was on suggesting all was OK, yet no internet.
    Worse thing was our phone has been out since last Monday due to floods & with no mobile coverage couldn't even call someone to find out what was going on. No way to contact anyone without driving 10km to get phone reception, so I sat back next to the fire & watched the snow falling & tree branches flying while I intermittently read a book & then watched the F1 free practice. Lucky we still have power & sat TV.

Phone back on 5pm yesterday & internet thru SkyMuster back on this morning.
    Assume the SkyMuster outage was an issue at their ground station?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member

Thanks

Bad news Tiny but no problems here of any sort that I am aware of.
    I was online from around noon to after 5pm Saturday with no 'drop outs' that I am aware of, cant advise on either the Mobile or Landline as we never made any calls.
    My guess is the 'Blue light' is just an indicator that the base and satellite are in communication with each other but not necessarily carrying any Data.
    I would accept that drop outs of vary periods do occur due to the vagaries of the weather but not continuously for 24 hours though !!

I wonder what sort of story they would tell you if you ring and asked?

Reminds me of the message to 'Ring this Number if this Telephone isnt working?'

Years ago with SkyMesh, they blamed a non existent Uplink located at Cairns and were a bit peeved when I said according to their own home page, they had 2 uplinks, one located at Broken Hill NSW and the other at Kalgoolie...............both more than a 'Good Walk' to Cairns dont you think???

Despite the six months of testing before unleashing SkyMuster to operational status, the Tech who installed mine thought they still hadnt covered all the problems that could affect the system and it would take some time for them to occur and be dealt with.

I just ran a video my Son posted on Facebook of the burnouts at Eastern Creek in Sydney and I went and checked out 2 coastal Webcams, one at North Many and the other at Bondi and excluding the bloody adverts, both ran in 'Real time' which impressed me a lot.
    So excluding what I posted originally to start this thread, I am more than happy with this so far.

Beats them 4 hour sessions with 700 MB of data per month I had on Dial UP..................(whats dialup?)
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-06-16 at 02:50 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (12-06-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Thanks Gordon, the phone line was fixed thankfully by Telstra techs working on a Saturday to fix where the fibre optic cable had broken under a bridge in the flood here on Monday. Tip my hat to them for doing that.

The NBN Sky Muster outage appears to have been something to do with an update to fix an issue affecting around 200 customers that were having connection problems.

Found something relating to it on WP.

Going by the advisories, a fix was to be installed overnight.

Hi Dave Symons,
    The fix they applied overnight was to ensure that Satellite NTDs reconnected after power cycling or rebooting, and that definitely worked. nbn co reported to us this morning that those ~200 customers were back online, and any who reboot come back online as well.
    Source:
    Cheers, Tiny

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Welcome to the NBN guys.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Tiny (12-06-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Being a totally new system and being butchered about by Politicians with their own agenda's, I dont think its doing too badly over all.
    I wouldnt mind betting those at NBN are sitting on the edges of their chairs right now wondering which way it will go after the Federal Election depending on who is elected.
    There is no guarantee if the LNP are returned to power, the current situation will continue as it is and what will Labor do if they are elected ??

Thanks

the nbn " fair use policy" is interesting reading. lots of users in a fairly limited bandwidth. You can sign up for a 25/5 plan with a reasonable off peak allowance but atm there is no way you are going to get to use it as the dload speeds are so crippled. I cant see how paying for something you cant fully use is really fair use.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Not sure what you mean there fred??
    You may be confused with the current NBN interim sat system that people are on until migrated to the new Sky Muster Satellite?

Speed is exceptional compared to anything else that I have access to.
    See current test performed minutes ago. Download near what it's maximum should be & Upload half what it should be, I won't complain about speed yet.

Last edited by Tiny; 13-06-16 at 10:18 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

yes speedtest shows all good but transferring files from an overseas server during offpeak is really slow. Its not the server as a dodgy adsl connection is 3 times quicker. Need to give it a few more tries but so far not impressed

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fred121 View Post
    the nbn " fair use policy" is interesting reading. lots of users in a fairly limited bandwidth. You can sign up for a 25/5 plan with a reasonable off peak allowance but atm there is no way you are going to get to use it as the dload speeds are so crippled. I cant see how paying for something you cant fully use is really fair use.
    I see where Fred is coming from but the 'Fair Use' policy isnt for him (customer) but an undefined usage allocated by the provider which allows them to decide if 'THEY' think your getting 'more than your fair share' which is quite arbitrary.
    How can you be allocated an 'Unlimited' Data allowance and then be told your using too much???

Personally I think its idiotic to have an 'Off Peak' from 1am to 7am But I will bet you their modeling shows very few will use this amount during a billing month, I know damn well I wont !!!
    I would prefer to pay more for 'Peak Use' and scrub the 'Off Peak' allowance.
    I am guessing after the experiences with the Ipstar ABG satellite services, they decided with SkyMuster to limit how many customer can access it to prevent being overloaded as I believe happened with it causing the download speeds to drop dramaticaly, something that should not happen with Skymuster according to their advertising.

Also along with Tiny, the Download speeds on SkyMuster as just as good as I had on my Telstra Mobile Broadband connection as far as I can tell by using Video such as Youtube, SBS/ABC on Demand, Foxtel NOW and Commercial TV channels like Plus7.

I heard on SkyNews today Labor is pushing to reinstate the FTTP format so the fur is beginning to fly.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

fred121 (14-06-16),Tiny (13-06-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

yes speedtest shows all good but transferring files from an overseas server during offpeak is really slow. Its not the server as a dodgy adsl connection is 3 times quicker. Need to give it a few more tries but so far not impressed
    OK; now I see your point. I did read something on wp that there are certain types of web sites & servers that Sky Musters protocols are having trouble with & if reported they will be testing & rectifying.

If it's a dodgy site, then I would expect there will be no fix, as that is part of the current trend to stop piracy & subversion by all mediators.

Do let us know how it goes.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

I reckon a hosting site is probably considered dodgy by big brother

• 14-06-16, 09:51 AM

Reason
    very off topic political post

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Re: Political posts, take them where they are meant to go. And try and be accurate, Labour is not changing the NBN back to fibre to your door.

To the actual topic,

People do have to accept the limitations of Satellite Internet. Its not the same as being cabled to the network.

If you have ever had Foxtel satellite, think of the times that you lost the picture because of big storm clouds above your house, or when an annoying crow decided to perch itself on your LNB arm.

Ping time to International sites are also much slower, remember when you hit send it has to go 36,000 km's in the air to hit the satellite before being relayed to its target.
    Last edited by admin; 14-06-16 at 05:42 PM. Reason: feet to km's

Thanks

This is an issue with TCP and satellites. The easiest way to fix it is for the NBN to cache your page via a fibre connection, but this isn't really an option if you are the only one accessing, as cache algorithms designed around maximising cache hits i.e. the more users hitting the same data, the more likelihood that the cache will hold on to that data. If it is only a low number of sites you are hitting, they may be able to manually tune their cache to prefetch the data, but I can't see them doing much for a single user.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

fred121 (15-06-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It would be interesting to see what the latency is like (latency is the delay when using sat Internet), Tiny, are you familiar with using Command Prompt in Windows ? Its under Windows System.

If you type..................... ping austech.info

It will show the delay in milliseconds.

We can then see how it compares to those on fixed lines.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (14-06-16)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast