Thread: Optus is removing boxes

Thanks

Default Optus is removing boxes

Optus is now removing the old grey/white box from outside your house, it is happening in Werribee, today in my freinds street her neighbour and couple of other houses in her court had their boxes removed

They have either ran out of boxes (not) or its to stop pay tv piracy, if it is stop to piracy i suggest you get on the cheapest internet cable plan they have to keep your box

Look Here ->
    Thanks

They have always removed these... nothing new.

Thanks

They can keep their crappy boxes. When I was living in the area where I could get optass cable. I use to split the cabling in the roof and make my own box in the roof. This way if they take the box outside I still had my own in the roof.
    I thought that old system already went down. Didn`t it???
    Blown Humax 5400Z, Strong SRT 4658X, Strong 4663X and DM 518.

Thanks

Dont think the old system has worked for about a year. They kept disconnecting our cable from the power pole. Good thing my brother had the regulation ladders for that type of work.

Thanks

We have had our Optass internet disconnected for about 6 months now and they haven't taken our grey box, even though they said they would be around within the week we disconnected to do so.

Banned
    Thanks

They take the "white" motorola boxes from your house if you have disconencted the Optus hone line as it has the HFC to Copper line converter system in it.

See attached picture for more detail.

Needless to say, if they take the "white box" off your house, they simply reconnect the drop cable (from power pole to Isolator) to fly lead (Isolator to set top box / cable modem) to the isolator to the fly lead into the house in order to continue pay TV and broadband cable services.

If you dont have any Optus HFC service, Optus basically will disconnect you from the power pole TAP connection either via a 75ohm terminator or simply unplugging the drop cable from the TAP.

Thanks

they removed my bigger white box recently too. now there is an ugly space above the isolator.

first, one guy came to our door. he asked if we have optus home phone and we're happy with the internet or not. then adviced us a technician would come to "upgrade" our lines. couple of weeks later the technician came and removed that box.

Thanks

the 'box' you are referring to is called a CAU 'cow'. It runs the telephone interface. It is worth approx $450 for a 1 line unit & approx $800 for a 2 line unit. It is good business to re-use the ones that are not being utilised and earning the company a dollar. It's cheaper than buying new units all the time.

Thanks

and besides, Motorola don't make them anymore

Thanks

What's the legality of Optus entering my property to remove one of these boxes?

I've just purchased a property and they've failed to remove it while the property was still owned by the previous owner.

Of course I'd deny access if I were home but could they just walk up with a ladder and remove what they like when they like?

Thanks

Legality, OK when a person gets Optus service they agree to terms and conditions. Somewhere in the fineprint it says that the company must have servicable access to its equipment at all times. Thats why this equipment is not often seen behind a gate or a fence.
    Its a bit like your gas and water meter. The compnay owns the equipment and you agree to allow them access to it at any time.

Thanks

I never signed up for their service, nor any agreement or T&C's. Just inherited the equipment from a previous owner. I'm assuming the grey box is now mine. In fact I ripped it down already. Doing renovations and can't afford to wait for Optus to get their butts around to do it. Want to chop the line off next but then don't know whether I'll get in trouble if I leave it neatly coiled near the pole.

Thanks

Now I have heard everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz808 View Post
    They have either ran out of boxes (not) or its to stop pay tv piracy, if it is stop to piracy i suggest you get on the cheapest internet cable plan they have to keep your box
    I thought the Piracy was stoped because OPTUS moved to Digital or its still happening ???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by genus View Post
    I never signed up for their service, nor any agreement or T&C's. Just inherited the equipment from a previous owner. I'm assuming the grey box is now mine. In fact I ripped it down already. Doing renovations and can't afford to wait for Optus to get their butts around to do it. Want to chop the line off next but then don't know whether I'll get in trouble if I leave it neatly coiled near the pole.
    I know someone who did this, same situation - Inherited an unwanted service/equipment.
    He called them said they have 1 week to remove all equipment as the house was getting vinyl siding. The week passed - he removed all equipment, coiled the wire and zip tied it back up to their wire on the powerpole. It was like that for 4 years until they sold up and moved.