Thread: Connecting NessComms to an Old Ness D8

Thanks

Default Connecting NessComms to an Old Ness D8

I have successfully used my NESSCOMMS software on D8 & D16 panels with 3 and 4 pin serial connectors. I could also connect to them via modem. This panel, however, does not have a serial header. I am not sure of the PCB revision, but it is running firmware version 4.5

The interesting thing is that the version 4.5 manual states that it can work with NESSCOMMS remotely and locally via the the phone connector, so long as you use a modem,

I first programmed the panel the same way I programmed the others and hooked it up to an extension of the phone system here. I connected my computer's modem to another extension and started dialing. The panel would not answer in most, but not all, situations. On the rare occasions when it answers, I would hear 3 beeps from the nearby keypad and the panel would tell NESSCOMMS that it is a D8 version 4.5 in response to product code request but it comes back with a problem about the client code and hangs up.

As it takes so many trials to get it to answer, I checked the manual for a better way. Page 50 suggested programming P90E 2E and connect the computer modem to the panel's phone socket via an adapter. There is a suggested diagram that shows 2 wires connecting the modem to the panel with a 12V battery in series with a 270 ohm resistor. Its does not tell me how to get NESSCOMM to connect to the panel: should it use fax defeat or direct connection. How do I get the modem to go on-line for this setup.

I know the panel is pretty old, but can anyone remember if they have ever managed to get NESSCOMM to successfully talk to a version 4.5 of a D8?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Put the panel into program mode and then dial in using the connection with the battery and resistor.
    It should work then.

• The Following User Says Thank You to MCman For This Useful Post:

NovaKasy (20-10-18)

Thanks

I don't think the P90E 2 E option works in early version D8. Make sure the client code is matches the panel in area 1 otherwise connect while in installation program mode.

• The Following User Says Thank You to PANDATECH For This Useful Post:

NovaKasy (20-10-18)

Thanks

Default NESSCOMMS software on D8 & D16 panels with 3 and 4

I have a newer version of the Ness D8X D alarm system which has got 4 pins serial communication
    on the alarm panel board. Its not a problem with the RS232 pinout as pin 3 is GND, pin 3 is TxD
    and pin 2 is RxD but what is the pinout on the board for those three wire connection I have no idea
    as it is not in the manuals.
    I have tried the random connections but so far nothing was working.
    Could you indicate which pin is for what wire from the serial RS232 socket for 4 pins connection
    on the panel?
    On 3 pins connector on the panel it is simple (as I guess from left is black, blue and white wire)
    but it does not work on the 4 pins connector this configuration.
    Or maybe I am missing some extra setting from navigator to get connection to work.
    I am using also USB/RS232 serial converter cable.
    The software NessComms I am using is Version 5.7.
    Last edited by jag87; 24-08-16 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks

P90E 1E and 2E on and the connection is direct connect.
    Last edited by MCman; 26-08-16 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks

Thumbs up Both Correct

Thaks for the suggestions. Using P90E 2E with battery and resistor worked, but I also needed to match the account number in the software to that of the panel, so long as it is not all zeros. Thaks guys!